Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #581
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
Hi BtB, Just wondering what your view is on conditioning whilst bulking? Also just watched your video where you devour 9000 cals which made me take a jar of PB to bed to munch on. At the moment im eating 3200 cals per day, do you think this is enough? I'm 6 ft and 180lbs. Thanks in advance
I think if you have your strength gains rolling, then it's ok to add in some conditioning work. As long as your food intake is supporting it.

I used to play basketball for 5 hours a week, and ping pong for 5 hours a week. This was all post-workout. I ate very aggressively though.

Food and rest can be very magical, but if the gains aren't coming, something needs to be adjusted.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #582
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvd1215 View Post
Hey bbod...the upper/lower workout that I was going to try out was the one u had suggested in one of ur videos..the intermediate to advanced muscle building a strength program....although I have been doing bodypart splits for a year while cutting...I have not added any significant muscle mass...as I had to rehab a rotator cuff for the past 4 months so I was unable to lift heavy and hard for any pressing moves.
Back when I was in high school about 8 yrs ago I was very serious into bulking up and pushing heavy weight and I had a squat of 315, benching 250...and for whatever reason I got out of the gym for years and now I'm wanting to get those numbers once again and exceed those numbers. I haven't done squats in almost 8 yrs and I've never done deadlifts so I'd be starting from scratch on those lifts...
If you have been cutting then I am not surprised you haven't built muscle. A year is a long time to cut.

I didn't see a question. How can I help?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #583
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcvd1215 View Post
What do u think of this routine bbod to build muscle and strength trying to hit each bodypart twice a week except legs...

Can u give me an honest opinion on this routine and any advice u might have...I'm trying to gain muscle and strength
Without a defined progression scheme I can't comment. Progression is the heart of a workout.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #584
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
Not at all, I think I have a regular stance, I'm going to record myself anyway. I think a wider stance makes the pain even worse because I tryed it thinking I'll feel better that way but I ended up feeling even more pain x_x Right now I feel OK but like I said I'm afraid it'll come back and get worse over time as the weight goes up.

So yeah... I'm going to post a video tomorrow so you can check my form on squats.
I'm not a fan of wide stance until folks master the conventional. But usually when there is a pain like that it tends to be from wide stance more often than not.

Let me know when you get a video up.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #585
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehouse101 View Post
BTB,
I backed off the weights for 6 days and I hit it hard today. It did take nearly a week to feel like I was ready again. I had a great workout and did not lose any ground on any of my lifts! I have not taken that much time away from the weights in over a year. I am going to run Wendler's 531 on the 4 day set up and see what kind of gains I make. is it best to take a de load week when your body tells you its ready or on a regular schedule??? Thanks for your help Hairy Hercules!!!
Mike
I think it's fine to take a lighter week every 8-12 weeks, or when your body feels beat up.

The only time I hate to see deloads is when a lifter simply has an off workout.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #586
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berd View Post
Hey Steve,

Is there any truth to there being a difference between doing explosive reps and controlled reps? I've always heard that controlled builds size while explosive builds strength.

Can I still build the same amount of mass while doing explosive reps instead of slow and controlled reps on all lifts? With progression and eating of course. Thanks brother
Nah that's nonsense. The body responds to changes in stress. If someone wants to use slow, controlled reps - they have to get stronger. If someone wants to use explosive reps - they have to get stronger.

Ever see someone try to use controlled squat reps form the hole? Nope. They are all explosive because the lifter is trying to survive.

My advice is to focus on form and just trying to move the weight from Point A to Point B. Bar speed will take care of itself. It's something that people over-focus on instead of the important aspects of muscle building.

People can make gains using more controlled reps, but it's nothing essential.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #587
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Bearded One, can you do a video about training for the pump? I was talking to a very experienced former bodybuilder who runs the best bodybuilding gym in the UK and I asked him the question :How do you know you've had a good workout? He replied that a good workout was the one where you got a maximum pump with minimum workload. I think you need to do a video to stop this broscience spreading. I always thought that only gear users train like this.
Interesting topic.

One only needs to understand that for every lifter that chases a pump, there are many more that don't and are just as big.

It certainly can tell me when I've worked an area enough, but it's really easy for me to achieve. I get a forearm pump during my first squat warmup set.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #588
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Interesting topic.

One only needs to understand that for every lifter that chases a pump, there are many more that don't and are just as big.

It certainly can tell me when I've worked an area enough, but it's really easy for me to achieve. I get a forearm pump during my first squat warmup set.
Yes, exactly. You can get a pump by doing just about anything though. Why is it that people like Jay Cutler just go in the gym and get a pump with light weights. If you're on a lot of juice, can you avoid progressive overload?
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #589
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Thanks BtB, I've decided to bump my calories to 3500 and add a small amount of conditioning. I'll have to wait and see how it goes.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #590
juanjames
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

juanjames is off to a bad start

Been awhile since I have had a question on here! XD Anyway I have been doing a fullbody workout three times a week for awhile now. I have seen great strength gains and minor muscles gains. My goal is a mix of strength and a hypertrophy. Here is what my workout looks like:

Bench Press 5 Sets
Rows 3 Sets
Pullups 2 Sets
Shoulder Press 5 Sets
Squat 5 Sets
Deadlift 2 Sets

I rotate between moderate and lower rep ranges. The problem here is my sugar levels. When doing upper body I am okay as long as I take it easy. As soon as I hit legs on the other hand? After legs I feel like I am going to pass out, my vision wants to mess with me, I feel sick and light headed, ect ect. Now I drink a gallon and a half of water a day, I eat good healthy carbs 30-40 mins before my workout, and I drink gatorade while I workout. Only one thing seems to help the problem.....SPLIT....now based on you and other research I have done people have scared me away from splits. They say they are not optimal ect ect. I tried a 4 day split last week and felt great. Of course still on leg day I had hell BUT it was better than having to deal with the legs nearly knocking me out 3 times a week. Know what I mean? Now the split I decided to do looks like this.

Monday (Chest/Triceps)
Tuesday(Back/Biceps)
Thursday(Shoulders/Traps)
Friday(Legs/Abs)

I think what makes this so much easier on my body is the fact that you have the four MAIN muscles groups split into different days so its less taxing on my energy levels. Anyway sorry for the long post I always get overly detailed. My question to you is what do I do? I know your all for fullbody. Will a split still make me happy in the end? Will it still be worth it in the end? Or am I just going to waist a year to find out splits aren't that great? Please help your advice is always improtant to me. Thanks BBOD!
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote