Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #521
steveninthematrix
Brawn
Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13 Points: 663, Level: 13
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

steveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good postssteveninthematrix has made some good posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Hi Steve,

Great deadlift numbers. How has your progress on the deadlift been this year?
i posted but it appears to have disappeared...

from 18mths to 6 mths ago, it went from 585 to 612... just missed 620 and then decided to start cutting weight, so havent pushed for a pr in a while... was 255 and now 235, heading to 220... i deadlift every 10 days or so; the biggest benefit exercises have been glute-ham raises and zerchers onto box..

busy on a routine to try for a pr in 6-8 weeks or so, last workout of the deadlift was 520X6 (no more touch&go)..

need to start doing my mobility work so that i can get into better positions... shoulders and hips are way too tight (according to my biok)
steveninthematrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #522
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Dear BBOD, is running smolov jr for bench and smolov jr for squats suicide? My max squat is 250 lbs and my bench is also 250 lbs paused. I neglected legs for a few months and did bro routines.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #523
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Also will I lose all my strength gains if I do them at the same time? Perhaps you could do a video on peaking programs....
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #524
mikehouse101
Brawn
Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19 Points: 1,209, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 42
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Dead Lift
Fav Supp: Gaspari's Vasatropin
mikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributormikehouse101 is a consistent contributor

Great question Mike and great response Oh bearded one of infinite strength and knowledge! I too am an older beginner/intermediate lifter age 41. My long term goal(life long) remains the same as my short term goals (6 mo - 1 year) seem to be a little more fluid and ever evolving. The constant theme over the last 18 months has been dedication resulting in better health and impressive strength gains My current goal is to increase my bench, squat and deadlift and compete in powerlifting! I am learning a tremendous amount about how my body responds to training and diet. Thanks for all the help and inspiration! Im so fired up now I have to go lift!!! PEACE OUT!!! Mike
mikehouse101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #525
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Dear BBOD, is running smolov jr for bench and smolov jr for squats suicide? My max squat is 250 lbs and my bench is also 250 lbs paused. I neglected legs for a few months and did bro routines.
I only recommend one specialization approach at a time. If you do bench, have one leg day with enough that still allows for some progression, and vice versa.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #526
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
Also will I lose all my strength gains if I do them at the same time? Perhaps you could do a video on peaking programs....
You shouldn't if you go that route. My rule is when doing specialization, always out-eat your gym work. Food is magical, especially during those periods when specializing or looking for boosts.

Peaking is a good topic.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #527
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehouse101 View Post
Great question Mike and great response Oh bearded one of infinite strength and knowledge! I too am an older beginner/intermediate lifter age 41. My long term goal(life long) remains the same as my short term goals (6 mo - 1 year) seem to be a little more fluid and ever evolving. The constant theme over the last 18 months has been dedication resulting in better health and impressive strength gains My current goal is to increase my bench, squat and deadlift and compete in powerlifting! I am learning a tremendous amount about how my body responds to training and diet. Thanks for all the help and inspiration! Im so fired up now I have to go lift!!! PEACE OUT!!! Mike
Smash!

Just made a peaking video. Let me know if it helps.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #528
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveninthematrix View Post
i posted but it appears to have disappeared...

from 18mths to 6 mths ago, it went from 585 to 612... just missed 620 and then decided to start cutting weight, so havent pushed for a pr in a while... was 255 and now 235, heading to 220... i deadlift every 10 days or so; the biggest benefit exercises have been glute-ham raises and zerchers onto box..

busy on a routine to try for a pr in 6-8 weeks or so, last workout of the deadlift was 520X6 (no more touch&go)..

need to start doing my mobility work so that i can get into better positions... shoulders and hips are way too tight (according to my biok)
The 27 pound gain in a year isn't bad at all, especially with where you are at. Nothing wrong with wanting more though.

Have you tried any height rotation, like one deadlift from the floor, one from 3" blocks?

I want to encourage you to get your quads and upper back as strong as humanly possible. 365 barbell rows for reps, 200 pound one arm rows for reps.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #529
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Could you explain using chains, the why, the how to use, and what equipment you need to use them. Like what to buy/ look for?
Good question.

Chains are used to overload the top or a lift. They are a good way to lift more than your max. This helps to not only build muscular strength, but also tendons, and to improve your CNS. They also help you work on your mental strength.

Like all things, they are a tool that can be of benefit. I say "tool" because I do not believe they should be used as a replacement for intermediate lifters who are currently making consistent progress.

At some point when strength progress slows, they are worth trying.

My chains come in 30 pound increments, like these:

Lifting Chains 60 lbs. pair | Power Systems

While these are good, it also helps to have extenders, like this:

Extenders allow you to play with the heights, loading and unloading differences, etc.

Chains are not cheap. I recommend getting a good squat and deadlift bar first, if someone has a home gym.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3687427_f260.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	9314  

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #530
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefarley View Post
hi bbod

what would be a good rep goal for weighted sit-ups and side bends and how many sets would you recommend for both exercises.

thanks in a advance.
I personally like to work situps up to 20-25 reps per set, and then add weight very slowly. I have worked up to 80 pound dumbbells, but quite frankly, found little reward above 50-60 pounds for 3 sets of 25 reps.

On side bends I like 3 sets with a goal around 40. You don't want to be too near failure on this exercise, as there is potential to tweak the knee and lower back, but rather focus on sensible progression.