Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #71
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRB View Post
I was wondering if weight is a factor of more efficient/less efficient TUT.. for example.. could a 1.5 second rep of 90%1RM be more efficient than 3 0.5 reps of 70%1RM? or are they both considered equal? My thought is that you would have more muscle recruitment with a higher intensity which would equate to "more efficient TUT" if there is such a thing.. Would like your thoughts. thanks
Truthfully, this is overthinking. None of this matters.

You should never be worrying about TUT about 80%. For sets under that it will fall into place naturally.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #72
JamesRB
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JamesRB is off to a bad start

So lifting for maybe 12 sets of doubles is no different than 4 sets of 6 or 5 of 5? all the same and it doesnt matter when it comes to hypertrophy? i guess that would be a better rewording of my question
JamesRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM   #73
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
I would move on. What are your goals? Strength/muscle or both?

Gidday BBOD,

My Goals are to have both muscle and strength. I'm not competing in any thing rite now but I am thinking on having a go at power-lifting in the next year or two. At the moment I'm trying to put on heaps of muscle to give me a solid platform. Those power-building workouts look good, Do you think I should be doing something like that ?

Many Thanks Nath.
I think you should be doing something that is focused on building as much strength and muscle as possible right now.

Something like this is one example. I have a couple guys running this right now on the forum:

Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

Old 03-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #74
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corcioch View Post
Im wondering if you can help me with a problem I had, have . . .

I'll do my best.

Quote:
I am a naturla lifter . . .I am currently in a caloric deficit loosing fat. . . . . . this is after several months "bulking" where to my mind all I did was get fat. I was up to 25% bodyfat or so . . . .I was training some ridiculous body part split, lots of isolation exercises, training a body part once every 7 or 8 days etc . . .
Muscle building has to be set up to build over 2-3-4 years. If you were gaining weight too rapidly you need to pull the calories back.

How many calories per day are you eating right now?

I would pull that up slowly by 200 calories every 2-3 weeks until you start gaining about 1.5 per month. This will only work if you do everything you can to get as strong as possible. Without this your bulk will just be fat gain.

For year 2 focus on about a pound gain per month.

This will yield about a 30 pound gain over 2 year, a high percentage of it muscle.

Ignore weight gain the first several weeks while adding calories. Most of this is water gain from adding extra carbs, etc.

Bulk slow and steady. remember it may take 2 months to dial things in.

Quote:
1g Protein per lb, say 70g fat per day and the rest carbs??
Aim for 180-220 grams of protein per day, at least 25% fat, and the rest carbs.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #75
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
So lifting for maybe 12 sets of doubles is no different than 4 sets of 6 or 5 of 5? all the same and it doesnt matter when it comes to hypertrophy? i guess that would be a better rewording of my question
When you are using less than 85% of your max, research hints that 5+ reps is best for maximal fiber recruitment. The Capinelli meta-analysis also indicates that sets pushed close to failure, or for many reps as possible, are the most effective sets.

I advocate when working under 85%, you stop a set when you feel like you might fail on the next rep, or when your form starts to deteriorate.

I do not believe intermediate lifters and below should be doing low rep sets with weight below 85%. While time under tension is equivalent, this approach lacks maximal effort sets and a constant focus on progression. I do not believe it is an effective way to induce hypertrophy UNLESS it is rest-pause, and that is a topic for another discussion.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #76
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

That was an awesome post BtB. Extremely informative.

What do you think is the main things early to intermediate lifters should worry about in order of importance? Say I'm past the newb stage, but need to to take the next step. What should I focus on first? Second? etc? What should I not worry about at all really?

A?
B?
C?

D and E things that are really further down the road?

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #77
JamesRB
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JamesRB is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
When you are using less than 85% of your max, research hints that 5+ reps is best for maximal fiber recruitment. The Capinelli meta-analysis also indicates that sets pushed close to failure, or for many reps as possible, are the most effective sets.

I advocate when working under 85%, you stop a set when you feel like you might fail on the next rep, or when your form starts to deteriorate.

I do not believe intermediate lifters and below should be doing low rep sets with weight below 85%. While time under tension is equivalent, this approach lacks maximal effort sets and a constant focus on progression. I do not believe it is an effective way to induce hypertrophy UNLESS it is rest-pause, and that is a topic for another discussion.
So even an intermediate powerlifter should not be screwing around with speed days with say 10 sets of doubles or triples with around 70%? sorry I'm kindve moving off track of my original question lol
JamesRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #78
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That was an awesome post BtB. Extremely informative.

What do you think is the main things early to intermediate lifters should worry about in order of importance? Say I'm past the newb stage, but need to to take the next step. What should I focus on first? Second? etc? What should I not worry about at all really?

A?
B?
C?

D and E things that are really further down the road?

A) Starting to listen to their bodies. They are in a transformation stage. Weights are heavier, demands are becoming more difficult. They need to start caring less about sticking to a program strictly, and most about evolving that program to fit their needs.

B) Having realistic expectations. The intermediate years are a long haul. It could take 6 years to go from a 200 bench to a 330-350 bench. Intermediates need to take honest looks at progress.

So many early intermediates expect rapid gains to continue. They won't. Gains always slow.

As long as progress is being made on a monthly basis on some level, intermediates need to trust the process and not enter panic mode.

C) Don't train to punish, but rather train for progress. I would rather see someone doing 2 sets of an assistance work and making progress than to be hammering of a 5x10 and blasting their joints into submission.

D) Get everything strong. This is almost lost in modern powerlifting. There is such a focus on assistance work that lifters often forget someone more fundamentally important - get everything strong, from head to toe.

I have no weaknesses. That is my only secret.

I don't think a lifter should train "assistance" until they have all their bases insanely strong. Perhaps this sounds like semantics, but I don't often see guys ramming back, overhead press and quad work for as much weight as humanly possible.

E) Never waste a set. better to do 8 good sets a workout than a bunch of assistance work that isn't very challenging.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #79
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
So even an intermediate powerlifter should not be screwing around with speed days with say 10 sets of doubles or triples with around 70%? sorry I'm kindve moving off track of my original question lol
I was talking strictly hypertrophy. Switching gears to strength or muscle, it's possible to make gains on just about anything.

My main focus when I look at programming is progression. How are you planning on progressing? That's the key. If that is understood, and the drive is there, then just about any program is going to work as long as there is a reasonable amount of reps per week.

Intermediates still need hypertrophy work from head to toe (see my previous post), regardless of goals.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #80
skids
Max Brawn
Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42 Points: 4,436, Level: 42
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%

Training Exp: 3
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Meat, Milk,
skids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beastskids is a lifting beast

I think you should be doing something that is focused on building as much strength and muscle as possible right now.

Something like this is one example. I have a couple guys running this right now on the forum:

Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

Gidday Mr Beast, Many thanks for all your time and assistance, I like the look of this workout and would love to have a go at it, but the only problem is I only have limited resources and I don't have access to a leg press or leg curl or a cable machine. I don't go to a public gym because of my work hours. Do you know of any other workouts of this nature that I can do with basic tools, Barbells, dumbbells, Kettlebells, Trap bar, Cage, Bench, and the like. Sorry for all the trouble, Many Thanks Nath.

I just found this workout ...... Real Results 4 Day Upper Lower Split Workout

By BendTheBar

Do you think I could use this , with the 20 rep goal system with it.

Many Thanks, Nath.

Last edited by skids; 03-09-2013 at 02:56 AM.
skids is online now   Reply With Quote