Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #1731
Renton
Brawn
Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17 Points: 1,024, Level: 17
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 3 years+
Fav Exercise: front squat
Fav Supp: whey protein
Renton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good postsRenton has made some good posts

Hi I had a question about dumbbell row and figured you were the guy to ask since you do them often and use some serious weight. I notice some people advise rowing with a lighter weight and keeping shoulder pinned back using very strict form with only the arm really moving. I also see other lifters who use some really heavy weight and really stretch the shoulder and lats for a large range of motion which some may call poor form but they have massive backs. What's your take on this? Am I going to damage my shoulder by stretching at the bottom? Thanks for your advice!
Renton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #1732
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Hi I had a question about dumbbell row and figured you were the guy to ask since you do them often and use some serious weight. I notice some people advise rowing with a lighter weight and keeping shoulder pinned back using very strict form with only the arm really moving. I also see other lifters who use some really heavy weight and really stretch the shoulder and lats for a large range of motion which some may call poor form but they have massive backs. What's your take on this? Am I going to damage my shoulder by stretching at the bottom? Thanks for your advice!
Stretching at the bottom is rather pointless, in my opinion. I set the weight down for a split second in between reps. Any impact a stretch has upon muscle building is trivial compared to explosive, powerful reps.

See my video today on how to drive the elbows back for maximal contraction, growth and weight.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #1733
jacklost91
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

jacklost91 is new to the forumjacklost91 is new to the forum

Hey Steve. I am a big fan of your videos and i learned a lot from you. Thanks. I got a question. I am 23 years old, 177 cm, 83 kgs with a bodyfat level of 20% (+,- 2%). I have been training for a while now and I am getting pretty strong even though my nutrition is not that good. I look somehow massive in my tshirts but without my t shirts I, well, dont look that good :P I have recently decided to start your full body workout that you have suggested on a Muscle and Strength article, (Forget Steroid, 5 Full Body Workouts.... the intermediate one) and its working pretty good for me, I am enjoying my workouts a lot and i do believe it has more results than splits. Generally I am a person that finds a lot of trouble while taking decisions. I do wanna look big, but simultaneously I want my abs to be visible. I could go through a cutting diet theoretically, but i dont have the means right now, i cant follow the diet right now( I am a student and blah blah). So heres my question: Is there a way to build muscle and burn fat simultaneously, lets say to get transformed, not just lose the fat, but build muscle and burn fat? What should my daily caloric intake be? If I keep on dieting on a caloric surplus, the chances are I will be gaining muscle and strength, but also fat and I would still look bad. I once tried a cutting diet, but due to my lack of information I ended up losing 10 kgs and looking skinny( that was a year ago). Any suggestion would be really helpful. Also any link to any relevant article of yours would also be helpful Thank you

Last edited by jacklost91; 08-23-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added some stuff
jacklost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #1734
zerok
New Brawn
Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3 Points: 169, Level: 3
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5 years
Fav Supp: Creatine
zerok is new to the forumzerok is new to the forum

Hello,
Which lift among the big three u feel is most technical?
zerok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #1735
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerok View Post
Hello,
Which lift among the big three u feel is most technical?
The bench press. There are only a few squat and deadlift cues I need to remember, but bench press is a different story.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #1736
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklost91 View Post
Hey Steve. I am a big fan of your videos and i learned a lot from you. Thanks. I got a question. I am 23 years old, 177 cm, 83 kgs with a bodyfat level of 20% (+,- 2%). I have been training for a while now and I am getting pretty strong even though my nutrition is not that good. I look somehow massive in my tshirts but without my t shirts I, well, dont look that good :P I have recently decided to start your full body workout that you have suggested on a Muscle and Strength article, (Forget Steroid, 5 Full Body Workouts.... the intermediate one) and its working pretty good for me, I am enjoying my workouts a lot and i do believe it has more results than splits. Generally I am a person that finds a lot of trouble while taking decisions. I do wanna look big, but simultaneously I want my abs to be visible. I could go through a cutting diet theoretically, but i dont have the means right now, i cant follow the diet right now( I am a student and blah blah). So heres my question: Is there a way to build muscle and burn fat simultaneously, lets say to get transformed, not just lose the fat, but build muscle and burn fat? What should my daily caloric intake be? If I keep on dieting on a caloric surplus, the chances are I will be gaining muscle and strength, but also fat and I would still look bad. I once tried a cutting diet, but due to my lack of information I ended up losing 10 kgs and looking skinny( that was a year ago). Any suggestion would be really helpful. Also any link to any relevant article of yours would also be helpful Thank you
Thanks JL91.

