Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #1671
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevman View Post
Mon-OHP 5/3/1
DB press 4x8
Fly's 4x8
BB Row 3x8
ABS

WED-Dead

Fri-Bench YOUR ROUTINE
Behind head press 5x6
Fly's 4x8
BB Row 3x8
ABS

Sat-Squat
I would do:

Mon-Close Grip Bench 4x8
DB press 4x8
BB Row 3x8
DB Arnold press 3x8 (you need some shoulder work)
Cable Tricep Extensions 3-4x10-12
ABS

Fri-Bench YOUR ROUTINE
Dumbbell Row 3 x 8-10
Side Lateral Raise 3x10-12
Skullcrushers 3x10-12
Face Pulls 3x10-13
ABS

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 08:22 PM   #1672
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdykoff View Post
Hey BTB,

I'm thinking about giving a whole body HLM style routine a try. Here's my background/stats 37yo 270lbs lifting for about a year and a half with 1rm's around 395/275/435 and OHP 155.
Numbers look good. At this point some form of HLM periodization might not hurt.

Quote:
My goals are natural muscle and strength building and possibly a power lifting meet later this year to see what I think of competing. Here's the routine I'm thinking of using and I'd appreciate any feedback.
Good goals. Just know that a full body can take a few months to adapt to (worst case), so don't get frustrated if things take a few weeks to iron out.

Quote:
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay row (a week) 3x10
Low rack pull/power shrug (b week) 3x10
Arnold press 3x10
Skull crushers 2x10
Bar curls 2x10
Abs and calves

Light day

Leg extensions 3x15
Leg curls 3x8-10
Incline dumbell press 3x15
Lat pull downs 3x15
Bent over Rev flyes 3x15
Cable triceps ext 2x15
Dumbell curls 2x15
Abs

Heavy back/shoulders moderate squat/chest

Dead lift (a week) 3x5 Pendlay row (b week) 3x5
OHP 3x5
Paused squat 2-3x8-10
Bench press 3x10
RDL 2x10
Close grip bench 2x10
Barbell curl 2x10
Abs
I love the program. I'd run it. Well thought out, and you are not trying to overkill the arms which is a great sign.

Solid.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #1673
FlankNW
Brawn
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

I'm taking a few newbies to the gym (girls) who want to learn how to lift - it's an age since I started lifting, so I can barely remember how I started (and if I could, I'm fairly sure I'd want to kill myself for doing it now).

What would you do to start them off? I was thinking something along the lines of squats/deads/bench with a few supplementary exercises (pullups/rows) and some ab work, keeping it simple, and trying to get them into 5 rep ranges, do you know of any other strategies/interesting techniques for new trainees?
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #1674
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlankNW View Post
I'm taking a few newbies to the gym (girls) who want to learn how to lift - it's an age since I started lifting, so I can barely remember how I started (and if I could, I'm fairly sure I'd want to kill myself for doing it now).

What would you do to start them off? I was thinking something along the lines of squats/deads/bench with a few supplementary exercises (pullups/rows) and some ab work, keeping it simple, and trying to get them into 5 rep ranges, do you know of any other strategies/interesting techniques for new trainees?
I usually start women off with a more friendly full body program. I like to do an A/B type of split, one day with free weights and one day with machines.

I wouldn't go as low as 5 reps. They need reps right now to build neuromuscular efficiency, and to practice form and get comfortable with exercises.

Workout A
Squats or Leg Press
DB Bench Press
One Arm DB Rows
Seated Arnold Press
Leg Curls
Arms, Abs and even calves

Workout B
Leg Extension or Hack Squat
Machine Press or Pec Dec
V-Bar Lat Pull Downs
Side Lateral Raise
DB Stiff Leg Deadlifts

Old 06-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #1675
FlankNW
Brawn
Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14 Points: 774, Level: 14
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%

Training Exp: 3 years.
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Anything Cheap :)
FlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality postsFlankNW has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I usually start women off with a more friendly full body program. I like to do an A/B type of split, one day with free weights and one day with machines.

I wouldn't go as low as 5 reps. They need reps right now to build neuromuscular efficiency, and to practice form and get comfortable with exercises.

Workout A
Squats or Leg Press
DB Bench Press
One Arm DB Rows
Seated Arnold Press
Leg Curls

Workout B
Leg Extension or Hack Squat
Machine Press or Pec Dec
V-Bar Lat Pull Downs
Side Lateral Raise
DB Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Thanks very much BTB, very helpful, I think I'll go with something more akin to that then, I fully take your point about rep ranges as well - I'll aim for more 8-12 for them I think. Really helpful, hopefully they'll enjoy this .
FlankNW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #1676
Veltor
New Brawn
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 10 months
Fav Supp: Food
Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts
Default Skullcrusher form

Hi BBOD,

I would make you a quick question about lying tricep extension or Skullcrusher. Recently I saw a Jason Blaha's video where he explains how to do a skullcrusher and he do and explains the set up for this exercise like it was a bench press.

So my question is if the scapula should be retracted during all the movement or depressed/relaxed? He does the skullcrusher with shoulder extension (like myself when I do it at the gym)

Once again, thank you very much for all you knowledge and the time that you spend here trying to help us
Veltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #1677
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltor View Post
Hi BBOD,

I would make you a quick question about lying tricep extension or Skullcrusher. Recently I saw a Jason Blaha's video where he explains how to do a skullcrusher and he do and explains the set up for this exercise like it was a bench press.

So my question is if the scapula should be retracted during all the movement or depressed/relaxed? He does the skullcrusher with shoulder extension (like myself when I do it at the gym)

Once again, thank you very much for all you knowledge and the time that you spend here trying to help us
I keep a tight back/scapula when doing them.

You should rotate them down to the top of your head, as the long head of the triceps is a 2 joint movement. Check out my tip on this movement here:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...biceps-triceps

Not sure if this answered your question. Please let me know.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #1678
cairnsey08
Brawn
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19

Training Exp: half a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey protein
cairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good start
Default Jason Blaha 5x5

What do you think of Jason Blaha's novice 5x5 program for overall strength and muscle hypertrophy ?
cairnsey08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #1679
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnsey08 View Post
What do you think of Jason Blaha's novice 5x5 program for overall strength and muscle hypertrophy ?
It's a solid program. A few lifters have remarked that it took longer per session than they expected, but workouts like this often can if you are lifting in a busy gym and/or not keeping a strict rest between sets.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #1680
Veltor
New Brawn
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13

Training Exp: 10 months
Fav Supp: Food
Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I keep a tight back/scapula when doing them.

You should rotate them down to the top of your head, as the long head of the triceps is a 2 joint movement.

Not sure if this answered your question. Please let me know.
When you said a tight back/scapula, do you mean tight like the set up at the Bench Press?

The latest workouts I tried to keep my scapula pinched hard together like I do at the Bench Press but it's really difficult for me set up at the bench with the EZ bar and keep the scapula pinched hard together and as soon as I start the movement, when my elbows travel back for the shoulder rotation of the movement I lose the tightness of my back/scapula.
Veltor is offline   Reply With Quote