Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #231
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwinfield View Post
Hey BBOD,

Your videos and advice are great and have helped me a lot. I have started doing a full body workout about 3 months ago. Some questions:

1) For chest building, what would you recommend, flat bench press or a combo of incline and decline?

2) For muscle and strength gains, is it better to do sets of 5 reps or 10 reps? (obviously focusing on progressive overload). Right now I'm doing 2 sets of 10 reps for each exercise in my full body workout (except for deadlifts), but I feel I could progress faster if I did sets of 5 reps.

3) After doing squats and deadlifts I usually end up with some kind of tension and very minor pain in the lower back, after about 5 to 10 minutes it is gone. Is this normal or may I be doing something wrong? I really don't wanna get some bad injuries.

Thanks a lot
Thanks Fwin.

1) For muscle building I like a combination of a dumbbell and barbell movement. You could do flat bench barbell and incline dumbbell, or flat bench dumbbell and incline barbell.

You could also rotate between these 2 every other week, which is a fun option as well.

After this you could add in an isolation or machine style movement depending on your program structure.

2) I am not a fan of sticking to rep ranges. I like pushing each set for as many reps as possible, stopping that set when I feel I might fail on the next rep. Check out my "rep goal system" for more information, and let me know if you have any questions:

Rep Goal System | Huge Gainer

You can adjust rep goals for each exercise based on the range of reps that feels best for you, as long as you are at 5 or more for each of the sets.

3) Sharp pain or just dull pain/fatigue?

Odds are your lower back is weak and your form is off. Time will help the first aspect. Regarding form, it is best to post videos of your squats and deadlifts so we can give you a few pointers that will save your lower back.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #232
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
What would you recommend when it comes to trying to learn a low bar squat or a powerlifting style squat with a really wide stance? I've been trying to throw some in now and then but its impossible for me to hit depth/ get my hips below knee. The way my body is I am most comfortable squatting with a narrower stance and I can get really low. So with a max squat of 400 one time ever should I even be worried about this wide stance or just focus on progressing with what I'm comfortable with?
I guess the question is this...if you are comfortable with with a narrow stance, why change? I wouldn't.

Believe it or not, most raw squatters at meets are not low bar, wide stance. If you go to UPA meets, you'll see me, the Lilliebridges, and nearly every other raw lifter squatting conventional stance with a high bar style.

There is a lot of info on the net making it seem like all powerlifters are wide stance. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are far more raw conventional stance squatters.

I would stick with this and get your quad size as big as possible.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #233
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn View Post
Hey man, Just watched your new youtube vid on test booster.
Do you know of some good products to try out aside from the horny goat weed.

Is I had a quick search on Google, and ZMA seems to pop up a lot.

I might try something out, as I burn out quickly and I left it kinda late in life to take up physical activities. Might help

Thanks
The most popular and highly rated is currently:

APE - 32 reviews, over 4.5 rating.

They said it should be stocking within the week.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #234
syn
Max Brawn
Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39 Points: 3,936, Level: 39
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: not enough
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: deadlift
Fav Supp: coffee
syn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machinesyn is a lifting machine

Thanks man, Ill read up on it
syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #235
Randomguy1335
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Randomguy1335 is off to a bad start

Hello BBOD!

What are your opinions on Jason Blaha's 5x5 program? Would you say it's suitable for a total newb with it's aggressive weight increasing scheme?

I myself have been doing it for about 3-4 months now and I find it very hard to keep up with the 5lb increases each workout, in fact I have to reset even 3 or 4 times before I can add that much weight on most of my lifts.

While Jason himself has said that a begginer should not stall on bench for example up until like 225lbs, I've been struggling to bench more than 55kg for quite some time.

Would you say I should switch to some lighter rep progression scheme or should I just stick to this program and stop being a puss ?

Thanks in advance.
Randomguy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #236
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I guess the question is this...if you are comfortable with with a narrow stance, why change? I wouldn't.

Believe it or not, most raw squatters at meets are not low bar, wide stance. If you go to UPA meets, you'll see me, the Lilliebridges, and nearly every other raw lifter squatting conventional stance with a high bar style.

There is a lot of info on the net making it seem like all powerlifters are wide stance. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are far more raw conventional stance squatters.

I would stick with this and get your quad size as big as possible.
Thank you.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #237
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1335 View Post
Hello BBOD!

What are your opinions on Jason Blaha's 5x5 program? Would you say it's suitable for a total newb with it's aggressive weight increasing scheme?

I myself have been doing it for about 3-4 months now and I find it very hard to keep up with the 5lb increases each workout, in fact I have to reset even 3 or 4 times before I can add that much weight on most of my lifts.

While Jason himself has said that a begginer should not stall on bench for example up until like 225lbs, I've been struggling to bench more than 55kg for quite some time.

Would you say I should switch to some lighter rep progression scheme or should I just stick to this program and stop being a puss ?

Thanks in advance.
All newbs should try to get as strong as possible, as quickly and safely as possible. With that said, I've heard it taking upwards of 2 hours per session, and if that is true, can't say I would personally recommend it.

I use a different approach to progress that is a bit more organic. After you answer a few questions I'll make some suggestions.

Regarding your bench, how long have you been at 55kgs?

Also, what is your current age, height and weight? And how many calories do you eat per day?

I'll see what I can do to help you reach your goals.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #238
chippy7
New Brawn
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

chippy7 is off to a bad start

Hey BBOD.
Ur videos on youtube have helped me out alot.
I just had a question regarding knees caving in while perfoming squats.
I believe I have the basic knowledge to squatting and I am squatting with good form.
When I stand up from my squat, my left knee caves in.
This happens when I am doing heavy sets.
What do you think the issue is for me? My foot stance is fine.
I hope u can help me out.
Thank you for reading this.
chippy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #239
Randomguy1335
Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1 Points: 61, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Randomguy1335 is off to a bad start

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
All newbs should try to get as strong as possible, as quickly and safely as possible. With that said, I've heard it taking upwards of 2 hours per session, and if that is true, can't say I would personally recommend it.

I use a different approach to progress that is a bit more organic. After you answer a few questions I'll make some suggestions.

Regarding your bench, how long have you been at 55kgs?

Also, what is your current age, height and weight? And how many calories do you eat per day?

I'll see what I can do to help you reach your goals.
Yes, the workouts usually take from 1,5 to 2 hours.

It's been about 2 months that I've been bouncing between 45-55kg on my rep sets.

I am turning 19 soon, my height is about 185cm and I weigh 82kg at about 17% BF.

I eat 2900 calories daily, I feel I have gained a lot of fat lately and because I had a really crappy scale I couldnt really tell whether and how fast I was gaining weight. 2 days ago I got a new one with 0,1kg resolution so I hopefully will be able monitor my weight gains more accurately. But I sure as hell am in a 300-400kcal surplus at least.

Thanks for your response.
Randomguy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #240
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippy7 View Post
Hey BBOD.
Ur videos on youtube have helped me out alot.
I just had a question regarding knees caving in while perfoming squats.
I believe I have the basic knowledge to squatting and I am squatting with good form.
When I stand up from my squat, my left knee caves in.
This happens when I am doing heavy sets.
What do you think the issue is for me? My foot stance is fine.
I hope u can help me out.
Thank you for reading this.
"Knees caving in" is a general sign of weakness. Com with tell you it's adductors, some hammies and some glutes.

Can I ask how long you've been squatting, it you are wide stance, and if you have any videos of your squats on Youtube?

This is a common issue. In most cases time will fix it as you strengthen. It does help to have someone with experience look at your squat form.