Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #691
mohiz
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23 Points: 1,621, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 yrs
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: squat
Fav Supp: creatine, beta-alanine
mohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributormohiz is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
No, not cheating. But I do recommend some sort of intense quad work if you do a wider stance. Wide stances are harder to master, but easier for some.
Thanks again. It blows my mind how a complete stranger like me can just come in here and ask for advice, and get friendly replies Now I can feel more confident about my form. I'm one of those to whom squatting wide is easier; it actually feels more comfortable to my hips than a narrow stance.
mohiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #692
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Without elevated testosterone rates, and the subsequent boost in protein synthesis rates, you lose steroid gains. You do NOT lose HGH gains.

The people that might retain steroid gains are the guys who were under their natty potential to begin with. If you add muscle, and still are at or below natty potential, I imagine there is a greater likelihood your body will keep some/most of those gains.

Powerlifters generally take much less than bodybuilders. Some of them choose to use vanity chemicals so that they look big, have a hard time gaining body fay, and stay lean. This is not to say all big and lean powerlifters you vanity chems, but I've heard rumors of several.

It might come as a surprise that many top level powerlifters use far less than people suspect. A little can go a long way in powerlifting.

This is one of the reasons that top level bodybuilders and powerlifters have muscle, but the bodybuilders have more (typically). There are certainly some big powerlifters, but most of them aren't taking anywhere near the same level of chems as top level bodybuilders.

Again, this is a highly personal thing.
When you say vanity chems, do you mean stuff like trenbolone and clenbuterol? I guess a bit of Dbol goes a long way.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #693
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
When you say vanity chems, do you mean stuff like trenbolone and clenbuterol? I guess a bit of Dbol goes a long way.
When I say chems, I mean the entire gamut. Bodybuilders use all kinds of stuff, from multiple steroids, to HGH, to clen, to slin, to peptides...on and on and on.

Many powerlifters just use test.

Bodybuilders use specific chemicals that help either increase muscle tissue size or decrease fat levels. Powerlifters use (typically) only a chem or two that helps them get stronger.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #694
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Do you know anything about hypertrophy specific training? Does it work?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #695
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Do you know anything about hypertrophy specific training? Does it work?
HST, yes. It's a modernized fullbody approach with periodization. Basically the old school HLM (Heavy, Light, Medium), reworked.

It works. Everything works. It may take 3-4 weeks to get use to fullbody though.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #696
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

Quote:
You need to pull your feet back 2-3 inches. Your body type makes it nearly impossible to setup that close and sink your hips. From this position sink your hips to a good leverage point and drive up with your head, pulling the bar back towards your body.
Hey i have an updated video and i tried incorporating what you said. i still feel like my hips are pretty high but if i but them any lower they will shoot up before the bar leaves the ground. is there any further advice you can give me or is this a passable deadlift. im lifting 335 in the vid.
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #697
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
Hey i have an updated video and i tried incorporating what you said. i still feel like my hips are pretty high but if i but them any lower they will shoot up before the bar leaves the ground. is there any further advice you can give me or is this a passable deadlift. im lifting 335 in the vid.
Are your shins hitting the bar on those first couple of reps?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #698
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Are your shins hitting the bar on those first couple of reps?
No Im about 2 to 3 Inches behind it
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #699
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainter89 View Post
No Im about 2 to 3 Inches behind it
Sink your hips until your shins are right on the bar. Try one more video.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #700
Adamite1114
Max Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Hey Steve, I'm looking to add a lot of strength and mass but mostly strength. The problem is my gym limits me to dumbbells, smith machines, a leg press, EZ bars, and other machines. I was wondering if you could tell me of a workout out or send me a link of a workout from Muscle And Strength that would fit the equipment that I'm limited to. If you could help me out with that it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Adamite1114 is online now   Reply With Quote