Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #1641
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

On the same note as the previous question -

How does your body deal with calories that should've been eaten the day before?

For example, my meals are in fairly big chunks.
My quinoa, which is my main carb source, comes in at around 1000 calories ( 300 grams )
This being the meal I missed the other day, I just ate it the next day instead.

My total calories each day is around 3300 calories.
on the day I missed my quinoa, it would've been 2300 calories.
Like I said, to compensate for this, I just ate the quinoa I should've eaten the day before, the next day, putting me at 4300 calories.

All in all, I got my calories in for those two days, and didn't miss anything.

Thanks to your post above, I now know that it isn't optimal to have too little calories on a given day, even if you still get the right amount of calories overall for the week.
So I know now not to go so low on the occasion I can't get a meal in (make sure I get the biggest, higher calorie meals in, so that if I do have to skip something and eat it the next day, it's a smaller meal with less calories.)

What I was wondering now though, is how the body reacts to a ton of calories (like my 4300 day where I had the missed quinoa on top of everything else.) in one day like that. Way above what you'd normally eat.

I'm not really sure how the body deals with missed meals, and compensation for that, particularly a big number to both miss, and add back in, like 1000.
Does it treat it as a surplus? Or does it account for the fact you had not as many calories the day before.

I don't know weather your body can tell that you've actually had the same amount of calories between the two days, or weather it just treats the extra you've had for the meal you missed as one huge surplus.

If it did treat it as a surplus, that'd be around a 1400 surplus, which for obvious reasons isn't going to do me any favors.

This week, and more or less this week only from now on, my meals have been erratic like this with the college trips I've been on.
I didn't plan my meals very well or take into consideration I might not have much time to get everything in, so this thing with not eating many calories one day, and then eating the meals I didn't eat the previous day has gone on all week.
It's been one extreme to the other. maintenance level with no surplus one day, to a massive surplus the next day from eating yesterdays missed meals along with todays diet.

I'll be glad to get my diet back in the realms of normality now I'm back, I'm just a bit worried my body composition will have changed, in the way of fat gain, from having big groups of calories like that in one day, even if it is the same collectively as I'd normally have in a normal week.
I know the body takes 2 weeks to switch to fat gain mode, but I thought perhaps I might have voided that through what I've been doing all week.
I thought this could also be similar to cheat meals, with the metabolism kicking in etc; like Solider told me a few weeks back, but I'm not sure.

If you could help me out that'd be great, and sorry for the long message, I tried to condense it as much as I could.

Thanks

Last edited by LindenGarcia18; 06-05-2014 at 10:00 AM.
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #1642
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post

Just out of interest, is that because of the anabolic window and recovery for your next session?
If you are lifting consistency, every second is an anabolic window. You are generally in a state of recovery and repair 24/7.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #1643
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
On the same note as the previous question -

How does your body deal with calories that should've been eaten the day before?

Your body only responds to it's current demands. If you underate yesterday, you will feel more hungry today. It will ration energy and materials based on priorities.

Honestly this is overthinking and none of this matters in the long run. 99% of lifters don't eat the exact same calories per day.

Just try to be consistent and keep the binges and undereatings to a minimum.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #1644
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

BBOD I have heard a couple times now, "Gain weight for a meet." Why would you do this? Don't you want to go down a class if possible?
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #1645
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
BBOD I have heard a couple times now, "Gain weight for a meet." Why would you do this? Don't you want to go down a class if possible?
Weight gain should be slow and steady, and done during the off-season. Extra food will help with strength. Eating a ton of food the last 4 weeks before a meet is a bit misguided. If you're going to gain, make a plan and gain slowly so you can milk the strength gains.

Desperate measures usually aren't worth it.

I might suggest making extra sure you are eating enough going into a meet.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #1646
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Weight gain should be slow and steady, and done during the off-season. Extra food will help with strength. Eating a ton of food the last 4 weeks before a meet is a bit misguided. If you're going to gain, make a plan and gain slowly so you can milk the strength gains.

Desperate measures usually aren't worth it.

I might suggest making extra sure you are eating enough going into a meet.
Thanks for the knowledge as always.
fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #1647
djg08
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

djg08 is new to the forumdjg08 is new to the forum

BBOD! I have a couple questions for you regarding routines, but wanted to give some background first.

I've been training on and off for about 3 years, took some extended breaks but I finally got my act together in terms of diet and nutrition. I started again in January, began with a cut while on a split, but am currently bulking. I am primarily concerned with aesthetics/gaining size and not really functional strength.

My current weight/stats/routine is the following:

5"10
13% BF

290x6 DL
185x7 Bench
225x6 Squat

5 Day Split
High Volume
Begin workout with one compound power movement increasing load every week.

Rough walkthrough:

Day 1: Chest/Tris/Abs
3x 6-8 BB Flat Bench
3x 10-12 BB Incline Bench
3x 10-12 Bodyweight Dips
3x 10-12 Incline Cable Flies
3x 10-12 Cable Crossovers
4x 6-8 Rope Pulldown
4x 10-12 Overhead extension

Day 2: Back/Bis
3x 6-8 DL
3x 10-12 Weighted Pullups
3x 10-12 DB Rows
3x 10-12 Pullovers
3x 10-12 Seated Cable V-Bar Rows

Day 3: Legs
3x 6-8 Squat
3x 10-12 Weighted Walking Lunges (Deep)
3x Leg Extensions
3x Lying Leg Curls
3x Romanian DL
6x Calf Raises

Day 4: Shoulders
3x 6-8 Seated BB Overhead Press
3x 10-12 Behind Neck Press
3x Side Laterals
3x Upright Rows
3x Shrugs

Day 5: OFF

After day 5, I repeat

Anyways, I've always done a split but recently watched your video concerning 48 hour protein synthesis and was considering switching to full body routines. However, I have seen great progress so far with my current routine and actually enjoy being in the gym for 1 to 1.5 hours a day. I truly love getting great pumps and feeling DOMS in the following days.

I am wondering what your thoughts are as to whether or not I should convert to a full body workout. And if so, do you have any routines you could suggest?

Thanks a lot, love your youtube vids.

Last edited by djg08; 06-12-2014 at 07:17 PM.
djg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #1648
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg08 View Post
BBOD! I have a couple questions for you regarding routines, but wanted to give some background first.

I've been training on and off for about 3 years, took some extended breaks but I finally got my act together in terms of diet and nutrition. I started again in January, began with a cut while on a split, but am currently bulking. I am primarily concerned with aesthetics/gaining size and not really functional strength.

Excellent. No matter the plan, do your best to stay consistent with the iron, and to try and get stronger. That is magic.

Quote:
However, I have seen great progress so far with my current routine and actually enjoy being in the gym for 1 to 1.5 hours a day. I truly love getting great pumps and feeling DOMS in the following days.
I wouldn't change a thing then. Optimal on paper can never factor in personal drive and motivation. Never change things that aren't broken.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #1649
Teufelhund_OR
New Brawn
Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17 Points: 1,012, Level: 17
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Teufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality postsTeufelhund_OR has made some quality posts
Default CNS burn out

I have put squats back into my training as I noticed that I was not getting the same results without them..

Question...

The other day I did bent rows and deads... was a great work out and the next day I was pumped and felt thick, I liked the results..

BUT... I felt wiped out for 2 days afterwards...

Is there any way to lessen CNS burn out or recover faster? or train to recover faster..

I am 44 so I do not expect to bounce back the next day, but damn I was tired..

thanks as always..
Teufelhund_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #1650
LindenGarcia18
Max Brawn
Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61 Points: 8,417, Level: 61
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: One arm dumbbell rows.
LindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beastLindenGarcia18 is a lifting beast

Hi Steve. I have a question about cheat meals.

I was just wondering how often, and how many calories roughly one should be?
I know you told me before that it would be over my normal diet in terms of calories.

Appreciate your time.

- Linden
LindenGarcia18 is online now   Reply With Quote