Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #111
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

More Bud...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #112
Swedish_hulk
New Brawn
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Swedish_hulk is off to a bad start

Hi Steve! I'm currently doing a fullbody workout program 3x a week and i was wondering if you got any tip what i can do on my off days that will help my progress in the gym, but without taxing my cns or my recovery. I usually walk on the treadmill to warmup my joints then stretch and once in a while i work on my form with very light weight.
Swedish_hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #113
SaxonViolence
Brawn
Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19 Points: 1,222, Level: 19

SaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributorSaxonViolence is a dedicated contributor
Cool

Thanks!

I'm a bit out of the current "loop" and I hadn't heard of Bud Jeffries or the Hip Belt for Straddle Lifts.

I did remember one other Question that I'd meant to ask:

What do you think of Heavy (3 Repetition) Snatch-Grip Deadlifts from a 4" Platform?

I never heard of them until a few weeks ago.

Elliot Hulse says it is the Best Single Mass-Building Exercise of all time.

I tend to seriously downgrade such claims, but a little "Googling" Convinced me that several experts really swear by them.

O Yeah,

I always did all my training wearing Army Leg Boots (as opposed to Army Jump Boots).

{Except for Deadlifts}

I liked the support and the modest heel helped my Squat Balance.

Nowadays everyone seems to be using "Chuck Taylors"

{How does a relatively Obscure Combat Pistol Writer from a Generation ago, get a Gym Shoe named after him?}

The US Army doesn't even use the old Leg Boots anymore.

{Though I suppose the Army Surplus Stores might still have them.}

Never mind.

I have a Nice Pair of Wolverine Work Boots from my next-to-last job.

The steel toes might not Help, but they shouldn't hurt...

But what are your thought Vis-a-Vis Heavy-Duty Leather Vs "Gym Shoes"?

Saxon Violence
SaxonViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #114
fenrisulfr
Peanut Butter Member
Max Brawn
Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68 Points: 10,634, Level: 68
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Supp: Chicken breast
fenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite memberfenrisulfr is an elite member

Could you name a few of your favorite or best assistance exercises for after each of the 4 main lifts.

What do more, Barbell row or kroc row?

Appreciate the thread.
fenrisulfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #115
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrisulfr View Post
Could you name a few of your favorite or best assistance exercises for after each of the 4 main lifts.

What do more, Barbell row or kroc row?

Appreciate the thread.
To be honest, I am not a fan of assistance work. I am more of a "get everything as strong as possible" type of guy. Some would call this semantics, but I think there are subtle differences.

I want guys to focus on progress on the primary lifts. I see no point in doing fancy variations like face pulls, for example, when a lifter is rowing 80 pound dumbbells. I think they need to focus on getting those rows up to 150-180x10 reps before they worry about the minor areas.

When it comes to work, I personally like alternating lifts...doing barbell rows one week, dumbbells the next. Perhaps close grips one week, Rippetoe lying extensions the next.

I like variation because it is not only good mentally, but you also aren't constantly hitting the joints with the exact same cloned movement pattern every workout.

This is how I build the base of my strength and it worked well.

I like dumbbell press, close grip benches, rows, pullups, chinups, seated cable and T-bar rows, all overhead press variations, SLDLs and RDLs, power cleans and high pulls, power shrugs, rack pulls, etc.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #116
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish_hulk View Post
Hi Steve! I'm currently doing a fullbody workout program 3x a week and i was wondering if you got any tip what i can do on my off days that will help my progress in the gym, but without taxing my cns or my recovery. I usually walk on the treadmill to warmup my joints then stretch and once in a while i work on my form with very light weight.
Rest and eat

I used to play basketball, golf and ping pong. As long as I was eating a lot and resting, I could do pretty much anything on off days. Not sure it helped what I did in the gym, but it allowed me to stay at a high level of conditioning so I could handle my workouts better.

My advice is always...do something fun. Do what you enjoy. Don't overthink things. It's not needed and zaps the energy out of life.

Get strong, be patient, enjoy the ride. Gains will come.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #117
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxonViolence View Post

What do you think of Heavy (3 Repetition) Snatch-Grip Deadlifts from a 4" Platform?
I think any form of low rack deadlifts are a good choice. I find them to be less taxing than heavy floor pulls, meaning you can get a decent reward and use them more frequently if desired.

Quote:
Elliot Hulse says it is the Best Single Mass-Building Exercise of all time.
I respect him, and like his advice, but I am still a squat and deadlift guy. Those 2 exercises have built all kinds of muscle.

I'm sure it's very potent. I'm just not sold on the overall impact on the lower back over time. the wider your hand spacing, the lower you are pulled to the floor. This makes the lift more of a lower back movement.

Therefore, I would be hesitant to advocate it to lifters who do not already have good deadlift mechanics.

Quote:
But what are your thought Vis-a-Vis Heavy-Duty Leather Vs "Gym Shoes"?
On deadlifts you want a flat show, and to be as low to the ground as possible. On squats, even a small heal can tip you forward a bit. Some guys can get away with this more than others, so it's really up to what feels right.

I like flat foot squatting. I believe it helps me to stay more upright.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #118
tayjeremy
Brawn
Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6 Points: 306, Level: 6
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Fav Exercise: DEADLIFTS
Fav Supp: Creatine
tayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good starttayjeremy is off to a good start

Hey Bearded Beast,

do you stretch? How often and when?

Do you foam roll or do any Myofascial release? How, how often and when?

Thanks Beast!
tayjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #119
Swedish_hulk
New Brawn
Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1 Points: 85, Level: 1

Swedish_hulk is off to a bad start

Hi Steve! I filmed my Squats from some new angles so you can se it better i hope you don't mind criticising my form again. The thing is that when i use lighter weights i feel nothing in my quads but when i go heavier i can barely hit parallel but i feel it a lot more in the quards. Training log... - YouTube
Swedish_hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #120
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayjeremy View Post
Hey Bearded Beast,

do you stretch? How often and when?

Do you foam roll or do any Myofascial release? How, how often and when?

Thanks Beast!
No. I am in such a good groove right now, healthy, injury free, and rolling with my training that I find no urgent need to add anything.

I once stretched religiously in between sets. I believe it has value. I did this for 20 years, and during my time as a runner. If i were to di ti these days I would do 5 minutes of slow walking to get my body temperature up first, then stretch and roll.