Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #201
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Hail Bearded Beast,

Has a mass monster like yourself ever gotten injured or had joint problems in your career?

Thanks
I've had plenty of strains, but never a serious lifting injury. I threw my lower back out 3-4 times from deadlifting too heavily, too frequently.

I had elbow tendonitis, but that went away when I dropped my direct arm work dramatically.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #202
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

BBOD, what does it take to grow calves? I must have the worst calf genes, tried high reps, low reps, heavy weight, light weight, body weight, tried the tnation article where you do 100 bw raises a day for a month, (gave me sore calves for a month and that's about it) and lastly no training hoping they will grow squatting and deadlifting alone. I squat, frequently for going on three years and I will be devastated if someone ever said (dyelegday lol) cause of my shit skinny calves.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #203
drummerguydw
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

drummerguydw is off to a bad start

Current lifts: bench: 200 x 2
Squat 285 x 1
Deadlift :375 x 1
Standing press: 135 x 2
24 years old, height :5 10
Weight 194 @ 20% bf

I was considering stronglifts or starting strength also, but I wanted to stick to one program log term and I figured if have to switch after a couple months if I did stronglifts or something, I ran it before and stopped progressing on the stronglifts program

Last edited by drummerguydw; 03-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.
drummerguydw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #204
cairnsey08
Brawn
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: half a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey protein
cairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good start
Default Light weights

I'm just wondering if you can build muscles lifting lightweight weights as the gym am at is limited to 50lb dumbbells for example doing dumbbell rows or shrugs I can do way more than 8 some advice would be appropriated thanks
cairnsey08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #205
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
BBOD, what does it take to grow calves? I must have the worst calf genes, tried high reps, low reps, heavy weight, light weight, body weight, tried the tnation article where you do 100 bw raises a day for a month, (gave me sore calves for a month and that's about it) and lastly no training hoping they will grow squatting and deadlifting alone. I squat, frequently for going on three years and I will be devastated if someone ever said (dyelegday lol) cause of my shit skinny calves.
Most guys don't get their calves strong. They work them hard, but not for strength.

Try this 2x a week...you will need straps, preferably Versa Gripps.

Stand holding a barbell with 315 pounds. Do 5 sets of 8 reps, standing calf raises. Every week add 5 pounds to the bar.

Don't use boards under your feet or anything like that. Just do standing barbell calf raises. You will be doing this, but holding the bar, and NOT with it on your back.

Continue this for 6 months. Measure your calves cold at the start and end of 6 months.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #206
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerguydw View Post
Current lifts: bench: 200 x 2
Squat 285 x 1
Deadlift :375 x 1
Standing press: 135 x 2
24 years old, height :5 10
Weight 194 @ 20% bf

I was considering stronglifts or starting strength also, but I wanted to stick to one program log term and I figured if have to switch after a couple months if I did stronglifts or something, I ran it before and stopped progressing on the stronglifts program
I think it would serve you well. I wouldn't do stronglifts or starting strength.

Here's a program I made is you're interested in an upper/lower:

Huge Gainer Early Intermediate Strength Building 4 Day Split | Huge Gainer

Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #207
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnsey08 View Post
I'm just wondering if you can build muscles lifting lightweight weights as the gym am at is limited to 50lb dumbbells
With a limited amount of weight your best best is to limit rest between sets to 30-45 seconds, and do as many reps as possible per set, even if they are 20-40.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #208
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Most guys don't get their calves strong. They work them hard, but not for strength.

Try this 2x a week...you will need straps, preferably Versa Gripps.

Stand holding a barbell with 315 pounds. Do 5 sets of 8 reps, standing calf raises. Every week add 5 pounds to the bar.

Don't use boards under your feet or anything like that. Just do standing barbell calf raises. You will be doing this, but holding the bar, and NOT with it on your back.

How To: Standing Barbell Calf Raise - YouTube

Continue this for 6 months. Measure your calves cold at the start and end of 6 months.
Steve that actually sound like fun. Works forearms too! Great answer, appreciate it!
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #209
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Steve that actually sound like fun. Works forearms too! Great answer, appreciate it!
You bet. I took the idea from John Christy. He started using heavy weight and low reps on his clients and it worked.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #210
Betelgeuse
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Betelgeuse is off to a bad start

Just signed up to say this:

Found your channel on YouTube; watched a few of your videos; subscribed; went on this forum; found a link to your Facebook; realized you studied Math and Astrophysics; went "Coooool!! that's what I'm doing too! herpderp"; realized that wasn't an actual conversation starter; decided to post it anyway.

Don't you love the internet?

Anyway I guess I might as well ask for your advice while I'm at it, because you do seem very friendly and willing to help.

So I'm 23, about 141 pounds at roughly 5% body fat, almost 6"1.
About 6 weeks ago I started deadlifting for the first time (After a period of reading about it and watching it performed online) and it immediately became my favorite exercise.

However 2 weeks ago my lower back did not recover as quickly from the workout (Instead of 2-3 days it took about 10..), and I essentially panicked.

3 trainers have looked at my form, and I think it is decent. It's just that I think I'm utilizing my lower back much more than I'm supposed to. I heard your advice about pushing the hips forward as the bar gets to knee level, I'm going to try that next. I'm also trying to push the ground with my feet, anything to minimize lower-back usage.

Do you have any other comments about how to distribute the load on the posterior chain in a way that makes sense?

It's just that I have a long torso, so I'm working against a large moment which will inevitably be felt in my lower back. But I won't be able to raise the weights too much without taking a lot of the load off if it.

And on a totally unrelated topic: How do you feel about supplementing with Omega 3 capsules for the benefit of your wrists and joints?

Cheers from Israel!
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote