Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #261
NTF
New Brawn
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: CGBP
Fav Supp: Coffee
NTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forumNTF is new to the forum

How much recovery time is optimal for naturals? Are there any benefits for novice lifters who follow a full body routine 2 times per week over 3 times per week?
NTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #262
smankin92
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

smankin92 is off to a bad start
Default knees over toes?

Hi Bearded Beast,
I have a question about squat form. What's your opinion on whether knees can go past your toes? I've heard for a long time that it will put too much stress on your knees but i've also seen people like elliot hulse say that its a natural movement and that your knees will adapt to the added stress and get stronger. i use a narrow stance by the way and always make sure to go at least parallel if not lower
smankin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #263
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez View Post

Is it Ok if I use a explosive motion on the concentric phase? for the eccentric phase I would just go as fast as the barbell pulls me down.
Absolutely. Telling a muscle it needs to work harder is rarely a bad thing. People often associate speed with sloppy reps, but that's not accurate. I like controlled speed.

Moving a heavy weight from point A to point B is going to require force, and part of that force equation is acceleration (speed).

Force = mass x acceleration.

Even on very heavy weights where you don't feel like you are accelerating much, you are still trying to accelerate, which is improving force output.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #264
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF View Post
How much recovery time is optimal for naturals? Are there any benefits for novice lifters who follow a full body routine 2 times per week over 3 times per week?
There is strong evidence that working each bodypart 2-3x per week is more optimal than a split. Protein synthesis levels tend to return to baseline after 48 hours, so if you train more frequently you are creating a greater potential to build muscle.

You can't approach frequency training like splits though. The point is to work a muscle each day properly, not destroy it so you can't move for a week.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #265
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smankin92 View Post
Hi Bearded Beast,
I have a question about squat form. What's your opinion on whether knees can go past your toes? I've heard for a long time that it will put too much stress on your knees but i've also seen people like elliot hulse say that its a natural movement and that your knees will adapt to the added stress and get stronger. i use a narrow stance by the way and always make sure to go at least parallel if not lower
My knees have always gone past my toes.

My honest opinion is this...I want a lifter to learn a squat form that feels natural to them. If they are hitting depth and have weeded out common flaws like the tendency to good morning a squat, then I wouldn't worry about knees going past toes.

I know a lot of raw squatters who could care less about knees and toes, and I've never seen them have issues from it.

The worst thing you can do to your knees is squat above parallel. This creates an anterior dominant squat, and places more stress on the knees.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #266
smankin92
Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1 Points: 21, Level: 1

smankin92 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
My knees have always gone past my toes.

My honest opinion is this...I want a lifter to learn a squat form that feels natural to them. If they are hitting depth and have weeded out common flaws like the tendency to good morning a squat, then I wouldn't worry about knees going past toes.

I know a lot of raw squatters who could care less about knees and toes, and I've never seen them have issues from it.

The worst thing you can do to your knees is squat above parallel. This creates an anterior dominant squat, and places more stress on the knees.
thank you sir. Is it normal that i feel a lot of soreness in my knees the next day? Is that possibly DOMS, I'm hesitant to call it knee pain but is not a great feeling?
smankin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #267
chippy7
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start

Hey BBOD!
I have been training for a couple months and am just starting to get some mind muscle connection on my lifts. I think I am getting decent MMC for chest movements but not much for my back.
I am doing DB rows 5x5 rep scheme. I have been doing my research about DB rows and it says to retract scapula. This is pretty difficult to do while I do the rows. Could you give me some tips or advice on back development?
Thanks BBOD!
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #268
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

I just managed to watch your "Is Creatine a Steroid?" video almost all of the way through.

{For some reason, though it is very brief, it wants to stop and download big-time...}

Yes, The World is full of Chuckleheads.

In a way, you leave yourself open to them, by having videos and a Forum...

Though many Functioning Adults are also glad that you do.

I have a question though—Not so much about Creatine as about the attitudes it brings to a focus.

I detect an undercurrent in "The Establishment"; "Powers That Be"; "Academia"; "The Military Industrial Complex" or whatever you chose to call them...

Joking—though only slightly...

They seem to regard bulking-up as a very dubious enterprise at best—though they aren't straightforward enough to say so...

And anything that helps, or is even reputed to help:

Creatine; Inosine; Protein Supplements; High Protein Diets; Mega-Vitamins...

Especially Steroids....

Gets put under the microscope and Super-Scrutenized.

Lets try to find some Reason—or failing that—some Pretext to discourage its use.

Everything on my list isn't equally efficacious nor equally risky...

But I'm talking about the "Trend".

I recall some arrant nonsense that supposedly knowledgeable people are still spewing about Creatine—and Steroids...

It makes me wonder...

Saxon Violence

Last edited by SaxonViolence; 04-09-2013 at 04:22 PM.
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #269
Aless
Points: 808, Level: 15 Points: 808, Level: 15 Points: 808, Level: 15

Aless is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's a huge setup issue.

As I mentioned, your hips are going up first because they are too low. This is your body trying to seek a proper leverage point. My advice was:

"You want to get set, raise your hips, then lower them until they feel at a good leverage point...then pull."
Hello,

I've got two new videos applying the feedback. The first one I didn't really like it, specially my lower back and due to the repetitions:

The second with a bigger load I think I got a better result... do you see any huge mistakes here?

(sorry for the YouTube links being like that, I don't have permissions to post external links yet)

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Aless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #270
davez
Brawn
Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19 Points: 1,250, Level: 19

Training Type: Starting Strength
davez is new to the forumdavez is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aless View Post
Hello,

I've got two new videos applying the feedback. The first one I didn't really like it, specially my lower back and due to the repetitions:

a8Z5IZKqLys

The second with a bigger load I think I got a better result... do you see any huge mistakes here?

Pu1XUZV5n6Y

(sorry for the YouTube links being like that, I don't have permissions to post external links yet)

Thanks a lot.
here are your vids brah:
First

Second

I watched the second one. On the regular deadlift your lower back is rounding at the bottom next to your butt, I think is because your legs are very low and almost parallel to the ground they should be in a more perpendicular position, deadlifts are not like squats. To begin with, your stance should be with the bar over the middle on your foot, grab the bar without bending your knees (it doesn't matter if you round your back at this point) then bend your knees until your shins touch the bar DO NOT MOVE THE BAR and then squeeze your chest up, squeezing your chest up is a good trick to put your whole back in a straight position, squeeze the bar very hard with your forearms and make sure your shoulders are over the bar and push with your heels and keep the bar close to your legs during the whole movement.

Last edited by davez; 04-10-2013 at 03:26 PM.
davez is offline   Reply With Quote