Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #811
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: SFW!
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: AAEFX K-OTIC
CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

btb ive been looking into dogcrapp training, but ive read that it can be customed to 4 days a week instead of 3, could you help me setup such a regimen
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
CoopDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #812
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

CoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributorCoopDawg is a dedicated contributor

now that i actually have more days off a week and a better quality of life with my job, i have time to actually keep a log and was lookjing for a way to break dogcrapp training into a 4th day alsohttp://muscleandbrawn.com/a-concise-guide-to-doggcrapp-training/
badass[bad-ass] adj. - the epitome of the American male. He radiates confidence in everything he does, whether itís lifting weights, ordering a drink, playing a sport, buying a car, or dealing with women. Heís slow to anger, yet brutally efficient when fighting back.
The badass carves his own path. He wears, drives, drinks, watches, and listens to what he chooses, when he chooses, where he chooses. Badass style is understated but instantly recognizable.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #813
Weaponx25
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Food
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

BBOD

I am curious. I have higher bf%. I want to work on getting to more like 15% bf.

I was wondering what you think of Starting Strength even though I am on a calorie deficit? I am doing cardio 7 days a week and then the SS program for the 3 days per week.

Is this a good way to lose or do you have another type of program that I should use?
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #814
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackRyan View Post
Hello , thanks for the dead lift 3 week cycle i am doing the 5x5 strong lifts program but i think its to much volume on squats. I was hoping you can recommend a good intermediate squat program. or point me in the right direction for a good overall full power lifting routine. im confused about de loading or how often should i take a week off to recoup from training heavy.
iv started power lifting about 5 months ago but i have been lifting weights for close to 20 years on and off more of a body building style mainly splits.
i am 38 years old 220lbs 25% body fat. i would like to lose body fat as well is this possible while doing a power lifting routine ?
1rm
squats 320 lbs
dead 350 lbs
bench 300 lbs
press 150 lbs

your advice would be greatly appreciated !

thank you
Jack
Welcome to the forum Jack.

15 sets of squats per week can be a bit too much. Before I talk programs, a word about deloading...people worry too much about it in general. When you feel run down or beat up from training, deload. If you feel great, keep going. Base it on how you feel.

If you like the 3 day per week training (like Stronglifts), I recommend something like this as the base for squats and deads:

Monday - Squats 3 sets x 5 reps
Wednesday - Deadlift Cycle
Friday - Squats 3 x 8-10

Friday would be a slightly lighter day for more reps.

If you want to train 4 days per week, I would probably recommend using Wendler's as the base, something like:

Monday - Squats 531, plus squats 3 x 8-10. Then assistance work.
Tuesday - Bench 531, plus bench 3 x 8-10. Then assistance work.
Thursday - My 3 week deadlift cycle, plus heavy leg presses 4x20 reps. Then assistance work.
Friday - Military Press 531, plus close grip bench 3 x 8-10. Then assistance work.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

Also, hope you will consider starting a training log here and joining us.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #815
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
now that i actually have more days off a week and a better quality of life with my job, i have time to actually keep a log and was lookjing for a way to break dogcrapp training into a 4th day alsohttp://muscleandbrawn.com/a-concise-guide-to-doggcrapp-training/
It's not a 4 day program. To change it would require designing a completely new program.

Why not run it as is?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #816
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

ive gotten so accustomed to training 4 days a week and it helps thats i have to stop by the gym 4 days a week anyway now, there my last stop on my route 4 days a week i deliver powerade and core power(similiar to muscle milk, both coca cola products), is there anway you have time to set this up for me or help me in designing it, i will follow to the t!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #817
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx25 View Post
BBOD

I am curious. I have higher bf%. I want to work on getting to more like 15% bf.

I was wondering what you think of Starting Strength even though I am on a calorie deficit? I am doing cardio 7 days a week and then the SS program for the 3 days per week.

Is this a good way to lose or do you have another type of program that I should use?

First off let's talk diet. Diet is the primary fat loss mechanism. Cardio actually causes very little fat loss. You would have to walk or run 35 miles per week to lose one pound of fat.

I would rather see you get your diet squared away and do cardio 3-4 times per week, than to live in the gym grinding out cardio. What does your eating plan look like?

Regarding training, if you want to look as good as possible at that 15% then I would probably use a more conventional muscle building approach.

This approach is similar in nature to starting strength, but more hypertrophy focused.

Quote:
Monday
Squat 3 x 25 rep goal
Close Grip bench 3 x 25 rep goal
Dumbbell Row 3 x 25 rep goal
Barbell Curl 3 x 30 rep goal
Abs exercise 3 sets

Wednesday
Deadlift 3 ramping sets, 8 rep goal
Military Press Variation 3 x 25 rep goal
Pull Ups 3 x max
Dips 3 x max
Calf Exercise 3 x 25 rep goal

Friday
Squat 1 x 20 reps
Bench Press 3 x 25 rep goal
Barbell/Pendlay Row 3 x 25 rep goal
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 30 rep goal
Abs exercise 3 sets

"Rep goals" - use the same weight for these sets. Push, but stop a set when your form goes bad or you feel like you will fail on the next rep.

When you can hit the rep goal total for the 3 sets, add weight the next time you perform that lift.

For example...bench press. You use 155 pounds and your 3 sets look like:

155 x 10 reps
155 x 8 reps
155 x 6 reps

That's 24 total reps...shy of your rep goal. Next week you perform:

155 x 11 reps
155 x 9 reps
155 x 6 reps

That's 26 reps! Your rep goal was 25. Time to add weight.

Let me know if there are any exercises you can't do.

The key with this workout is to always push yourself on every set (safely with good form), and to always add weight when you hit your rep goals.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #818
thescrawnyone
New Brawn

Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: pull up
Fav Supp: milk
thescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality poststhescrawnyone has made some quality posts

sup beardedbeastofduloc

Due to work etc im only able to lift 2 days a week, have you any reccomendations?
im currently doingfull body workouts eg. squat, incline bench, dip, leg extension, tri pushdown. then deadlift, incline bench, pullups, curls, calf raises. all 3x8

this seem like a good routine?
thescrawnyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #819
CoopDawg
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopDawg View Post
ive gotten so accustomed to training 4 days a week and it helps thats i have to stop by the gym 4 days a week anyway now, there my last stop on my route 4 days a week i deliver powerade and core power(similiar to muscle milk, both coca cola products), is there anway you have time to set this up for me or help me in designing it, i will follow to the t!
reading into it more and more i think it could be ran for a very long time, read up on dante trudel, seems very intelligent, hopefully i can make it a 4 day by swapping over 2 bodyparts
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #820
Weaponx25
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Food
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts

I feel the diet is ok. I am on a calorie deficit so I am eating around 1800 calories per day.

A normal day for me would be

Breakfast. 6:00am
2 full eggs
2 egg whites
A extreme wellness wrap
Franks red hot
Coffee with creamer

Snack 9:00 am
Banana
1 oz.walnuts

Lunch 11:00am
8oz chicken breast grilled