Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #321
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post
I lol'd watching the video you posted yesterday xD robot squats lol.

Last words were very motivating

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Thanks hombre.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #322
Ghost86
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ghost86 is off to a bad start

Thanks for responding Benthebar. some ppl are telling that I m doing to many reps like after warm up, every set will be to failler but increasing the weight until I can only get 2 reps. So pretty much burning my energy before getting to the heavy part. I wanna try to sets like the 5*5 routine but I feel like it's not enough.

Any subjection?

I will try to get a video

Thanks
Ghost86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #323
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost86 View Post
Thanks for responding Benthebar. some ppl are telling that I m doing to many reps like after warm up, every set will be to failler but increasing the weight until I can only get 2 reps. So pretty much burning my energy before getting to the heavy part. I wanna try to sets like the 5*5 routine but I feel like it's not enough.

Any subjection?

I will try to get a video

Thanks
If you are benching 435 I wouldn't listen to anyone. Whatever you're doing is working. That's stronger than 99% of powerlifters.

I really can't give you much advice. At this point it's all trial and error. You won't be making huge strength gains each year as is. You will be squeezing out 5-10 pounds max.

You need to take care of your body, listen to your body, and evolve your training as needed.

What is your height, weight and age?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #324
Dray
Max Brawn
Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67 Points: 10,100, Level: 67
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: bench press
Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

What are your thoughts on "ATG" squats (for, say, high bar back squats)?

It's the way I've been doing them since I started (well, hamstrings to calves, to be exact) but again, it's something I've heard all kinds of opinions about...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #325
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray View Post
What are your thoughts on "ATG" squats (for, say, high bar back squats)?

It's the way I've been doing them since I started (well, hamstrings to calves, to be exact) but again, it's something I've heard all kinds of opinions about...
Good question.

The point of hitting parallel is to make sure the posterior chain is properly engaged, this making the squat safe for the knee. This also helps to make the squat more of a well-rounded lower body movement, involving hamstrings, glutes, hips, etc.

How low beyond that a lifter should go really depends on the lifter. With that said, I personally see no reason to go ATG. We are lifting for gains and strength, not for how low below parallel we can get.

First and foremost a squat should feel natural. If ATG feels natural, then I have no issue with it. But forcing lower when it doesn't feel natural involves too much risk.

I personally think the focus on ATG is a bunch of nonsense. It's good to get 1-2 inches below parallel on most squats, but below that serves little purpose other than to make for cool forum and Facebook posts.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #326
Dray
Max Brawn

Dray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master memberDray is a master member

Hm. Fair enough. I've never subscribed to doing lifts, or variations on lifts, to appear "cool", in case it came across that way. Just did them "ATG" without knowing there was any other way, until I learned about low bar squats, and promptly stopped doing very far below parallel (with those).

It feels natural enough, but I'm not sure which is better - an inch or two below parallel, or quite a few inches below that...

Guess it doesn't matter, as you say, if it's not getting in the way.

edit: I'll try both, and if "ATG" reduces the weight or reps I can do (relative to just below parallel), or makes me more sore/tired/whatever, then I'll start deliberately stopping short of that.

Last edited by Dray; 04-27-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #327
Ghost86
Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1 Points: 93, Level: 1

Ghost86 is off to a bad start

Thank you so much BendtheBar....
Right now I'm at 240-245, 6'1 and 27 years old
Ghost86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #328
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Why not use Whole Milk instead of Water in your Chocolate Milk?

Chocolate Milk tastes so silky and rich...

I've often wondered how much richer it would taste if they used Whole Milk instead of Low Fat.

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #329
Dray
Max Brawn

Low carb diet would be my guess.

But whole milk gone chocolate style is nice, yeah.

Plus, with dat dere cream, I imagine it'd be pretty rich and stuff...
Old 04-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #330
alfadog
Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1 Points: 48, Level: 1

alfadog is off to a bad start

hi steve,

I started to use your program Ultimate Arm Blaster: Add An Inch In 90 Daysr, you wrote for the site and muscle strength in 2010. mate, my body chage in 9 weeks and I will use for 6 weeks. i put more 10 kilos and i have a nice improve in all my execises: deadlift , bench press and squats. thanks for you share your knowledge with us.

sorry about my english
i am brazilian and i dont speak and write english very well
alfadog is offline   Reply With Quote