Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #621
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
Hello mate,
Recently subscribed to your Youtube channel and working my way through your videos!
Welcome aboard, and great avatar.

Quote:
Is there anything glaringly wrong with the plan routine?
Not on paper. It's a very good base. My main advice is to consider it a starting point. All good programs begin at Point A and evolve over time. Don't get frustrated if things don't feel perfect. Allow yourself the freedom to make changes based on needs.

Too many guys make up good programs, only to drop them when things don't feel perfect. Allow evolution to perfect the routine, if that makes sense.

Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #622
T800
New Brawn
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

T800 is off to a bad start

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #623
jemag
Brawn
Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17 Points: 1,050, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
jemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good postsjemag has made some very good posts

hey Steve,

I'm 26 years old and I went to get my testosterone checked and it's currently only at 12,0 nmol/l or 345ng/dL. I looked a bit on internet and some studies seem to put me in the normal range for 85-100 years old person or just indicate it being really low... Do you think this level is concerning at my age for bodybuilding/powerlifting purposes (I'm a bit worried)?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #624
T800
New Brawn
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

T800 is off to a bad start

Do you think a pound a month is a sensible rate of gain?

Been training for about 12 years and would class myself as an intermidiate. That having said I would say I am between 6-8 % bodyfat and I'm only about 130ish lbs at the moment-should I aim for a pound a month still? More? Less?

Thanks
T800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #625
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

What are your experiences with training to failure?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #626
Berd
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start

Hey Steve,

Do you know any good ways to build a thick neck?

Thanks brother
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #627
Gorship
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23 Points: 1,682, Level: 23
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: 1-2 altogether.
Training Type: Starting Strength
Fav Exercise: DeadLift
Fav Supp: Creatine + Beta Alanine.
Gorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributorGorship is a dedicated contributor

How important is it to switch up your grip for DL? Im so used to my left over and my right under to hold the bar, but i heard somewhere through the internet or grape vine that its terrible to stick to one grip. Thoughts?
Gorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #628
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemag View Post
hey Steve,

I'm 26 years old and I went to get my testosterone checked and it's currently only at 12,0 nmol/l or 345ng/dL. I looked a bit on internet and some studies seem to put me in the normal range for 85-100 years old person or just indicate it being really low... Do you think this level is concerning at my age for bodybuilding/powerlifting purposes (I'm a bit worried)?
Mine is under 200.

You can accomplish plenty naturally with low testosterone. You might not feel the best, but it can't control your intestinal fortitude.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #629
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
Do you think a pound a month is a sensible rate of gain?

Been training for about 12 years and would class myself as an intermidiate. That having said I would say I am between 6-8 % bodyfat and I'm only about 130ish lbs at the moment-should I aim for a pound a month still? More? Less?

Thanks
Natural gains have been studied exhaustively. For a non-underweight lifter, the following gains curve can be expected. These are upper limits per year. They can sometimes be exceed by large-boned lifters, or by a small percentage. Please note they are pounds of muscle.

Year 1 - 16 pounds
Year 2 - 8 pounds
Year 3 - 4 pounds
Year 4 - 2 pounds
Year 5 - 1 pounds

The important thing to note is that each of us has a natural limit determined by our physiology. Think of it like a glass of water. The faster you drink from this glass, the less there is to drink from it in the future.

So if you started slow the first several years, quality gains could still be had for years to come.

Regarding weight and gains, if you have been training for 12 years and weigh 130, something's seriously broken. I don't mean that in a disrespectful manner, but most first novice natural bodybuilders compete around 160.

You can expect rapid gains, but first we would need to analyze if your strength training practices and eating habits are conducive for gains.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #630
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
What are your experiences with training to failure?
Waste of time. Too risky.

Some exercises can handle failure better than others. For example, I can train to failure on barbell rows and it isn't stressful at all. Squats on the other hand...

Chasing failure is focusing on the wrong thing. Chase progress. Muscle building and strength training are a long journey. Guys get bored and try to make the process more complex than it really is.

Push each set for as many reps as possible, stopping a set when you might fail on the nest rep. This is all the growth stimulus you will ever need.

Training to failure also compromises form, placing a greater degree of stress on the body when it is in a compromised position. This is a recipe for injury.

The body wants you to stop for a reason.