Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #1321
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdaxLifts View Post
Hey BBOD,

First-time poster here, but I've been following your YouTube channel for a while now (great stuff!). I finally have a question worth asking you...

I've been following your "Strength and Bulk Beginner Workout" (on Muscle and Strength) and am having pretty good success with it. However, in about a month's time I am going to start cutting rather than bulking. When that time comes, should I attempt to continue on this routine in some way, or do you recommend another switching to another routine?
Glad to help. Keep training the same way. In my opinion the worst time to change programs is when you are switching to a cutting diet. Keep the status quo and give your body a reason to hold onto muscle.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 01:55 AM   #1322
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmarauder View Post
Steve

Big fan of the YouTube Channel. I've been following your Long Cycle Beginner program for a week or two now. I work out at home, so I am unable to do leg curls. Is it okay to substitute these with a RDL? I'm just conscious that I'd be dead lifting three times a week.

Cheers

T
Absolutely. RDLs are a solid choice.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #1323
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyguy View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
What kind of routine would you recommend?
With cardio, is HIIT or LISS more effective in your opinion?
The difference is rather trivial. HIIT appears to be more optimal, but if you look at just how much of an impact this "optimization" will have over the course of a year, it won't be much.

My advice is to do the form of cardio you enjoy the most.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #1324
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Hey BTB, I've got a question about alternating exercises.

I want to build up my tricep strength and I know skull crushers & close-grip bench are the two best ones.

I enjoy doing both but I dont know the best way to go about alternating them since I only do 5 exercises per workout.
------------------------------
Example: Workout (A)

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Tricep Exercise
Good Mornings
------------------------------

What do you suggest?
I alternated exercises a lot over the years. I kept things simple and alternated every other workout. I think this is the best way to go.

Workout (A) #1

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Skullcrushers
Good Mornings

Workout (A) #2

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Close Grips
Good Mornings

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 AM   #1325
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonb26189 View Post
Hi Steve i need to pick your brains once again!

I have been watching videos from bios3training on youtube and have only recently figured out what he means by "high intensity" training since he recommended watching Mike Mentzers heavy duty training DVD, which if you dont know he only advocates 1 set only per muscle group but that one set you have to first pre-exaust the target muscle and then during that one set you have to go to positive failure, static failure and negative failure, so basically completely obliterate the muscle fibers with 100% effort and this is called training with 'high intensity' apparently... So basically, LOW total volume, short workouts but MAXIMUM possible intensity on every set. He claims that this training style will put on MUCH more muscle (and alot faster) than a typical training style, combined with progressive overload (as you would expect)

Now After watching his dvd i got curious and i wanna try this out for myself, my question to you is do you thing its a legit training philosophy (not taking injury risk factor into account, just solely amount of muscle gained), or do you think its a load of shit for roid heads to do and it doesnt matter which training principle you use, as long as you are using progressive overload, will the overall amount of muscle you build be the same either way?

Simon
It's legit. Really any form of muscle building training is legit if you are using progressive resistance.

It won't put on more muscle than other systems for naturals. How do I know? I interview, talk to and profile 50-100 a year. They all training differently and gain about the same speed.

There are no magic systems. Anyone that tells you this is misguided. The magic comes from progression, solid exercise selection, consistency and enough food to grow.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #1326
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd5p View Post
Hey BBOD,

Thanks for the advice abour the squat form. Today i squatted with 5lb plates nuder my feet and i managed to keep an upright torso with ease. Without the plates however, I was leaning forward.

I'm just wondering if this is a flexibility issue and how I can go about improving my form without the need for plates?

Thank you again for your guidance!
It's likely a form issue. Get a video when you can.

I bet we can make a few simple tweaks and remove the need for the plates. It will become too dangerous after a while to back up and try to set up on plates.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #1327
TooTall90
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Type: Get In Shape
Fav Supp: Protein
TooTall90 is new to the forumTooTall90 is new to the forumTooTall90 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I don't like undereating windows without protein. It's never worked well for me. Science aside, and setting aside the need to stick 100% to the fasting lifestyle, 2-3 whey shakes during the underfeeding isn't going to hurt anything. It can only help.

I would sip one in the morning and maybe one at 11am.
That's awesome thank you so much!
TooTall90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #1328
darkmarauder
New Brawn
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

darkmarauder is new to the forumdarkmarauder is new to the forumdarkmarauder is new to the forum

Thanks for the reply Steve, I'll give RDL's a go!
darkmarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #1329
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I alternated exercises a lot over the years. I kept things simple and alternated every other workout. I think this is the best way to go.

Workout (A) #1

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Skullcrushers
Good Mornings

Workout (A) #2

Squat
Bench
Barbell Row
Close Grips
Good Mornings
Thanks for the advice BTB! Alternating every other workout is gonna be fun. Changing things up like that keeps me from getting bored.

Last edited by CaseyB1987; 01-24-2014 at 08:29 AM.
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #1330
JdaxLifts
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JdaxLifts is new to the forumJdaxLifts is new to the forum

Quote:
Glad to help. Keep training the same way. In my opinion the worst time to change programs is when you are switching to a cutting diet. Keep the status quo and give your body a reason to hold onto muscle.
Thanks, Steve. Will do!
JdaxLifts is offline   Reply With Quote