Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #491
Ghost86
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ghost86 is off to a bad start

Hi BendtheBar

I have a question about mixing creatine mono with BCAA and Gatorade or flavor enhancer.
Can I mix them with any flavor of Gatorade?
Or can I just use MIO (flavor enhancer) which I m using right now
P.S I just started this mixture thing. I used to use Celltech but it is to expensive and retain too much water in my body during the cycle
Ghost86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #492
Teufelhund_OR
New Brawn
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts

Here is a followup question,

I am now 43 started back training in Oct 2012 after a bit of a lay off (few years)

I notice that in the mornings I am still sore and stiff after months of training, is this just age related?

I seem to feel pretty well ragged out most of the time when not training...

just age?

thank you for your time!
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #493
CADETGUSV
Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2

CADETGUSV is off to a bad start

Hey bbod couple DL questions for you

I am working for strength 5x5. is this too much dead lifting for strength if so what set/rep scheme would u use?

how often?

2. When working with heavy weights should I do doubles or triples or just 1rp and go up in weight ?

Finally the reason for my post. Yesterday I was attempting a double at 455lbs (1rm is 475) I got the first rep locked out no problem came down reset and went for the second. a little more then 1/4 the way up I felt a strong tightening in my lower abs. It didn't hurt but I felt a serious tightening it frightend me enough to give up on the pull even though I felt like I had enough strength to lock out .

Is this normal or was I on my way to a injury?

I am thinking my back rounded I could see the strain coming from that stance

I want to post form videos and pics but I have to get the posts required first so they are coming when I can

thanks for your help
CADETGUSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #494
CADETGUSV
Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2 Points: 120, Level: 2

CADETGUSV is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post

I am now 43 started back training in Oct 2012 after a bit of a lay off (few years)

I notice that in the mornings I am still sore and stiff after months of training, is this just age related?

just age?

thank you for your time!
My 2 get a foam roller bud, I roll in the morning when I am stiff it helps a lot. I also roll at night b4 bed if I am feeling stiff
CADETGUSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #495
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost86 View Post
Hi BendtheBar

I have a question about mixing creatine mono with BCAA and Gatorade or flavor enhancer.
Can I mix them with any flavor of Gatorade?
Or can I just use MIO (flavor enhancer) which I m using right now
P.S I just started this mixture thing. I used to use Celltech but it is to expensive and retain too much water in my body during the cycle
Absolutely. I would go with convenience and flavor.

I use a BCAA drink and use to just combine creatine with it and grape drink.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #496
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post

just age?

thank you for your time!
I am still sore days after certain workouts. If you do any form of multiple set training you will find that some muscle groups rarely improve with age. For example, my chest almost always gets sore, but my shoulders never get sore.

On the other hand, my triceps and hamstrings used to always get sore, but now rarely do.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #497
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADETGUSV View Post
Hey bbod couple DL questions for you

I am working for strength 5x5. is this too much dead lifting for strength if so what set/rep scheme would u use?

how often?

I personally think a 5x5 is not needed for deadlifting. If you do use a 5x5, make the first 2 sets lighter warmup sets. Something like:

--Set 1 - 60% x 5
--Set 2 - 80% x 5
--Sets 3 to 5 - Working weight x 5 reps.

Quote:
2. When working with heavy weights should I do doubles or triples or just 1rp and go up in weight ?
Depends on the lift and the experience of the lifter. I generally recommend working up in singles by 10% jumps to a max (not NEW top end max, but rather a daily max based on how you feel) single, double or triple for the day, then dropping down in weight for more singles, doubles and triples.

Quote:
Finally the reason for my post. Yesterday I was attempting a double at 455lbs (1rm is 475) I got the first rep locked out no problem came down reset and went for the second. a little more then 1/4 the way up I felt a strong tightening in my lower abs. It didn't hurt but I felt a serious tightening it frightend me enough to give up on the pull even though I felt like I had enough strength to lock out .

Is this normal or was I on my way to a injury?
Normal no. Occasionally things like this happen though. Part of lifting heavy. When they do it's best to shut down and wait until you are fully healed before pushing.

I would recommend having someone look at your form. Injuries are often the result of technique issues. Not always, but often.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #498
Noite
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Noite is off to a bad start

Hey BBOD!

First of all thank you for taking the time to help us newbies. It really does mean a lot and I'm sure I would've made countless (more) mistakes had I not started watching your videos (which I marathoned in like 4-5 days haha.)

So I recently got a new job and had to move to a new city. There's only one gym even remotely close so I had to go with that. Problem is: there's no squat rack (only smith) and they don't allow deadlifting. Yeah, terrible excuse for a gym :/ Unfortunately I'll have to make do with it for the time being.

What exercises could I use to try and substitute squats and deads as best as possible? I'm aware I probably won't be able to progress as fast as I would with squats and deads, but I suppose I'll have to live with that :/

Thanks in advance for your time!
Noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #499
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noite View Post
Hey BBOD!

First of all thank you for taking the time to help us newbies. It really does mean a lot and I'm sure I would've made countless (more) mistakes had I not started watching your videos (which I marathoned in like 4-5 days haha.)

So I recently got a new job and had to move to a new city. There's only one gym even remotely close so I had to go with that. Problem is: there's no squat rack (only smith) and they don't allow deadlifting. Yeah, terrible excuse for a gym :/ Unfortunately I'll have to make do with it for the time being.

What exercises could I use to try and substitute squats and deads as best as possible? I'm aware I probably won't be able to progress as fast as I would with squats and deads, but I suppose I'll have to live with that :/

Thanks in advance for your time!
Glad to help.

First off let me start by saying that even though I love to deadlift, I didn't use the movement until 2007. You can still manage to build a decent amount of back muscle and strength without it.

If I couldn't squat I would do high rep leg presses (10 to 40 per set), or even lunges and hack squats. For back, you can't beat 20 rep sets of dumbbell rows followed by barbell or seated cable rows.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #500
Noite
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Noite is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Glad to help.

First off let me start by saying that even though I love to deadlift, I didn't use the movement until 2007. You can still manage to build a decent amount of back muscle and strength without it.

If I couldn't squat I would do high rep leg presses (10 to 40 per set), or even lunges and hack squats. For back, you can't beat 20 rep sets of dumbbell rows followed by barbell or seated cable rows.
Thanks! I'll probably be replacing squats with leg presses and see how that works. I was thinking about it and I might actually be able to get away with RDLs since their issue is with the bar hitting the floor, would this be a suitable replacement for regular deadlifts or would I be better off with cable/dumbbell rows? (I'm already doing BB rows in my routine)
Noite is offline   Reply With Quote