Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #1651
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhund_OR View Post
I have put squats back into my training as I noticed that I was not getting the same results without them..

Question...

The other day I did bent rows and deads... was a great work out and the next day I was pumped and felt thick, I liked the results..

BUT... I felt wiped out for 2 days afterwards...

Is there any way to lessen CNS burn out or recover faster? or train to recover faster..

I am 44 so I do not expect to bounce back the next day, but damn I was tired..

thanks as always..
Tell me a bit more about that workout. Can you detail all working sets you did that day, including weight and reps? Thanks. I want to see it there is anything I think you can change.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #1652
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Hi Steve. I have a question about cheat meals.

I was just wondering how often, and how many calories roughly one should be?
I know you told me before that it would be over my normal diet in terms of calories.

Appreciate your time.

- Linden
I don't recommend counting calories. If you want to eat dirty foods, it's ok to do several times per week. This generally won't make a huge impact on weight gain in the long run. On the other hand, if you are eating a large bag of Doritos 4 nights a week along with 3 Mountain Dews, then it's an issue.

I use the plate rule when eating crap foods. I limit the eating to one plate. This allows you to go to birthdays and family gatherings and eat what's been prepared for you. This also allows you to go out to eat with friends and relax.

I never restrict myself in social situations, other than using the plate rule.

Just plain "fun" eating, like normal cheats, are also good for the soul. Just use your best judgement. As long as you're not binge eating very frequently, several times per week is fine.

Your main concern with eating crap foods is long term health. Just use reasonable moderation and it's all good. Don't worry about going over in calories, or counting calories. Enjoy the food.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:37 PM   #1653
Superpower
New Brawn
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Superpower is new to the forumSuperpower is new to the forum
Default Please critique my Squat And Deadlift form.

Hey Steve, my buddy directed me to your Youtube videos which I liked a lot.

I've been lifting/bodybuilding for a couple of years (on and off) but now I'm stalling in my essential lifts: back squat and DL.

So, I wanted to ask if you can look at my vids and tell me why I have such a difficult time getting my DL and squat strength up even though I've read Starting Strength and applied it (it's been a few years so I may have forgotten some of it).

It feels like I'm not activating posterior chain, especially glutes, enough in these lifts, but I simply can't feel them except at the top. This means my lower back takes the load and feels uncomfortable -- not painful: I'd stop if I felt pain. Yes, I try and flex my core/abs as best as I can. I do ab roll-outs too. But I feel like I only DL with quads and lower back, and that is fucked up!

I've done some fire hydrants at home to try and activate the glutes but eh... they're always asleep at the gym. Poor mind muscle-connection?

I'm determined to do whatever it takes to improve and grow bigger. If I could activate all the right muscles today and my lower back wasn't an issue, I feel like could deadlift 3 plates instead of 2!

Last edited by Superpower; 06-15-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Superpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #1654
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpower View Post
Hey Steve, my buddy directed me to your Youtube videos which I liked a lot.
Thanks, and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
I've been lifting/bodybuilding for a couple of years (on and off) but now I'm stalling in my essential lifts: back squat and DL.
First off, it's good to know if the lifts are slowing or stalling. Slowing is normal, stalling - not adding any weight to the bar over a period of months - is not.

What was your deadlift and squat weight and reps at the beginning of the year, and where are they now?

Regarding squats, your butt is staying back. As soon as you come out of the hole, concentrate on driving your hips forward. This will engage your hips and glutes more, and create more power.

Quote:
Poor mind muscle-connection?
Forget that concept. It's useless. Get strong and powerful.

Deadlifts...your grip is way too wide. It's pulling you lower to the ground, placing more strain on the lower back.

Overall your main issue is that your lifts look slow and have little power. You need to not only use good form, but focus on speed and explosiveness. These slow lifts are making each rep take longer, placing more stress on the lower back. They are also zapping you of power.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #1655
Superpower
New Brawn
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1

Superpower is new to the forumSuperpower is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Thanks, and welcome to the forum.
Glad to be here, man.

Quote:
First off, it's good to know if the lifts are slowing or stalling. Slowing is normal, stalling - not adding any weight to the bar over a period of months - is not.

What was your deadlift and squat weight and reps at the beginning of the year, and where are they now?
January 2014: Deadlift 198lbs 3x8 and squat 188lbs 2x8.
June 2014: Deadlift 225lbs 2x8 and squat 210lbs 3x8.

The reason for this is probably mostly faulty technique.

