Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #661
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Please do not critique other member's form in this thread. Thanks.
Bump.

Folks are coming here asking for my assistance. Please respect that. Unless I trust your form and advice, I am to assume you are parroting advice. Please do not do that in my thread.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #662
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
I find more benefit from knee wraps and wrist wraps to be honest.

When is it necessary to get a belt? Never. Unless you have some special back condition that makes the use of one feel better. I went without a belt for 23+ years. Now that I use one, I can confidently say that wraps are of a greater overall benefit.

Get wraps, use them, and they maybe play around with a less expensive belt to see if you find value.
Love this, but I prefer knee sleeves since not all federations allow knee wraps and the Army very successfuly drilled the "train as you fight" mentality into me.

Now for my question. I know you;r not a strongman competitor, but do you think 35 is too old to "break into" strongman? I barely touched novice numbers last year, so I took this year off from contests and am now focusing my attention on getting my deadlift & OH press numbers way up (600+ & 200+ respectively) as well as conditioning but is it possible that I'm simply past my prime to touch open division contests next year, naturally?

Last edited by Trevor Lane; 07-24-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #663
Ainter89
New Brawn

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

Quote:
You need to pull your feet back 2-3 inches. Your body type makes it nearly impossible to setup that close and sink your hips. From this position sink your hips to a good leverage point and drive up with your head, pulling the bar back towards your body.
thanks BBOD
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #664
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Assistance work during Smolov Jr? Thanks for following my log religiously, Steve.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #665
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Now for my question. I know you;r not a strongman competitor, but do you think 35 is too old to "break into" strongman? I barely touched novice numbers last year, so I took this year off from contests and am now focusing my attention on getting my deadlift & OH press numbers way up (600+ & 200+ respectively) as well as conditioning but is it possible that I'm simply past my prime to touch open division contests next year, naturally?
No, I think 35 is ok. The key really is listening to your body. I have had to pull back the volume slightly to find that sweet spot. I could beat up my body when I was 22. At 35+ I would recommend training for progress and not punishment. A hidden aspect of this might involve exercise rotation. For example, on deadlifts I rarely floor pull to save my back, but have found several slightly less taxing variations - 3" pulls and power shrugs - that allow my deadlift to keep moving.

I keep getting stronger. I think you can do the same if you make sure to leave the gym each day when something isn't 100%, or when something feels done for the day.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #666
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Assistance work during Smolov Jr? Thanks for following my log religiously, Steve.
If doing Smolov Jr for bench, no other pressing lifts. Most I would do is add rows, pull ups and maybe some curls.

I also like having one workout per week that hits squats and deads, but not crazy. When you work a specialization program the assistance work is most for maintaining the other lifts, so keep it minimal and no more than moderately taxing.

Monday – 6 x 6 @70%
Wednesday – 7 x 5 @ 75%
Friday – 8 x 4@80%
Saturday – 10 x 3@ 85%

You could maybe add assistance work after benching like this:

Monday – Deadlift (low rack pulls) (1-2 sets x 2-5 reps)
Wednesday – Pull Ups (2-3 sets)
Friday – One Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
Saturday – Squats (2-3 sets x 5 reps)

If you are doing Smolov for squats, then I would add pullups, bench, rows and OHP as assistance. Maybe one moderate low rack deadlift day with minimal sets to maintain.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #667
Trevor Lane
I am a VIKING!
Max Brawn

Training Exp: A few
Training Type: Wendler 531
Fav Supp: T-Bomb II
Trevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beastTrevor Lane is a lifting beast

Quote:
No, I think 35 is ok. The key really is listening to your body. I have had to pull back the volume slightly to find that sweet spot. I could beat up my body when I was 22. At 35+ I would recommend training for progress and not punishment. A hidden aspect of this might involve exercise rotation. For example, on deadlifts I rarely floor pull to save my back, but have found several slightly less taxing variations - 3" pulls and power shrugs - that allow my deadlift to keep moving.

I keep getting stronger. I think you can do the same if you make sure to leave the gym each day when something isn't 100%, or when something feels done for the day.
Thanks Steve.
Trevor Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #668
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Can you talk about what one would expect, go through, and need for a powerlifting meet? What a newb would experience per say.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #669
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Thanks Steve.
You bet.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #670
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Can you talk about what one would expect, go through, and need for a powerlifting meet? What a newb would experience per say.
Well firstly, terror and lack of sleep. Then, immediately upon waking likely constipation or the runs, followed by an all day adrenaline rush. I take a probiotic first thing in the morning in case I get the runs.

I come fully prepared, with wraps, a spare singlet, extra socks and undies, heating cremes. protein bars, jerky, fruit, sodium and potassium supplements, BCAAs and protein powders. And a bonus pair of shoe laces.

Some meets can be a long day. Sit as much as possible, and drink, drink, drink. Relax when you can.

You want to start warming up 30-45 minutes before your flight begins. I prefer to get in early and warmup slow. Getting in late has too many risks. I typically do one warmup set every 4-5 minutes. Don't over-warmup.

You need a right hand man there - a handler - who can watch the clock and keep you up to date.

Make sure to attend the rules meeting and to get your equipment checked. If you don't know when these are to occur, ask. Ask early.

For your first meet don't worry about weight class. Worry about surviving.

Your first squat will be terrifying. Do something reasonably light, that you can hit depth on 100% of the time even if you puke and trip. With that out of the way, you will start to relax.

After squats are done, you will be riding high. I have a tendency to get cocky and too aggressive with my bench numbers. I would recommend saving a PR attempt on bench for your third lift.

By the time deadlifts hit your lower back might be torched from standing so much.

After the meet you will feel exhausted but high. Once you get your trophy you will most likely want to do it again next weekend.

Competing against yourself on a platform is like nothing else.