Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #1171
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kian19870 View Post
I have a question for you regarding my squat.
Just know that squats are almost always weaker than deadlifts.

Quote:
no matter what I do it does'nt seem to go up. Iv been training seriously for powerlifting for about a year and a half now and am closing im on a 441lbs deadlift yet my squat max is only 275!
Can you post where your squat numbers were exactly one year ago today. Find an old training log. I like to look at exact numbers.

Quote:
My technique isnt perfect, but not terrible either,
Post a video if you can, maybe I can point out a few things.

Quote:

Im eating well,

Thanks dude
What is your current height, weight and age? And where was your weight exactly one year ago?

And tell me how many calories and grams of protein you intake minimum each day.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #1172
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
I have gained a decent amount of weight. I have gained around 17 pounds in two to 3 months due to eating above maintenance. 6 months ago my squat was at 220lbs x 5 without a belt and now it's at 285 x 5 with a belt. I was using too much volume hence the slow progress. I will put the feed bag on , BTB. I've watched your videos many times so I think I know what the score is on that. Any advice is appreciated and I will adhere to whatever you say. Obviously a lot of the weight is from water and some fat.
You are doing good with the eating. I don't want you to get fat, and it's not needed.

I would like to see you on a plan that focuses adding one rep at a time right now. This will give you direct control, and you will be able to see tangible progress.

There is a plan I advocate that starts with 5 sets x 1 rep.

You try to slowly work it up to 5 sets x 3 reps. When you can, you add 5% weight and start the process over. I would like to see you try this along with a second rep day.

The rep day would be 3 sets of squats with the same weight. Your goal is to get 25 reps total for the 3 sets. (not 25 reps per set, 25 total.) When you hit this level, add 5 pounds.

These 2 workouts have you dead nuts focused on progression.

I would do something like:

Monday - 3 sets with the goal of 25 total reps
Friday - 5 sets working towards 3 reps per set.

If you want to try Smolov, let it rip. I don't want to hold you back. But honestly, I think you need to get in a progression groove sooner or later.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #1173
OHDL
Max Brawn
Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42 Points: 4,546, Level: 42
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Skwattzz
Fav Supp: Milk
OHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beastOHDL is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
Ok well first let's look at diet. Because without a minimal foundation, progress will be tough.

Here's what I need:

1) Tell me how you eat each day, if you know how much protein and cals or if you just wing it, and what your weight was 6 months ago, and what it is now.
2) What program you are using now.
3) Exactly what your big 3 lifts were 6 months ago (from your log), and what they are now.
1) Have been winging it a lot lately. I get around 150 gs of protein maybe 2500-2800 cals. I know this isnt optimal but lately ive been finding it harder to eat.

2) Been in and out of madcow 5x5 and my own full body.

3) Then/now
Squat 115 kg x 5/ 122.5 kg x 5 -
Bench 70 kg x 4/80 kg x 3
Dead 145 kg x 3/165 kg x 3 or 180 kg x 1

Man looking at it on paper makes the progress look worse

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."

- Christopher Hitchens

Last edited by OHDL; 12-21-2013 at 02:34 PM.
OHDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #1174
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
You are doing good with the eating. I don't want you to get fat, and it's not needed.

I would like to see you on a plan that focuses adding one rep at a time right now. This will give you direct control, and you will be able to see tangible progress.

There is a plan I advocate that starts with 5 sets x 1 rep.

You try to slowly work it up to 5 sets x 3 reps. When you can, you add 5% weight and start the process over. I would like to see you try this along with a second rep day.

The rep day would be 3 sets of squats with the same weight. Your goal is to get 25 reps total for the 3 sets. (not 25 reps per set, 25 total.) When you hit this level, add 5 pounds.

These 2 workouts have you dead nuts focused on progression.

I would do something like:

Monday - 3 sets with the goal of 25 total reps
Friday - 5 sets working towards 3 reps per set.

