Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #281
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
Hi BBOD,

Quick question, ive been doing an upper/lower split for awhile now and have been having problems recovering when I squat and deadlift in the same session. I get a pain in my lower left back. Ive also been only able to get to the gym three times per so I was thinking of doing a full body. How does this look?

Squat 3 15 rep goal
Bench/Press 3 (15)
Row/chin 3(20)

Deadlift 1 x 3-5
bench /press3 (15)
Row /chin

Squat
Press/bench
chin/
Row
This will be the main body of the workout, I will be continuing the rep goal system from the upper/lower split. Anything you have to say about this would be great beast.
A pain in your lower back is usually a sign that something is going wrong with form. Do you have any Youtube videos of your squats or deads?

The above program looks good.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #282
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

I don't, will get some up in the next week.

Thanks BBOD.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens
OHDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #283
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beastsyn is a lifting beast

what do you recommend for training while on vacation.

Ill keep this short - at the end of month I'm going to states for two weeks.
I feel like I've made good progress over the last few weeks of training.routine. Would a prison style workout help me hold on the strength
Squats,push ups & chairs dips, or should I not bother?
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #284
HostDisorder
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

HostDisorder is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
What is your height and age? Also, have you just been on a cutting diet, or do you know how many calories you are eating per day?

Second question...keep your arms locked and straight. Yanking on a bar with a bent arm is a good way to tear a bicep.
In reference to first Q, i'm 5'9" and 20. Since i started properly training i've been at a constant SLIGHT deficit which has helped shed what fat i had, in the process gained moderate mass, and now at a point where just maintaining, but psychologically, it fees like you're making no progress.
HostDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #285
cairnsey08
Brawn
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: half a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey protein
cairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good start
Default machines

Have you ever used machines bearded beast of Duloc ? whats your opinion on them
cairnsey08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #286
JustinWorkouts
Brawn
Points: 1,518, Level: 22 Points: 1,518, Level: 22 Points: 1,518, Level: 22
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Whey Protein O.N
JustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality postsJustinWorkouts has made some quality posts
Question

Hey, I just pulled 440lbs using the Ed Coan Deadlift program. It was only 12 weeks long. What should I do to get up to a 500lb deadlift? maybe by the month of July?

Last edited by JustinWorkouts; 04-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.
JustinWorkouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #287
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
what do you recommend for training while on vacation.

Ill keep this short - at the end of month I'm going to states for two weeks.
I feel like I've made good progress over the last few weeks of training.routine. Would a prison style workout help me hold on the strength
Squats,push ups & chairs dips, or should I not bother?
If I wanted to keep conditioning I would do some sprints, followed by a 20 minute run.

For bodyweight, I would use rest pause. Limit rest between sets to 15-20 seconds. I would do this 3x a week.

--Push Ups - 5 sets AMAP
--Pull Ups - 5 sets AMAP
--Chair Dips - 5 sets AMAP
--Lunges or Jump Squats - 5 sets x 20

You could also find a heavierish object to do one arm overhead presses with, or even curls and/or extensions. To maximize these object moves if the weight isn't challenging enough, simply slow the cadence down.

I would limit workouts to 45 minutes a day and enjoy vacation.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #288
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostDisorder View Post
In reference to first Q, i'm 5'9" and 20. Since i started properly training i've been at a constant SLIGHT deficit which has helped shed what fat i had, in the process gained moderate mass, and now at a point where just maintaining, but psychologically, it fees like you're making no progress.
Host I am going to be honest with you because I care and want to see you reach your goals.

Right now you are 5'9" 143. You are rail thin with little muscle mass, no disrespect meant. You are also 20. You need to stop cutting diets and build muscle mass. Eat to satiety with 80% clean foods. You will not get fat doing this.

You have 2 options:

1) Continue to remain underweight the rest of your life, fearing all fat gain.
2) Eat normally with clean foods, trusting you won't get obese.

It takes a lot of work to get obese. You are not going to get fat eating to satiety with clean foods.

If you spend the rest of your life worried about going +-5-10 pounds of fat you'll remain super thin and will never build muscle. Bodybuilders get 30 to 40 pounds heavier in the off-season and don't look fat.

Also, as long as you remain thin, gaining a couple of pounds of fat will make you look worse. After you add 20-25 pounds of muscle, 5-10 extra pounds of fat makes you look better.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #289
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnsey08 View Post
Have you ever used machines bearded beast of Duloc ? whats your opinion on them
Sure I've used some. I was forced to use a Smith machine for a year on bench press in 1996. I worked out early, the gym had no spotters, so I gave the Smith a try. I also used some cables over the year.

Seated cable rows are actually one of my favorite back exercises.

My opinion...lifters should avoid most machines for at least a year. Build a base on the quality movements, work on form, learn to grow and eat. Once you know how to grow, and are in it for muscle building, then you will know best how to maximize machines.

In some cases machines can be easier on the joints. In some cases, such as with the Smith machine, they can be worse. My year of using the Smith for bench tore me up.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #290
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinWorkouts View Post
Hey, I just pulled 440lbs using the Ed Coan Deadlift program. It was only 12 weeks long. What should I do to get up to a 500lb deadlift? maybe by the month of July?
First thing you need to know is that big jumps come when you're starting, but they decrease with time. That's a huge jump and there is no program on the planet I could recommend that would guarantee that big of a jump for you right now.

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing. When you find something that works, stick with it. Instead of chasing numbers, chase progress and keep killing programs that are creating gains. You'll get to 500 soon enough.

It took me a year to go from 565 to 622, and another 18 months to get to 675.

That's 10.5 cycles, if I were using a 12 week program like you. So I gained about 10 pounds every 10 weeks. This is extremely good progress for an intermediate lifter. My point is this...it might take you to year's end to get to 500 with where you are at now.