Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #291
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

awesome, that's great - thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
If I wanted to keep conditioning I would do some sprints, followed by a 20 minute run.

For bodyweight, I would use rest pause. Limit rest between sets to 15-20 seconds. I would do this 3x a week.

--Push Ups - 5 sets AMAP
--Pull Ups - 5 sets AMAP
--Chair Dips - 5 sets AMAP
--Lunges or Jump Squats - 5 sets x 20

You could also find a heavierish object to do one arm overhead presses with, or even curls and/or extensions. To maximize these object moves if the weight isn't challenging enough, simply slow the cadence down.

I would limit workouts to 45 minutes a day and enjoy vacation.
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #292
tankdogg7233
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Type: Lose Weight
Fav Exercise: I hate lunges
Fav Supp: Chocolate
tankdogg7233 is off to a good starttankdogg7233 is off to a good starttankdogg7233 is off to a good start

Hey BBOD! First I want to thank you for the all the great info you give on your YouTube channel. I found you through icecreamfitness channel, and your channel is now one of my favorites.

I plan to join the Navy within the next year. My main obstacle is my weight. Is there a program that you can recommend that would help me to build strength and lose fat. Maybe something that includes bodyweight exercises as well as weights. I'm 30 years old , 5'11" and 247 lbs. I'm looking to lose at least 20 more pounds to bring my bodyfat below the max,which is 20%(calculated by tape measure). Thanks in advance for your help!
tankdogg7233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #293
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankdogg7233 View Post
Hey BBOD! First I want to thank you for the all the great info you give on your YouTube channel. I found you through icecreamfitness channel, and your channel is now one of my favorites.

I plan to join the Navy within the next year. My main obstacle is my weight. Is there a program that you can recommend that would help me to build strength and lose fat. Maybe something that includes bodyweight exercises as well as weights. I'm 30 years old , 5'11" and 247 lbs. I'm looking to lose at least 20 more pounds to bring my bodyfat below the max,which is 20%(calculated by tape measure). Thanks in advance for your help!
Thanks Tank.

I am ex-Army. Been through the fun of basic training. My best advice is to do the following:

1) Start running 3-4x a week. Start slow, maybe 2-3 minutes, and try to improve a little bit each week. By next year you will be a running maniac.

2) Start doing push ups and sit ups 4-5 days a week. You don't have to do a lot, but you need to get used to the demands of frequency. I would do 5 sets a day, with the last one for each exercise being an all-out set.

3) Food...don't crash diet. Start your calories around 2400 a day. Watch this for 2 weeks. If you are not losing weight after 2 weeks then let me know.

^ This sounds hard, and you will feel tired, but at the end of the tunnel you will not only feel better, but be more than ready for the military.

One final point about strength...bench press never really helped my push ups. You can do strength training if you'd like, but the best way to improve on push ups is to do push ups.

Hope that helps.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #294
juanjames
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2

juanjames is off to a bad start

Can you build a lot of good muscle with dumbbells only? I have limited space and no local gym. I was thinking about getting a adjustable 200lb dumbell set (100x100). Do you think that will be enough to last awhile? I am a complete noob so I think 200 would last awhile. Please reply thanks bro!
juanjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #295
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanjames View Post
Can you build a lot of good muscle with dumbbells only? I have limited space and no local gym. I was thinking about getting a adjustable 200lb dumbell set (100x100). Do you think that will be enough to last awhile? I am a complete noob so I think 200 would last awhile. Please reply thanks bro!
You can build a good amount of much with nearly anything that provides progressive resistance. 200 pounds of dumbbells can serve you for a very long time if you use the right exercises.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #296
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Since no ones asking any questions and BBOD's mood is lurking... haha,

BBOD, by how much do you think Freak McBeef will beat CT Fletcher? What lifts will be tested? And, Freak McBeef, do you even curl?
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #297
NTF
New Brawn
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: CGBP
Fav Supp: Coffee
NTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forum

Is there an ideal BF% for optimal muscle gains?
NTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #298
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF View Post
Is there an ideal BF% for optimal muscle gains?
No.

With that said, trying to remain uber lean (12% or under) while building doesn't work well for 99%.

It's mostly a case of eating properly, regardless of body fat.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #299
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Since no ones asking any questions and BBOD's mood is lurking... haha,

BBOD, by how much do you think Freak McBeef will beat CT Fletcher? What lifts will be tested? And, Freak McBeef, do you even curl?
Freak doesn't curl much. CT would have him there.

I think Freak would crush him at every other lift, sans the bench press though. It's what he trains for.

Freak doesn't think CT deadlifts 700, etc. He has different goals.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #300
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Dear big hairy ugly dude

What should be my numbers on Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlift and Squat to be considered out of the novice phase? I'm 170cm tall and my weight is 64kg.

Also, what program do you recommend after not being novice anymore?
davez is offline   Reply With Quote