Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #1361
LunarWolf09
New Brawn
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 1.5
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
LunarWolf09 is new to the forumLunarWolf09 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Welcome to the forum Lunar.

What are your primary goals? Strength, muscle or both?
I want to train to compete in powerlifting short-term (within next 5-10 years) followed by taking on strongman. Primarily I want to get strong but I have been told you need to put on mass for strongman as well but dont know much about strongman apart from as a spectator. Forgot to mention I am only 5 foot 8
LunarWolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #1362
13thWraith
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Supp: Creatine & Beta-Alanine
13thWraith is new to the forum13thWraith is new to the forum

Hello guys! I was wandering if some of you might help me out with your knowledge of this wonderful sport... I am not a powerful guy by any standards [I've been only training properly for 1 year having started from scratch after a lower back injury], however I've noticed that my deadlift isn't progressing as it should when compared to my other lifts. [my lower back is perfectly fine now] My SQ, Bench, BB row, OHP are going up nicely at a steady pace [about 5lbs/week], but it seems that my deadlift is stuck and I can't get it to go up for the last 4 weeks without sacrificing form...

I've been in and out the gym for the last 6 years having played volleyball in high-school and University. I am 6'2'' [190cm], 180lbs [82kg] and around 10% bodyfat. I am using an altered version of ICF5x5 that suits my needs and it looks like this:

Workout A: SQ 5x5, Regular DL 1x5 [4x3 Warmup Sets], Pause BP 5x5, BB Row 5x5, Pullups 3xfail, Hanging Leg Raises 3xfail
Workout B: Military Press 5x5, OH Triceps Extension 4x8, Incline Bi Curls, 3x10, Facepulls 5x10, Weighted Dips 4x8, Weighted Crunches 3x10
Workout C: SQ 5x5, Incline Pause BP 4x8, DB Row 4x8, Romanian DL 4x8, Flyes 4x8, Pullups 3xfail, Hanging Leg Raises 3xfail
The program looks like this A-B-A[remove DL>replace with heavy BB shrugs after BB Row]-B-C[Weekend off] REPEAT. I use the progressive overload method and am able to get a 5lbs increase on all of my big compounds each week except the DL. I also reset the weight on those lifts whenever I completely stall for 2 weeks [which has never happened except, again, on the DL].

Any advice would help me greatly! It's becoming counter productive on my mindset not being able to pull more plates... It's frustrating and it messes with my entire DL workout... Comments and critiques are always welcome!
Thank you in advance!
13thWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #1363
rambo2245
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

Training Exp: almost 4 years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Bench press
Fav Supp: creatine , venison,whey
rambo2245 is off to a bad start
Default Gaining muscle and slower gains

Hello I am a big fans of your videos and I have some questions for you! I am 19 years old just like you im a powerlifter / bodybuilder I have been lifting for 3 to almost 4 years my concern is last febuary i did 300lbs now this febuary i put up 345 and I want to bench 405 i weigh 230 i take creatine and i can bench 305 for 5 315 for 3 and 345 for 1 but its been 127 days and ive only gone up in bench 10lbs and ive stayed at about 230 do i need to put on a lot more weight to get to 405 or ? thank you for your time I know im not on a platue but some people say you should take a week off from training if you havent in a while and i havent since the summer
rambo2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #1364
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmanscoop View Post
Do you recommend this programme for someone who's been lifting for a year? Or would you recommend something else been told full body workout can be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have yet to build any appreciable amount of muscle mass, then I would probably run a full body or upper/lower split for 6 months first.

If you are currently building muscle then this would be a good program to try. "Better" is usually only a matter of fractional differences if you are progressing in weight, eating properly and remaining consistent.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #1365
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarWolf09 View Post
I want to train to compete in powerlifting short-term (within next 5-10 years) followed by taking on strongman. Primarily I want to get strong but I have been told you need to put on mass for strongman as well but dont know much about strongman apart from as a spectator. Forgot to mention I am only 5 foot 8
If you are interested in powerlifting I would compete within 6 months. You are strong and should go give it a try.

Personally I like your 531 modification idea. With good assistance work I think that will serve you well.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #1366
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thWraith View Post
Hello guys! I was wandering if some of you might help me out with your knowledge of this wonderful sport...
Glad to help.

Quote:
however I've noticed that my deadlift isn't progressing as it should when compared to my other lifts.
What weight, sets and reps are you currently using, and what was it when you started deadlifting?

I know you use:

Regular DL 1x5 [4x3 Warmup Sets]

Please detail one complete deadlifting session with warmups so I can take a look.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #1367
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo2245 View Post
Hello I am a big fans of your videos and I have some questions for you! I am 19 years old just like you im a powerlifter / bodybuilder I have been lifting for 3 to almost 4 years my concern is last febuary i did 300lbs now this febuary i put up 345 and I want to bench 405 i weigh 230 i take creatine and i can bench 305 for 5 315 for 3 and 345 for 1 but its been 127 days and ive only gone up in bench 10lbs and ive stayed at about 230 do i need to put on a lot more weight to get to 405 or ? thank you for your time I know im not on a platue but some people say you should take a week off from training if you havent in a while and i havent since the summer
Thanks Rambo.

Right now you have 2 choices:

1) Fight for pounds a year at your current bodyweight.

2) Eat more (slowly), maybe gaining 10-15 pounds a year and trying to bump your bench 10 pounds a year.

345 is a pretty strong bench for a natural lifter. You've hit a natural plateau where things will never move fast again, no matter what you do, even if you add a lot of body weight.

Right now I don't recommend gaining much weight. I would get on a bench program that allows you to train twice a week and simply understand that you will be fighting for pounds and ounces the rest of your life.

Not many guys get a 400 pound bench at 230 pounds. National records at that weight are slightly over 400, for the most part. Set a goal to add 10-15 pounds to your bench a year and see what happens!

This is merely one type of program you could try to run for 6-12 months.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/5x3-bench-...rkout-routine/

Old 02-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #1368
ThuleanWerewolf
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1

ThuleanWerewolf has made some quality postsThuleanWerewolf has made some quality postsThuleanWerewolf has made some quality postsThuleanWerewolf has made some quality postsThuleanWerewolf has made some quality postsThuleanWerewolf has made some quality posts
Default About shrugs and traps

Oh hail, you hairy ugly dude!

I have trouble with shrugs... and my traps. One might be causing the other, no idea really.
But I want to do power shrugs. When I do, I use a higher weight than my deadlift... sometimes 100 pounds more. My problem is that I can't seem to connect with my traps. I just don't feel it in the traps. Using too little weight or too much? My personal thought is that I am to weak in my traps to get an effective squeeze at the top. But I have no real clue as I said before.
Please, ask me if you need me to give more info. I gladly do.
Thanks in advance.

Werewolf, the Howler of the dungeon gym.
ThuleanWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #1369
Nephilim
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Exp: 1 year in powerlifting
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Power Cleans
Fav Supp: Whole Eggs
Nephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality postsNephilim has made some quality posts

Does the dip load the pectoral in a similar fashion as the bench press? Especially if you progressively load it by hanging plates from a chain around your waist. Can you replace the bench press with the dip when trying to complete a full body workout with little time to do it? Also can you effectively load the biceps by doing chins/or underhand barbell rows, or should the barbell curl be left in a program to most effectively work that muscle pair?

I am trying to develop a very time efficient full body, 3 days per week program for strength using compound lifts. Deads, Squats, Cleans and press are the core so far, I'm trying to figure out how to efficiently work the rest of my body to become as strong as possible and without wasting time by fooling around with needless lifts.
Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #1370
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThuleanWerewolf View Post
Oh hail, you hairy ugly dude!

I have trouble with shrugs... and my traps. One might be causing the other, no idea really.
But I want to do power shrugs. When I do, I use a higher weight than my deadlift... sometimes 100 pounds more. My problem is that I can't seem to connect with my traps. I just don't feel it in the traps. Using too little weight or too much? My personal thought is that I am to weak in my traps to get an effective squeeze at the top. But I have no real clue as I said before.
Please, ask me if you need me to give more info. I gladly do.
Thanks in advance.

Werewolf, the Howler of the dungeon gym.
Hi Wolf,

You don't need to connect with your traps. Weight builds muscle and strength. Just get your reps in, progress and you'll build.

Progression is key. You don't need to feel muscles for them to grow and get stronger.

Whatever weight you use, try to improve each workout.