Quote:
Regarding squats, your butt is staying back. As soon as you come out of the hole, concentrate on driving your hips forward. This will engage your hips and glutes more, and create more power.
Yeah, I will focus on this.

Quote:
Deadlifts...your grip is way too wide. It's pulling you lower to the ground, placing more strain on the lower back.

Overall your main issue is that your lifts look slow and have little power. You need to not only use good form, but focus on speed and explosiveness. These slow lifts are making each rep take longer, placing more stress on the lower back. They are also zapping you of power.
Makes sense. I took your advice yesterday and did my deadlifts with a narrow stance and grip and literally TWICE as fast as in my previous videos, and I also warmed up with glute activation movements (glute bridge, hip thrust, palov press), and immediately noticed that my lifting felt better!

Deadlifting explosively, I got up to 85% of the weight that I previously lifted very slowly. At that point my ascension with the bar slowed down a bit.

I felt my body and posterior chain working as one connected piece and I wasn't putting most of the load on my lower back like before. From now on, glute activation movements will ALWAYS precede deadlifts and squats - that's the only way I can lift with proper technique and lift safe.
Superpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #1656
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Quote:
I don't recommend counting calories. If you want to eat dirty foods, it's ok to do several times per week. This generally won't make a huge impact on weight gain in the long run. On the other hand, if you are eating a large bag of Doritos 4 nights a week along with 3 Mountain Dews, then it's an issue.

I use the plate rule when eating crap foods. I limit the eating to one plate. This allows you to go to birthdays and family gatherings and eat what's been prepared for you. This also allows you to go out to eat with friends and relax.

I never restrict myself in social situations, other than using the plate rule.

Just plain "fun" eating, like normal cheats, are also good for the soul. Just use your best judgement. As long as you're not binge eating very frequently, several times per week is fine.

Your main concern with eating crap foods is long term health. Just use reasonable moderation and it's all good. Don't worry about going over in calories, or counting calories. Enjoy the food.
Thanks allot.

This has changed my outlook.

very informative and great way to look at it.

- Linde
LindenGarcia18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #1657
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Pause Squat Question???

Hey BTB

I have a question about pause squats. I going to start doing pause squats one day a week to help improve my heavy(er) squats, (i.e depth & staying up-right). I'll be squatting 2 times a week (1)heavy & (1)lighter. But I don't know how heavy i should go or how many reps/sets?

I had thought about doing (5x8) but...

And as for intensity...? Right now I squat 285lbs for 3x5, I would assume my 1RM would be 300 - 305 maybe..? So, I guess 205 for 5x8? I just don't know. I do understand with paused squats that the focus is more on your form and less about the weight.

What would you recommend?
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #1658
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Hey BTB

I have a question about pause squats. I going to start doing pause squats one day a week to help improve my heavy(er) squats, (i.e depth & staying up-right). I'll be squatting 2 times a week (1)heavy & (1)lighter. But I don't know how heavy i should go or how many reps/sets?

I had thought about doing (5x8) but...

And as for intensity...? Right now I squat 285lbs for 3x5, I would assume my 1RM would be 300 - 305 maybe..? So, I guess 205 for 5x8? I just don't know. I do understand with paused squats that the focus is more on your form and less about the weight.

What would you recommend?
I would recommend starting with a 3x6 around 205. Start slow with these. If this felt ok after a couple weeks, you could move on to a 4x6-8.

This should be plenty.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #1659
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I would recommend starting with a 3x6 around 205. Start slow with these. If this felt ok after a couple weeks, you could move on to a 4x6-8.

This should be plenty.
Thanks for the advice BTB!!!
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #1660
cairnsey08
Brawn
Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19 Points: 1,205, Level: 19

Training Exp: half a year
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Whey protein
cairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good startcairnsey08 is off to a good start
Default full body workout

Hi Steve

Currently running your MuscleandStrength.com program (full body one)

I am enjoying the switch over from splits to full body and find them enjoyable but hard work, just wonder I am doing my workout C tomorrow and then I would usually have 2 days off but that would be a sunday, I cant make it to the gym this sunday, can I go to the gym on saturday and do workout A or take 3 days off ?

e.g This week i did, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, then id take 2 days off but that would be a sunday if you get me is it better to take 1 day after thursday off and repeat the program or take 3 days off, want to fully recover without burning myself out

Last edited by cairnsey08; 06-18-2014 at 05:09 PM.
cairnsey08 is offline   Reply With Quote