Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #631
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berd View Post
Hey Steve,

Do you know any good ways to build a thick neck?

Thanks brother

Build up the entire body. The neck will follow. If you feel your neck is really small, use a neck harness and do a ton of heavy shrugs.

Amazon.com: Harbinger 373301 Leather Neck / Head Harness: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Harbinger 373301 Leather Neck / Head Harness: Sports & Outdoors

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #632
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorship View Post
How important is it to switch up your grip for DL? Im so used to my left over and my right under to hold the bar, but i heard somewhere through the internet or grape vine that its terrible to stick to one grip. Thoughts?
I think before you switch, you need to make sure you are lifting with straight arms either way. This will help prevent bicep injuries.

Unless you are a competitor, I don't recommend an over/under. I recommend a double overhand using straps or Versa Gripps.

If you are a competitor, only switch up your over/under if you feel they are comparable. If one side feels awkward, you could end up tweaking your back. If they feel ok, then alternate every other workout if you'd like.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #633
steveninthematrix
Brawn
Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

steveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think before you switch, you need to make sure you are lifting with straight arms either way. This will help prevent bicep injuries.

Unless you are a competitor, I don't recommend an over/under. I recommend a double overhand using straps or Versa Gripps.

If you are a competitor, only switch up your over/under if you feel they are comparable. If one side feels awkward, you could end up tweaking your back. If they feel ok, then alternate every other workout if you'd like.
my take is, its important to swop from time to time... no matter how straight you have your arms, the bar torques the body differently, and you end up possibly with an imbalance....... I do all my warmups for reps one way, then swop at 405lbs for the rest; so far, so good.
steveninthematrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #634
T800
New Brawn
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

T800 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Natural gains have been studied exhaustively. For a non-underweight lifter, the following gains curve can be expected. These are upper limits per year. They can sometimes be exceed by large-boned lifters, or by a small percentage. Please note they are pounds of muscle.

Year 1 - 16 pounds
Year 2 - 8 pounds
Year 3 - 4 pounds
Year 4 - 2 pounds
Year 5 - 1 pounds

The important thing to note is that each of us has a natural limit determined by our physiology. Think of it like a glass of water. The faster you drink from this glass, the less there is to drink from it in the future.

So if you started slow the first several years, quality gains could still be had for years to come.

Regarding weight and gains, if you have been training for 12 years and weigh 130, something's seriously broken. I don't mean that in a disrespectful manner, but most first novice natural bodybuilders compete around 160.

You can expect rapid gains, but first we would need to analyze if your strength training practices and eating habits are conducive for gains.
I don't like the sound of something being seriously broken

I am ridiculously light and I do weigh less than I did when I started training-therefore I still think I have a lot of growth potential.

That being said I don't think I look to bad considering that I weigh the same amount as a small girl. These were taken yesterday after training:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo fron tensed.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	9633   Click image for larger version

Name:	front 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	9634   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo front.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	9635  
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #635
Gorship
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
Gorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributor

Quote:

This sounds silly - but everytime i try and use straps.. i spend so much time trying to wrap them, i stand up and get light headed and need to stop the operation. LOL.

edit: I also feel much stronger over under for some reason... but i spose i can try and go back to double over.. I was switching the hands around for light sets and warmups so that things kinda balanced. However I def can lift more L hand over / R hand under for some odd reason.
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #636
Ainter89
New Brawn
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7

Ainter89 is off to a bad start

On squat do you initiate the movement at the knees or the hips first, or both at the same time?
Ainter89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #637
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

How to break an overhead press plateau? More sets, more reps, more food?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #638
Aaron
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

Aaron is off to a bad start
Default Elbow tendonitis

Hello dude could you help me out with advice on a problem I am battling with i.e. left elbow tendonitis for a few months which is affecting my deadlift and very frustrating. Even had this . What can help. thanks so much.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #639
steveninthematrix
Brawn
Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13

steveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Hello dude could you help me out with advice on a problem I am battling with i.e. left elbow tendonitis for a few months which is affecting my deadlift and very frustrating. Even had this . What can help. thanks so much.
my advice, grab a short handle (1 foot or so), with a few lbs (5-10) on the end furthest from you, in a hammer grip, and "wrist curl" it up...

if you dont have that, use a dumbbell, keep a strict hammer grip, and go straight up and down

do for a week and watch your elbow get better
steveninthematrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #640
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
I don't like the sound of something being seriously broken

I am ridiculously light and I do weigh less than I did when I started training-therefore I still think I have a lot of growth potential.

That being said I don't think I look to bad considering that I weigh the same amount as a small girl. These were taken yesterday after training:
Nah you're gains are not broken. You look better than most pros. Height can mess things up so without knowing that I'm shooting blind.