You need to focus on one goal at a time. If you can't follow a precise diet the odds of you seeing your abs while maintaining muscle mass will be slim.

The truth is that everyone and their brother wants to get big and lose fat at the same time. Your best bet is to spend several years building muscle, then cut. You'll have the muscle for life.

If you cut and see visible abs, you need to understand that this is not a sustainable conditioning for most men, especially if they want to build muscle.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #1737
dlocas
Brawn
Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14 Points: 775, Level: 14
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: 1 + 1
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Omega-3
dlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good postsdlocas has made some good posts

Question on the overhead press

Dear Bearded Beast of Duloc,

First of all, I wish to thank you for your vid #169 about the Deadlift. As of late, I've done something that is going to remain in my log (arguably) as the most brutal, non-sensical thing I've ever done in the gym - namely, to deadlift 400+ lbs (82-90%) THREE DAYS IN A ROW! I survived (with severe DOMS in my right calf of all places). I've watched and re-watched your video and I'm back on track to set some new PRs. So, thanks!

Overhead Press - Right now, I'm focusing on the clean & press. I started doing 145 x 5 reps about 3 months ago, and I am now up to 165 lbs x 4 reps. Of course, progress has really slowed down and I am not too sure how to go about for further progress, my goal being to hit a 200+ press (ultimately 250+). I've been thinking of doing the simple Reg Park approach (3 times a week and 3 x 5 -- 60 / 80 / 100% of work weight, plus maybe one bak-off set). Is there any assistance lift (maybe floor press) or other stuff I could do? Thanks!

Last edited by dlocas; 08-28-2014 at 12:29 PM.
dlocas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #1738
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlocas View Post

Overhead Press - Right now, I'm focusing on the clean & press. I started doing 145 x 5 reps about 3 months ago, and I am now up to 165 lbs x 4 reps. Of course, progress has really slowed down and I am not too sure how to go about for further progress, my goal being to hit a 200+ press (ultimately 250+). I've been thinking of doing the simple Reg Park approach (3 times a week and 3 x 5 -- 60 / 80 / 100% of work weight, plus maybe one bak-off set). Is there any assistance lift (maybe floor press) or other stuff I could do? Thanks!
My best advice is to train with reps every other week. Once strength progress slows on overheads, low rep sets - in my opinion - are not the best way to train for shoulder strength.

I would do clean and press one week (over every other workout on a fullbody), and overhead rep work (6-10 reps per set) the other week.

You don't want to overtrain the press. I've found more negatives than positives to frequent overheads.

As assistance, work on triceps - meaning add volume. I would do close grips and laying tricep extensions (bar to top of head, not to forehead).

Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #1739
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Hey Steve,

Is it a good idea to train four days a week if you have the time and the desire?

I have been training 3 day a week ďFullbodyĒ, focusing on compounds plus power shrugs and pause squats, for almost a full year now and I feel like Iíve made good progress. But Iím sort of bored with the 3 day a week routine. I would like to try 4 days a week but I donít want to do body part splits. Iíd rather keep focusing on compound movements and just throw in some isolation work after.

Iím debating on going with an Upper/Lower Split or have a day dedicated to each compound (squat, deadlift, military press, and bench press) but Iím not sure which one would be best.

What would you recommend? Iím not a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, Iím jut a guy who wants to get big & strong and look good with my shirt off.

Any suggestions would be great.

P.S. - I also asked this question on your other site Massive Iron, I didnt know how often you checked it so I posted on here too.

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #1740
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Hey Steve, about my above question, what do you think about this upper/lower split? I'm not sure about rep ranges...

UPPER (Heavy)
-Military Press
-Power Shrugs
-Bench Press
-Barbell Rows
-Triceps
-Biceps

LOWER
-Squat (heavy)
-Leg Press
-Pause Squats

UPPER (Lite)
-Dumbbell Bench Press
-Seated Row or DB Row
-Shoulder Press
-Face Pulls or Lat Pull downs ?
-Triceps
-Biceps

LOWER
-Deadlift (Heavy)
-SLDL or Leg Curls
-Calves

Maybe do some ab work on the lower days.

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 08-29-2014 at 03:40 AM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote