Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #421
112rag
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

112rag is off to a bad start

Should one use momentum on dumbell rows
112rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #422
Jakefd
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Jakefd is off to a bad start

Hello BBOD, while during a cut i'm weighing my self every morning, to ensure there is progress. How are meant to deal with fluctuations in weight so i can ensure that i continue to lose weight. For example if eat the majority of my carbs at night i weigh more the next morning.
thanks
Jakefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #423
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-h View Post
How would you go about peaking for a meet? Leading up to the meet how would your training be adapted? Would you recommend running sheiko's competition prep cycle?
More and more I am becoming a big fan of increasing weight until about 4 weeks out, and then dialing things down just a tiny hair so that your fatigue can rescind.

For most lifters this would involve peaking towards heavier weights while pulling back on assistance work. At about 4 weeks out you back off just a tiny amount from your peak weights and keep the assistance work to a minimum.

Using what I am doing right now...

I am working bench press every 4 days. I am trying to peak, pushing my max paused single up when I can, based on how I feel that day. Right now I am at 415 paused and using bicep and tricep work as assistance exercises.

4 weeks out will be my last maximal attempt. If I hit 440 or 450 or 460, so be it. I am done training for maxes. At this point I will drop my assistance work, and probably drop my working sets slowly.

Bench press example:

4 weeks out - Max single that I know I can hit
3 weeks out - 425 for a single or two
2 weeks out - 405 for a single or two
1 week out - Complete rest

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #424
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Hey BBOD,

Do you personally have any uses for the Smith machine?
I think it's a lovely coat rack.

No, I have no use for it. There are far too many better exercise choices.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #425
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112rag View Post
Should one use momentum on dumbell rows
Yes.

One should use a reasonable amount of momentum on all lifts.

We don't baby the bar off our chest during the bench press. Nor do we ease the bar up during squats.

There is a difference between smart momentum and sloppy form.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #426
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakefd View Post
Hello BBOD, while during a cut i'm weighing my self every morning, to ensure there is progress. How are meant to deal with fluctuations in weight so i can ensure that i continue to lose weight. For example if eat the majority of my carbs at night i weigh more the next morning.
thanks
Fluctuations are normal. Unless you eat the exact same amount of carbohydrates, sodium and minerals per day, and can control your waste removal and sweating, fluctuations will happen.

I don't recommend daily weigh-ins. They can be maddening.

A gallon of water weighs over 8 pounds. An unusually hot day could lead to extra sweating and weight loss. Add in a low carb day and you have a low daily weigh in.

The next day you keep the calories the same, but might have a higher carb and sodium day. This might lead to minor constipation, perhaps in concert with yesterday's minor dehydration, and then some over-compensation with water intake and suddenly you've gained 4 to 5 pounds over yesterday's weight.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #427
JustinWorkouts
Brawn
Points: 1,518, Level: 22 Points: 1,518, Level: 22 Points: 1,518, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Protein O.N
JustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality posts
Question

I'm tying to get to a 500lb deadlift using the program Madcow 5x5. I'm on week 5. I only did the last set of the deadlift part of week 5 which was 405lbs for 5 reps. Then I used (405x1.2=486) to calculate my 1 rep max. Is 486lb my new max or do I have to do the other 3 working set also?

The sets were:
255x5
305x5
355x5
405x5 - Only the 1 I did.
JustinWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #428
Tomsen
New Brawn
Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12 Points: 617, Level: 12

Training Exp: 1/2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: cheeeeese!
Tomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good postsTomsen has made some good posts
Default PreWorkouts

I have never used any pre workout supplements. So it would be nice to hear your experience.

Does using pre workout supplements allow you to increase your workload compared to intense training without it?
Tomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #429
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post
I'm tying to get to a 500lb deadlift using the program Madcow 5x5. I'm on week 5. I only did the last set of the deadlift part of week 5 which was 405lbs for 5 reps. Then I used (405x1.2=486) to calculate my 1 rep max. Is 486lb my new max or do I have to do the other 3 working set also?

The sets were:
255x5
305x5
355x5
405x5 - Only the 1 I did.
Calculators won't help much. I can only do 405x5 on squats yet I squat over 600.

I wish I could say for certain. My only advice is to get that 405x5 up to 505x5.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #430
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsen View Post
I have never used any pre workout supplements. So it would be nice to hear your experience.

Does using pre workout supplements allow you to increase your workload compared to intense training without it?

Some are bad, some are good. I have used come pre-workouts that made me so sick I couldn't lift. I have also used several pre-workouts that didn't do a darn thing.

I have also used some pre-workouts that were amazing. Muscle Marinade, for example, increases my focus for hours and hours. It definitely helps, especially on those days when you have no motivation.

My best advice is to try samples before you buy a product. I would also say if you are never fatigued then you might not benefit.