Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #1291
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andew101 View Post
My shoulders are my weak point. Any advice i could through into my phul 4 day split? And do you know any stimulant free pre workouts?
You could just take creatine and beta-alanine pre-workout. That's my best advice.

PHUL is very shoulder light in my opinion. There is only 5-7 sets for shoulders. I would dump the laterals and use either a seated overhead dumbbell press or seated Arnold press.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #1292
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTall90 View Post
Thanks great thanks so much for your help!

I guess I should rephrase, not necessarily interested in loosing weight, but am very interested in losing body fat!

I am taking fish oil as suggested.

I guess what I was also trying to ask was, on my training days I drink a whey isolate shake straight after my workout. On my non training days when I don't go to the gym, shall I have my shake mid day during my under-eating period, or wait until my over-eating period and have the shake then? I don't really know when the optimal time to drink protein shakes is on non training days.

Many thanks again.
I don't like undereating windows without protein. It's never worked well for me. Science aside, and setting aside the need to stick 100% to the fasting lifestyle, 2-3 whey shakes during the underfeeding isn't going to hurt anything. It can only help.

I would sip one in the morning and maybe one at 11am.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #1293
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodlc View Post
Hey BBOD

i was thinking about giving the doug's ectomorph routine on muscleandstrengh a try, im not an ectomorph per se but it says its beneficial for anyone to build mass

but i noticed it doesn't include deadlifts on back day, so do you think it would be better to replace it for any of those mentioned? and if so, what would be an adequate set and rep range?

also, what minor change could i do to put additional emphasis on arms?

Thank you

It's ok to run that routine. Body types are mixed anyway. As long as you are training for progression you will make good gains.

As far as deadlifts, I would dump cable rows and do deadlifts first. I would do max a 3 sets x 5 reps.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #1294
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodt12 View Post
BBOD,
About a year ago I had an unfortunate incident, non lifting related, that resulted in a hip pointer injury. I took some time off and also went to physio, and after a few weeks I felt good enough to try some lower body work.
I back cycled my weights on the squat and dead to almost nothing, and while squatting to parallel I was able to handle fine, I found fairly considerable pain in the hip pulling from the floor.
I decided I was determined to pull weight so I got in my rack and found at what height I could pull from pain free, and found it to be a few inches above the knees. I continued to rack pull and have added some good weight to it (for me), but it is essentially the top half of the deadlift.
My question is two part:
A) it makes sense to me that if I were to start pulling from the floor again, I would obviously start light and focus on perfecting technique, but keep training the rack pulls as well so as not to lose any progress or adaptation I've made. Am I correct in this? And
B) in your honest opinion, is the risk/reward factor associated with conventional dead lifting worth it for a purely recreational lifter, or could a guy get by with squats and heavy rack pulls?
Sorry for the long post, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated
A) I would rotate. I would recommend a simple 2 week cycle for the next 8 weeks:

Week one - 3-5 inch low rack pulls
Week two - high rack pull and power shrug combo

See how this goes, and if all is well after 8 weeks rotate floor pulls back in.

B) For a recreational lifter rack pulls are fine. I do prefer the rack pull and power shrug combo, and I would like to eventually see the rack pulls below the knee. I think this is a dynamic and effective combination.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #1295
jrodt12
Brawn
Points: 911, Level: 16 Points: 911, Level: 16 Points: 911, Level: 16
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 1
Fav Exercise: Bicep curls... Obviously
Fav Supp: Meat
jrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good postsjrodt12 has made some good posts

BBOD,

Thank you very much for the response, especially on an effective way of programming the lifts. Much appreciated!
jrodt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1296
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodt12 View Post
BBOD,

Thank you very much for the response, especially on an effective way of programming the lifts. Much appreciated!
My pleasure!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #1297
dd5p
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

dd5p is new to the forumdd5p is new to the forumdd5p is new to the forum

Hey BBOD,

I have a question about my squat form. I'm about 6'1 and struggle to keep an upright torso when squatting. I'm a beginner and have only been training for a month or two. I try to keep my upper back tight and am wondering what I can do to prevent my torso from leaning forward. My stance is probably inbetween narrow and wide with my toes pointed outwards. Also, I'm wondering if this is a hip or ankle mobility issue and what can be done to resolve it? I'll post a video soon but is there anything you could suggest based on this post to help improve my form?

Cheers!
dd5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #1298
ifiwereaspoon
In Training...
New Brawn
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%

Training Exp: Always learning
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Chest & Shoulders
Fav Supp: ON Whey
ifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality postsifiwereaspoon has made some quality posts

Hey BBOD,

As I am focusing on cutting body fat at the moment do you think it is a good idea to keep up my protein intake or should I wait until I've achieved my fat loss goals?

At the moment I am talking Whey after weight training and I have just started taking Casein before bed and sometimes in between meals to fill me up.

Also, do you think it would be worth taking protein after hard cardio or cross training sessions like a boxing circuit or is that going overboard with the protein?

Cheers
ifiwereaspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:21 AM   #1299
Eddy1987
New Brawn
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Eddy1987 is new to the forumEddy1987 is new to the forum

Hi Steve, any feedback on my deadlift & squat form?

Your advice, as always, is much appreciated. Thanks!
Eddy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #1300
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd5p View Post
Hey BBOD,

I have a question about my squat form. I'm about 6'1 and struggle to keep an upright torso when squatting. I'm a beginner and have only been training for a month or two. I try to keep my upper back tight and am wondering what I can do to prevent my torso from leaning forward. My stance is probably inbetween narrow and wide with my toes pointed outwards. Also, I'm wondering if this is a hip or ankle mobility issue and what can be done to resolve it? I'll post a video soon but is there anything you could suggest based on this post to help improve my form?

Cheers!
Usually a major factor is knees. If they are kept natural it can tie up a squatter's depth and get them forward.

I would also suggest trying to bing your squat stance in a bit and see if that helps.