Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #701
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Hey Steve, I'm looking to add a lot of strength and mass but mostly strength. The problem is my gym limits me to dumbbells, smith machines, a leg press, EZ bars, and other machines. I was wondering if you could tell me of a workout out or send me a link of a workout from Muscle And Strength that would fit the equipment that I'm limited to. If you could help me out with that it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sure thing. Before I make a suggestion, could you tell me your lifting experience. How long have you been lifting, or are you new to the iron?

If you're new I have a couple suggestions.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #702
Adamite1114
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Sure thing. Before I make a suggestion, could you tell me your lifting experience. How long have you been lifting, or are you new to the iron?

If you're new I have a couple suggestions.
I am nineteen I've been lifting since I was about thirteen, trained by my dad. For four years he had me on a push/pull regimen with low reps. I took a short break for a few month and once I started up again I was working with a fullbody routine. I recently made the switch to your Strength And Density routine but thought it would be good to get your input. I'm about 5'6" and weigh in at 141. And I've been told I have good form on my squat and deadlift from experienced lifters. I biggest challenge has always been gaining muscle size. That's about it I believe.
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:50 AM   #703
Salamicopter
Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7 Points: 376, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Salamicopter is new to the forumSalamicopter is new to the forum
Default supersetting of antagonistic muscle groups such as chest/back

do you believe that super setting chest/back as well as biceps/triceps is optimal for hypertrophy?
Salamicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #704
Simonb26189
New Brawn
Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12 Points: 613, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: Gorilla Beast Press
Simonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good startSimonb26189 is off to a good start

Bearded beast please help i am confused.. You say that the best way to make gains is to train with progressive resistance and the program you use doesnt matter... But I prefer to use high volume workouts like GVT instead of typical 3x10 schemes. Do you think its better to apply prog res to more normal programs with 3x10 or should i stick with GVT and apply progressive resistance with this scheme? Cheers!
Simonb26189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #705
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamicopter View Post
do you believe that super setting chest/back as well as biceps/triceps is optimal for hypertrophy?
No.

It's a tool. The magic is using progression for several years and not missing workouts. Tools in and off themselves still require progression. Progression is the constant. How you train really doesn't matter. People make gains on everything, because they are progressing.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #706
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Bearded beast please help i am confused.. You say that the best way to make gains is to train with progressive resistance and the program you use doesnt matter... But I prefer to use high volume workouts like GVT instead of typical 3x10 schemes. Do you think its better to apply prog res to more normal programs with 3x10 or should i stick with GVT and apply progressive resistance with this scheme? Cheers!

GVT requires progressive resistance to grow. Everything does.

If you use it from today forward, you won't make any gains after a while because you are not adding resistance. Your body will adapt. It might take a while, but it will adapt.

So you will definitely need to add weight.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #707
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
I am nineteen I've been lifting since I was about thirteen, trained by my dad. For four years he had me on a push/pull regimen with low reps. I took a short break for a few month and once I started up again I was working with a fullbody routine. I recently made the switch to your Strength And Density routine but thought it would be good to get your input. I'm about 5'6" and weigh in at 141. And I've been told I have good form on my squat and deadlift from experienced lifters. I biggest challenge has always been gaining muscle size. That's about it I believe.

Here's a fullbody you could try. It's simply a starting point, so if there are any exercises that don't work, let me know.

Quote:
my gym limits me to dumbbells, smith machines, a leg press, EZ bars, and other machines

Monday
Leg Press - 3 sets x 15-20 reps
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 reps
One Arm Dumbbell Row - 3 Sets of 15 reps
Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press - 3 sets x 10 reps
Dumbbell Still Leg Deadlifts - 2 sets x 10-15 reps
Skullcrushers or Cable Tricep Extensions - 2 sets x 10 reps *
Dumbbell Curls or EZ Bar Curls - 2 sets x 10-12 reps *

Wednesday
Goblet Squats - 3 sets x 10 reps
Push Ups - 3 sets to Failure
Pull Ups (3 sets to failure) or Lat Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Bent Over Reverse Flyes - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs - 2 sets x 10-15 reps

Friday
Dumbbell Lunges - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Machine Chest Press or Smith Machine Incline Press or Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Machine Row or Smith Machine Row - 3 sets x 10 reps
Machine Overhead Press or Smith Machine overhead press - 3 sets x 10 reps
Leg Curls - 2 sets x 10-15 reps

*Alternate these exercises from workout to workout

You can do ab work as you desire.

IMPORTANT: Use the same weight for each of the sets of a given exercise. Add weight when you can. Progression using good form is essential.

Reps listed are merely a guideline, and not magic. Feel free to adjust the reps per set as needed. You also don't have to hit the number of reps per set for every set. Again, they are merely a guideline.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #708
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Lots of good info in this thread that I've missed lately.

If there were only a way to mark it or something so I won't miss anything.

Thanks Steve.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #709
moeheep
Max Brawn
Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65 Points: 9,512, Level: 65
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: 1.5 years
Fav Exercise: DEADS
Fav Supp: Condense
moeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite membermoeheep is an elite member

Go to the bar on top of the top post...click on "Thread Tools" than click on "Subscribe to this Thread"

Best Meet Lifts:
Squat = 325
Bench = 210
Dead = 353
Total = 888

The iron is there during my times of happiness, sadness and anger. The iron is there available through the 4 seasons and inclement weather. The iron is there to either comfort me or motivate me. The Iron manages to show me how strong I am or how humble I need to be. The iron does not yell, but it always demands respect. The iron is not a disciplinarian, but when disrespected, I feel it for a long time. The iron does not love or hate, but we definitely share a strong bond. And no matter how far I stay away or for how long, the iron is there, waiting to be lifted.
moeheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #710
Adamite1114
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Here's a fullbody you could try. It's simply a starting point, so if there are any exercises that don't work, let me know.

Monday
Leg Press - 3 sets x 15-20 reps
Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 reps
One Arm Dumbbell Row - 3 Sets of 15 reps
Seated Overhead Dumbbell Press - 3 sets x 10 reps
Dumbbell Still Leg Deadlifts - 2 sets x 10-15 reps

Wednesday
Goblet Squats - 3 sets x 10 reps
Push Ups - 3 sets to Failure
Pull Ups (3 sets to failure) or Lat Pull Downs - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Bent Over Reverse Flyes - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Dumbbell Shrugs - 2 sets x 10-15 reps

Friday
Dumbbell Lunges - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Machine Chest Press or Smith Machine Incline Press or Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Machine Row or Smith Machine Row - 3 sets x 10 reps
Machine Overhead Press or Smith Machine overhead press - 3 sets x 10 reps
Leg Curls - 2 sets x 10-15 reps

*Alternate these exercises from workout to workout

You can do ab work as you desire.

IMPORTANT: Use the same weight for each of the sets of a given exercise. Add weight when you can. Progression using good form is essential.

Reps listed are merely a guideline, and not magic. Feel free to adjust the reps per set as needed. You also don't have to hit the number of reps per set for every set. Again, they are merely a guideline.
Thank you so much for the suggested workout out. I've been trying to find the right one for so long with the equipment I have and I really appreciate it. One question though, as to reps; I understand there's no magic range of reps but a lot of articles that I've read have said that it's best to go in a low range (between 5-8) for adding mass or size. I was just wondering if you could shed some light on this common recommendation, is it true for mass or more of a myth?
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote