Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #381
MaxZavtur
Points: 390, Level: 7 Points: 390, Level: 7 Points: 390, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MaxZavtur is new to the forumMaxZavtur is new to the forum

I'm doing upper/lower routine by Lyle Mcdonald. And I train as hard as I can every workout, but a guy in my gym says that I need some light weeks. And in internet many people says that periodization is a key to maximum results, that is why I'm asking
MaxZavtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #382
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Hey Beast or anyone here.

Do you have any recommendations for dip/pull up belts?
What should I be looking for? Is the "Polypro Dip Belt" by harbinger decent?

Also for straps. I know Versa grips are battle=tested and industry approved. Do you think its worth it cause the cost is pretty high (Yes I know, quality and cost go hand in hand).

Im planning on ordering from Amazon, we don't have anything like that where I come from. Or atleast, within reasonable prices.

Thanks!
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #383
chippy7
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What is a reverse diet?

You probably experienced bounce back weight gain. That is not fat gain. No one you age gets fat quickly on 2500 calories. When you increase calories you will see additional water retention due to carb and sodium intake.

You have to also understand that you were starving yourself. Your body might rebel by adding more weight.

Right now we can't control that. You have to focus on the things you can control:

1) Eating properly
2) Getting strong

What does your workout plan look like right now?

Once we get you rolling on a solid workout, I want to give you the goal of adding 2 pounds a month for the first year. Maybe a hair more if your strength increases are rolling along well.

You're going to add a few pounds of fat. It won't be noticeable if you train right because you'll be muscular.
BIG BIG thank you for your input BBOD and sorry for the late response sir. Right now I do a full body M/W/F. Workout Routine

Bench 5x5 132lbs
Lunges 5x3 46lbs DB (5reps 3sets)
DB shoulder press 5x5 38lb DB
1 Arm DB bend over row 5x5 66lbs DB
Dips on a bench corner (i train at home) 5x3 57lbs DB between legs (5reps 3sets)
Pull ups 5x5 22lbs

I used to do squats before lunges 5x5 but it was difficult with no squat rack. I did them with DBs each arm also wearing a back pack with weights lol. I really like to train.

Also were you asking what a reverse diet was? I was thinking about adding calories weekly about 150cals a week until I reach my previous maintenance calories.

Again BIG thank you BBOD.

Last edited by chippy7; 05-08-2013 at 02:05 AM.
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #384
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

If this has already been asked/posted, my apologies - I do try not to post 100% unnecessary crap.

I'm at the stage, again, where deadlifts will have to - for the time being *at least* - be either over/under (aka mixed grip) or "strapped".

Which do you recommend of those two, and is there any advantage to alternating mixed grip (LURO/LORU), if that is the best way to go for now?

I have not got around to using straps so far, or a belt for that matter. But I'm not at all opposed to the idea (even though awesome grip strength does appeal...) I actually own both, so yeah.

Thanks again for helping so many people (I am of course one of them). Hope this is *not* an unnecessary question or whatever.

Last edited by Dray; 05-08-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Dray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #385
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscularJon25 View Post
I am 16 years old, 5 ft. 8 in., I am about 135lb. and my current bulking calories are 2330-2430
You're not skinny fat, and you should not be cutting in any way right now. What your body lacks is muscle. The mi nor amount of fat you have is natural. when you add 30 pounds of muscle to your frame you won't notice it.

Keep lifting, keep building. No cutting. You are borderline underweight right now. In addition, it's simply not healthy at your age to deprive yourself of food.

Learn to listen to your body and keep eating when you are hungry.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #386
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxZavtur View Post
I'm doing upper/lower routine by Lyle Mcdonald. And I train as hard as I can every workout, but a guy in my gym says that I need some light weeks.
Your body will tell you when you need a break. Listen to it and you'll do fine.

I didn't take a light week for over 20 years, but I did occasionally add in an extra rest day or two, or a rest week. Not saying you have to go to this extreme, but rather that listening to your body is more important than anything else.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #387
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Do you have any recommendations for dip/pull up belts?

What should I be looking for? Is the "Polypro Dip Belt" by harbinger decent?

Also for straps. I know Versa grips are battle=tested and industry approved. Do you think its worth it cause the cost is pretty high (Yes I know, quality and cost go hand in hand).

Im planning on ordering from Amazon, we don't have anything like that where I come from. Or atleast, within reasonable prices.

Thanks
Harbinger's dip belt gets very high ratings on Amazon, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

Amazon.com: Harbinger 28900 Polypropylene Weight Dip Belt: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Harbinger 28900 Polypropylene Weight Dip Belt: Sports & Outdoors

Versa Gripps are probably the single best piece of equipment I have purchased. I beat the snot out of them and after 4 years they still look great.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #388
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy7 View Post
BIG BIG thank you for your input BBOD and sorry for the late response sir. Right now I do a full body M/W/F. Workout Routine

Bench 5x5 132lbs
Lunges 5x3 46lbs DB (5reps 3sets)
DB shoulder press 5x5 38lb DB
1 Arm DB bend over row 5x5 66lbs DB
Dips on a bench corner (i train at home) 5x3 57lbs DB between legs (5reps 3sets)
Pull ups 5x5 22lbs

I used to do squats before lunges 5x5 but it was difficult with no squat rack. I did them with DBs each arm also wearing a back pack with weights lol. I really like to train.

Also were you asking what a reverse diet was? I was thinking about adding calories weekly about 150cals a week until I reach my previous maintenance calories.

Again BIG thank you BBOD.
Right now you need to stop thinking about maintenance levels, and focus on eating properly, eating when hungry and listening to your body. Everything else is a distraction. If the scale isn't moving then you need to focus on monitoring it a little more closely and adding calories.

It will be extremely difficult for you to get fat eating all the clean, whole, nutritious food you want.

You have some good exercises in your routine. Keep working them for progression, adding reps and weight when you can - safely, using good form.

You are on a very good path. Keep getting stronger.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #389
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
If this has already been asked/posted, my apologies - I do try not to post 100% unnecessary crap.

I'm at the stage, again, where deadlifts will have to - for the time being *at least* - be either over/under (aka mixed grip) or "strapped".

Which do you recommend of those two, and is there any advantage to alternating mixed grip (LURO/LORU), if that is the best way to go for now?

I have not got around to using straps so far, or a belt for that matter. But I'm not at all opposed to the idea (even though awesome grip strength does appeal...) I actually own both, so yeah.

Thanks again for helping so many people (I am of course one of them). Hope this is *not* an unnecessary question or whatever.
Never unnecessary.

I recommend double overhand with Versa Gripps or straps for most people. I find it's simply the safest and most efficient method of deadlifting.

Regarding grip strength... grip strength is largely impacted by back strength. When your back is weak your body will be signaled to drop the weight.

You can't let a weak grip hinder deadlifts, or rows for that matter. They are a much bigger priority. I use straps on every deadlift and row set, and I have amazing grip strength. A huge reason for this is due to my strong back.

It's ok to want to improve your grip, but it shouldn't be done on back or deadlift training, if that makes sense.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #390
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Brilliant. Cheers. And yeah, perfect sense: save grip training (if or when I ever get to that, at some later stage) for other days.

Time to dig out those straps (next week) and see how it goes.