Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #761
SmoothGibbonLove
Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14 Points: 715, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SmoothGibbonLove is new to the forumSmoothGibbonLove is new to the forum

Dear Bearded Beast,

In your experience, is there anything a taller lifter should be doing differently? I'm 6'6 with disproportionately long legs and arms (6'9" wingspan!) and I've always struggled with benching heavy weight and maintaining squat form.

Thanks
SmoothGibbonLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #762
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It sounds like your eating is fine. The one thing I would like you to do is get a notebook or App for your phone/iPad and list everything you eat for one week.
Thanks BBOD for looking at my diet!!! Now i feel more confident about the way I've been eating. I'll write down everything I'm eating and do like you said.

I'm also going to start doing more conditioning work.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #763
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGibbonLove View Post
Dear Bearded Beast,

In your experience, is there anything a taller lifter should be doing differently? I'm 6'6 with disproportionately long legs and arms (6'9" wingspan!) and I've always struggled with benching heavy weight and maintaining squat form.

Thanks
Hi SGL,

I would try widening your bench press grip by about a finger's width each month until you find a really comfortable groove. A wider width will shorten the pressing distance.

My only other advice is to get your chest, shoulders and arms as strong as possible. Force your bench press to move up by getting as crazy strong as you can.

For squats, adjustments might be in order. I would like to see if you have any common flaws before making recommendations. Do you have any videos of your squats live on the net?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #764
Fatcat
New Brawn
Points: 811, Level: 15 Points: 811, Level: 15 Points: 811, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Couple of months
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fatcat is new to the forumFatcat is new to the forumFatcat is new to the forum

BBOD is it ok to get most of my dietary fat from vegetable oil (sunflower and canola)?
I know you suggest to only keep track of protein and calories, but after watching icecreamfitness' videos on nutrition i realized i was not eating enough fat at all.

anyway, i guess it should not be very different to olive oil, but what do you think?
thanks a lot!

(sorry if my english is not very good)

Last edited by Fatcat; 08-26-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Fatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #765
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat View Post
BBOD is it ok to get most of my dietary fat from vegetable oil (sunflower and canola)?
I know you suggest to only keep track of protein and calories, but after watching icecreamfitness' videos on nutrition i realized i was not eating enough fat at all.

anyway, i guess it should not be very different to olive oil, but what do you think?
thanks a lot!

(sorry if my english is not very good)
I wouldn't recommend that at all. Butter, heavy cream, and fat from meats, eggs and dairy are far more nutritionally dense. Avocados, Greek yogurt, almonds and nuts. There are a million choices better than canola.

I am not a fan of canola oil/rape seed oil in the least. Here is more info:

Quote:
Like all modern vegetable oils, canola oil goes through the process of caustic refining, bleaching and degumming all of which involve high temperatures or chemicals of questionable safety. And because canola oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which easily become rancid and foul-smelling when subjected to oxygen and high temperatures, it must be deodorized. The standard deodorization process removes a large portion of the omega-3 fatty acids by turning them into trans fatty acids.
http://www.foodrenegade.com/why-cano...t-health-food/

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #766
Fatcat
New Brawn
Points: 811, Level: 15 Points: 811, Level: 15 Points: 811, Level: 15
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: Couple of months
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fatcat is new to the forumFatcat is new to the forumFatcat is new to the forum

thank you very much for the info, i really appreciate it!

my reason to use cooking oil was that i don't have a very large budget for my nutrition, and sunflower/canola oil is much much more affordable than olive oil (at least in my country). do you think pure sunflower oil would have the same problems? if so, could you please reccomend some cheap fat sources?

by the way, i'm new to the forum, i tried to post a personal introduction, but the link is broken.

Last edited by Fatcat; 08-26-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Fatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #767
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Quote:

my reason to use cooking oil was that i don't have a very large budget for my nutrition, and sunflower/canola oil is much much more affordable than olive oil (at least in my country). do you think pure sunflower oil would have the same problems? if so, could you please reccomend some cheap fat sources?

by the way, i'm new to the forum, i tried to post a personal introduction, but the link is broken.
It may be helpful to post a list of the sorts of oils that you can afford (or are considering buying) and then selections can be advised from that; it's difficult to give suggestions based on price if the person trying to assist does not live in the same country/area and not realise what sort of prices people are up against.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #768
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:

I will bump your post count to you can post links.

In America the most convenient fat sources are butter, dairy and eggs.

Like 5kg said, if you list the fats that are reasonable we will help you choose the best options.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #769
jkarvakko
Points: 910, Level: 16 Points: 910, Level: 16 Points: 910, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

jkarvakko has made some quality postsjkarvakko has made some quality postsjkarvakko has made some quality postsjkarvakko has made some quality postsjkarvakko has made some quality postsjkarvakko has made some quality postsjkarvakko has made some quality posts

BBOD,

I just wanted to say thanks for the common sense advice and pushing of consistency in your vids. I was out of the lifting game for about 6 years and I struggled for the last 2.5 or so years finding my way back in. Between the rep goal progression and just making training a priority, I'm finally progressing in all the big lifts.

Thanks again!
Josh
jkarvakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #770
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarvakko View Post
BBOD,

I just wanted to say thanks for the common sense advice and pushing of consistency in your vids. I was out of the lifting game for about 6 years and I struggled for the last 2.5 or so years finding my way back in. Between the rep goal progression and just making training a priority, I'm finally progressing in all the big lifts.

Thanks again!
Josh
Thanks for taking the time to let me know how things are going. It means a lot to hear success stories. Stay strong and let me know if you need anything.