Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #401
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Hi BtB,

Quick question, I've been working with a 15 rep goal over 3 sets for awhile and this has been great for strength gains but i haven't seen alot of muscle growth. Do you think it would be better to have a 20 rep goal or should i remain with 15 reps? Thanks Beast!

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #402
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klz View Post
Ok I'm gonna think about if I wanna cut first or just clean up my diet and do the 2 year bulk straight off. Btw is it ok to just eat clean and keep watch on weight lets say weekly and adjust eating based on that? Or is counting calories and macros actually required? I personally have nothing against counting them but I was just wondering if it works just as fine eating clean and plenty and check weight weekly if it's going up as intended?
The more precise the results you want, the more precise your diet should be.

I don't count calories and macros, but I do know about where I am at. I kind of set minimums when not cutting and maximums when cutting, and ballpark things. If that makes sense.

If you're eating mostly clean foods t will be hard to gain fat unless you're doing some crazy binge eating.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #403
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
Hi BtB,

Quick question, I've been working with a 15 rep goal over 3 sets for awhile and this has been great for strength gains but i haven't seen alot of muscle growth. Do you think it would be better to have a 20 rep goal or should i remain with 15 reps? Thanks Beast!
What period of time has this been, and what are your starting and ending measurements, and height and weight?

Also, what doers an average day of your meal plan look like?

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-12-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #404
Klz
New Brawn
Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8 Points: 441, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Klz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good startKlz is off to a good start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The more precise the results you want, the more precise your diet should be.

I don't count calories and macros, but I do know about where I am at. I kind of set minimums when not cutting and maximums when cutting, and ballpark things. If that makes sense.

If you're eating mostly clean foods t will be hard to gain fat unless you're doing some crazy binge eating.
That sounds pretty much the same what I was thinking about. Well thank you for taking time to answer my questions and helping. I really appreciate what you're doing here and on your youtube channel.
Klz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #405
OHDL
Max Brawn

OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Quote:
What period of time has this been, and what are your starting and ending measurements, and height and weight?

Also, what doers an average day of your meal plan look like?

It has been 6 weeks, I have seen growth in my legs but I have added 40 lbs to my squat.I don't have measurements. Ill start measuring myself as soon as possible. Are there specific place on each muscle? Im 6 ft 178 lbs.

Typical day:

2 litres of full fat milk

400 gs of ground beef.

4-5 eggs fried in olive oil

2 Hand fulls of Cheese usually with eggs and beef.

3-4 strips of bacon.

I have only started to eat like this consistently 2 weeks ago, well ive been eating well just upped my calories 2-3 weeks ago.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 05-12-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #406
Weaponx25
THE HEART IS THERE
Brawn
Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18 Points: 1,129, Level: 18
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%

Training Exp: 0 years 2 months
Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Food
Weaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good postsWeaponx25 has made some very good posts
Default 5X5

BBOD

I saw your video on Rippetoe skidoo and wondered if you are a fan of starting strength and what do you think of the 5X5 method. Ultimately I just want one more rep each time I do this
Weaponx25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #407
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponx25 View Post
BBOD

I saw your video on Rippetoe and wondered if you are a fan of starting strength and what do you think of the 5X5 method. Ultimately I just want one more rep each time I do this
Yes, it's a good method for strength. I have a lot of respect for Mark.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #408
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
It has been 6 weeks, I have seen growth in my legs but I have added 40 lbs to my squat.I don't have measurements.
Regarding rep ranges, you can make adjustments if you want but...without any measurements, right now you are merely guessing that you haven't added size.

A 1/4 inch on your quads every 9 weeks adds up over 3 years. That's a good gain. 6 weeks doesn't really tell you much.

I would start taking measurements and look at 4 month comparisons.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #409
OHDL
Max Brawn

Quote:
Regarding rep ranges, you can make adjustments if you want but...without any measurements, right now you are merely guessing that you haven't added size.

A 1/4 inch on your quads every 9 weeks adds up over 3 years. That's a good gain. 6 weeks doesn't really tell you much.

I would start taking measurements and look at 4 month comparisons.
Thanks beast, I'll take measurements and make note of them every few months.

- Christopher Hitchens
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #410
Berd
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 1 year and 6 months
Fav Exercise: Anything back related
Fav Supp: RED MEAT
Berd is off to a bad start
Default Arm day

Hey Steve, in your workouts you put chest with triceps and back with biceps. Is it better to have a separate arm day or overload the muscle in the same day? Thanks brother
Berd is offline   Reply With Quote