Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #331
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
Hm. Fair enough. I've never subscribed to doing lifts, or variations on lifts, to appear "cool", in case it came across that way. Just did them "ATG" without knowing there was any other way, until I learned about low bar squats, and promptly stopped doing very far below parallel (with those).

It feels natural enough, but I'm not sure which is better - an inch or two below parallel, or quite a few inches below that...

Guess it doesn't matter, as you say, if it's not getting in the way.

edit: I'll try both, and if "ATG" reduces the weight or reps I can do (relative to just below parallel), or makes me more sore/tired/whatever, then I'll start deliberately stopping short of that.
Take a video. Many times going deeper you will experience some lower back rounding. This might result in strains and pains.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #332
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost86 View Post
Thank you so much BendtheBar....
Right now I'm at 240-245, 6'1 and 27 years old
You are a beast. You need to compete.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #333
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post
Why not use Whole Milk instead of Water in your Chocolate Milk?

Chocolate Milk tastes so silky and rich...

I've often wondered how much richer it would taste if they used Whole Milk instead of Low Fat.

Saxon Violence
Referencing my video?

If you want to drink regular milk, just add protein powder. My recipe is a healthier substitute for someone who likes chocolate milk but doesn't want the added sugar. And it tastes better than chocolate milk. And it has no lactose. And heavy cream is rich in nutrition.

You can really do whatever you want. This is simply an option. Plus it's better for kids.

My wife: "This is 10x better than milk and protein powder."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-27-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #334
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfadog View Post
hi steve,

I started to use your program Ultimate Arm Blaster: Add An Inch In 90 Daysr, you wrote for the site and muscle strength in 2010. mate, my body chage in 9 weeks and I will use for 6 weeks. i put more 10 kilos and i have a nice improve in all my execises: deadlift , bench press and squats. thanks for you share your knowledge with us.

sorry about my english
i am brazilian and i dont speak and write english very well
Glad it helped!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #335
Ghost86
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ghost86 is off to a bad start

Thanks. Some of your advise on youtube helped me !!
Yeah I'm more leading toward for lifting since I'm not playing football any more but I feel like I need to improve so I can feel more confident. Like my goal before the end of the year is to Sq at least 600lbs, bench close to 500 and deadlift close to 700lbs. Right I'm at sq 545,435 and 615.
Ghost86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #336
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost86 View Post
Thanks. Some of your advise on youtube helped me !!
Yeah I'm more leading toward for lifting since I'm not playing football any more but I feel like I need to improve so I can feel more confident. Like my goal before the end of the year is to Sq at least 600lbs, bench close to 500 and deadlift close to 700lbs. Right I'm at sq 545,435 and 615.
Good luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #337
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

I've heard fiber helps you lose weight by absorbing fat, however it also absorbs other nutrients, wich includes protein. Is this true? or bs?
davez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #338
juanjames
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

juanjames is off to a bad start

I just want to say I love your videos and I hope you keep at it! They have helped me a lot in the learning process. Anyway my question: I saw your video on fullbody vs splits the other day. Everywhere I look fullbody is three times a week. If its good to keep up protein syntheses why not cycle with 4 times a week to get that extra boost? For example:

WEEK#1 (4 workouts)
Monday = fullbody
Tuesday = off
Wednesday = fullbody
Thursday = off
Friday = fullbody
Saturday = off
Sunday = fullbody

WEEK#2 (3 workouts)
Monday = off
Tuesday = fullbody
Wednesday = off
Thursday = fullbody
Friday = off
Saturday = fullbody
Sunday = off

I know you would have to split up the sets and all to keep the volume around the same. So basically my question is simple, fullbody workouts, why three times a week and not a four/three cycle?

Thanks for the advice

Last edited by juanjames; 04-30-2013 at 07:20 AM.
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #339
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
I've heard fiber helps you lose weight by absorbing fat, however it also absorbs other nutrients, wich includes protein. Is this true? or bs?
From my understanding in high doses it can block some cholesterol absorption (you don't want this) and absorbs some fat. There are no existing studies to show that this trace amount of fat absorption when consuming large amounts of fiber had any impact on weight loss.

Absorbing trace fatty acids is not the same as melting body fat. Fatty acids are a fuel source and used to make ATP.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #340
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
I just want to say I love your videos and I hope you keep at it! e
Thanks Juan.

Quote:
They have helped me a lot in the learning process. Anyway my question: I saw your video on fullbody vs splits the other day. Everywhere I look fullbody is three times a week. If its good to keep up protein syntheses why not cycle with 4 times a week to get that extra boost?
Because it provides no additional benefit. Most of the studies and research indicates that protein synthesis returns to baseline after 48 hours. Some research shows it is as high as 72 hours. Obviously there are variables here at play that we do not fully understand yet, but with the existing research it would indicate that training fullbody every other day is about the max you want to train with regards to muscle building.

Beyond that you receive no real benefit, but might add additional risks because you are not allow the system to recover. The body is more than just muscle. You also have tendons, CNS, joints, etc. Giving them a day to recover in between fullbody workouts is a wise thing to do, especially if you are in this for the long haul.