If you want to try Smolov, let it rip. I don't want to hold you back. But honestly, I think you need to get in a progression groove sooner or later.
Thanks , BTB. I was thinking of cutting around February so i will use this routine. I like high frequency squatting so i'll do Smolov Base Meso before the cut.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #1175
gorgiebillyboy
New Brawn
Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7 Points: 398, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Fav Exercise: trap bar dead/bench press
gorgiebillyboy is new to the forumgorgiebillyboy is new to the forum

need advice on my eating habits getting way out of control, binge eating, how do I stop this eating habit?
gorgiebillyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #1176
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgiebillyboy View Post
need advice on my eating habits getting way out of control, binge eating, how do I stop this eating habit?
If you are a night binge eater, I strong recommend working with your food habits for starters. Make the switch to intermittent fasting.

Here are some links:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ittent-fasting

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...inner-mistakes

It allows you to eat more at night while helping to stave off weight gain.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #1177
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Hey BBOD, I wanted to ask you a question about curls, specifically EZ Bar curls. Is there a benefit to doing strict curls over preacher curls?

I'm asking because I've noticed in your training log that you do strict curls and not preacher curls.
CaseyB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #1178
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHDL View Post
1) Have been winging it a lot lately. I get around 150 gs of protein maybe 2500-2800 cals. I know this isnt optimal but lately ive been finding it harder to eat.

3) Then/now
Squat 115 kg x 5/ 122.5 kg x 5 -
Bench 70 kg x 4/80 kg x 3
Dead 145 kg x 3/165 kg x 3 or 180 kg x 1

Man looking at it on paper makes the progress look worse

In 6 months you've:

-- Bench Press from 154lbs to 176lbs. 22 pound gain in 6 months
-- Squat from 253lbs to 270lbs. 17 pound gain in 6 months
-- Deadlift from 319lbs to 363lbs. 44 pound gain in 6 months

This is an 83 pound total in 8 months, or a rate of 166 per year. That's actually decent progress for the little amount of food you're eating.

Quote:
Have been winging it a lot lately. I get around 150 gs of protein maybe 2500-2800 cals. I know this isnt optimal but lately ive been finding it harder to eat.
Time to take this seriously. Food is extremely important. You have to set minimums if you want better progress.

--200 grams of protein minimum.
--3000 cals minimum.

Watch the scale. You may need to bump that calorie minimum up if you're not gaining 1-2 pounds per month.

Quote:
Try training every single body part from head to toe, and focusing on getting it crazy strong...from back to calves. I would love to see you do this in 2014. Do your main lifts and them get some progressive overload in for all major and minor bodyparts.

To improve strength you will need a strong base.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #1179
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Hey BBOD, I wanted to ask you a question about curls, specifically EZ Bar curls. Is there a benefit to doing strict curls over preacher curls?

I'm asking because I've noticed in your training log that you do strict curls and not preacher curls.
Strict barbell curls kill my elbows and wrists because I am not allowing the natural supination movement that the bicep is built for.

I do strict EZ bar curls to take the pressure off.

I generally recommend a dumbbell curl, standing or seated, and a preacher EZ bar curl or standing curl. Your standing curl can be straight bar if you prefer, but I would try both EZ and straight to see if one feels more natural.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #1180
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Strict barbell curls kill my elbows and wrists because I am not allowing the natural supination movement that the bicep is built for.

I do strict EZ bar curls to take the pressure off.

I generally recommend a dumbbell curl, standing or seated, and a preacher EZ bar curl or standing curl. Your standing curl can be straight bar if you prefer, but I would try both EZ and straight to see if one feels more natural.
Thanks for the info. I don't like using a straight bar for curls, it kill's my wrists, but the EZ bar is great. I just wondered if it was better to do curls seated or standing.

I guess it doesn't really matter that much, more personal preference than anything.

I actually prefer standing.
CaseyB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote