Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #1091
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoschaGER View Post
Hey Bearded One,
first i want to thank you for answering my question so fast.
Glad to help. Would have been faster but I was lifting.

Quote:
Workout plan:

A)
1. Warm Up + Crunch
2. Squat
3. Bench Press
4. Chin Ups
5. Biceps Curl
6. Grip Work
7. Neck *1

B)
1. Warm Up + Crunch
2. Military Press
3. Partial stiff leg Deadlift
4. Parallel Bar Dip
5. Lateral Raise
6. L-Fly
7. Calve raise
8. Grip Work
Solid program. Thumbs up.

Quote:
Thanks to you and Stuart McRobert I'm finally progressing again, after over a year of just pushing weights ( for example not eating enough ).
That made my day, thank you.

Quote:
1. Now, after watching your videos on Protein Synthesis and Full Body Workouts, I was wondering if you think my other major lifts would benefit from a higher frequency as well, or if I should accept this gaining momentum and be happy with it since I've not made big gains in the past 1.5 years.
I have a rule...if it's working, don't change anything. You are learning a lot about what is working for you, so instead of making any big changes, monitor progress and make minor adjustments as needed.

By doing this you are evolving your own system instead of jumping intro something else that might work.

If you ever decide to try frequency, I would try benching and squatting twice a week, and keeping deadlifts and overhead press to once a week. This would be a good place to start.

Quote:
2. I'm also thinking about reducing exercise volume and adding a third workout per week, because after I've finished my major lifts, I'm usually already pretty exhausted. What scheme would you recommend? Maybe putting all the assistance exercises into one workout without big hitters?
I would consider:

Monday - Heavy day
Wednesday - Light day (lighter assistance)
Friday - Moderate or Heavy day

Quote:
3. I find it hard to monitor progress on the Chin Ups, because of the long way of motion and the related discrepancies in time under tension, is the Dumbbell Row going to be as effective as the Chin Up? ( I would keep the Biceps Curl. If I stick to the Chin Up, I will maybe drop it, since my Biceps gets a hard workout already )
I would prefer you do rows and pull ups, and drop the chin ups. These are the cornerstones of a rock solid back approach.

Quote:
4. In your video on Protein Synthesis, you state that a muscle is ready to be hit again after about 48 hours. In my case, after 48 hours of a workout my local soreness just hits its peak ( espeacially the lower body ). Whats your opinion on that? Wouldnt it be dangerous to train hard again, if my connective tissue has not recovered yet?
No, it's not dangerous. The only caveat would be if your muscles are extremely sore. Then I would rest more between sessions.

Some soreness is normal. I would use a heat balm and do 5 minutes of some form of moving around, like jump ropes, to warm up the body.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #1092
connormw1
New Brawn
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

connormw1 is new to the forumconnormw1 is new to the forum

I appreciate it.

Last edited by BendtheBar; 11-15-2013 at 01:27 AM.
connormw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #1093
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connormw1 View Post
I appreciate it.

The video is set to private. I can't view it.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #1094
connormw1
New Brawn
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

connormw1 is new to the forumconnormw1 is new to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The video is set to private. I can't view it.
My bad. I am fairly certain it's fixed.
connormw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #1095
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by connormw1 View Post
I appreciate it.

Overall it looks pretty good. My main 2 suggestions are to concentrate on driving your head up from the hole, or standing up, instead of pulling, and to lift and reset your hips after every rep. Raise them quickly and sink them until you feel in a good leverage point.

This is a good practice because it helps weed out inconsistent hip heights that happen during rep sets, and it gives you practice feeling out optimal leverage.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #1096
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor
Default The Pump! And... why should I care?

Beast and Community,

I've been doing a lot of research lately on supplements. Now... I have a couple pairs of oldschool Reeboks with pump technology because I'm a sneakerhead, and my wife has some shoes she calls pumps (but after a lifetime experience living among females I still have no idea why they're called that).

So what's with the supplements that give you a pump? The only thing I've been able to get from reading about them is that they inflate your muscles with blood during a workout, which hypothetically gets you all hype to want to work out more after you see yourself in the mirror. It seems like it's the same mechanism as an erection; it's really cool and you can work with it but then everything goes back to being the same as before...

In all seriousness though, have you (or anyone on this forum) used or are you using such products? If so, what do these products really help you do in the end? For me personally, if all they do is make you bigger for a few minutes, I wouldn't spend my money on that even if I had it...

Any thoughts?
BobbyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #1097
TDawg75
Team Koolaid Man
Max Brawn
Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36 Points: 3,495, Level: 36

Training Exp: since 5/15/13
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: buffet plate carry
Fav Supp: Protein Powder
TDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machineTDawg75 is a lifting machine

Hey, Steve! I have another question for ya. But first, I have added in the cardio that I previously asked you about. I just haven't been able to add it in after my workouts yet due to time limitations. It may take a while for me to get up to the 20-30 minutes you recommended, though. This cardio crap SUCKS!

My next question involves chest. On a typical chest day I will do my warmups on flat bench, then 5x5 on flat bench. I follow that up with one warmup set on incline bench and then 5x5 on that as well. I sometimes end the chest portion of my workout with some machine presses for 3-5 sets of 8 reps, but I don't think I really get any real strength benefit from this.

My question is, do you think the incline presses are a good follow up to my bench sets or should I be doing something else? (I already do CGBP for my tris). Heavy DB work poses a problem. Our biggest DB's are only 95 pounders, and I cannot set down heavy db from a lying position without feeling like I am doing shoulder damage. My gym has a bare concrete floor so we aren't allowed to drop them after our sets.

I have been making good progress with my bench press but it seems to me like maybe there could be a better exercise than the incline presses. As always, thanks for your time and opinion.

Gym pr's- bench 330, DL 405, squat 450
Meet pr's- bench 350, dl 425, squat tbd
My new training log- http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17510
TDawg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #1098
MadMonk
Brawn
Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16 Points: 944, Level: 16

Training Type: None
MadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributorMadMonk is a consistent contributor

Hello Bearded one,
I'm thinking about adding power shrugs into my routine, currently doing the 4 day PMB, just wondered what day is best? I was thinking deadlift/back day but also wondered what kind of reps I should aim for, thought going really heavy with them might be an issue after doing heavy Deadlifts.
And to be even more of a nuisance, can you point me in the direction of a video showing how they are done properly? iv had a look on the forum but most of the videos either don't play or have been removed.
Thank you.
MadMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #1099
Veltor
New Brawn
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13

Training Exp: 10 months
Fav Supp: Food
Veltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality postsVeltor has made some quality posts

Hi BBOD, I have a question!!

Should I mantain my calories the same at the training days and the off days??

I know that this is more a preference and some people reduce them but I would like know your opinion on this topic.

Another questions from the first would be if I want to reduce the calories at off days, what should be? carbs and fats? only carbs? and how can calculate the reduction?

Thank u BBOD!!!
Veltor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #1100
JohnKFriday
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JohnKFriday is new to the forumJohnKFriday is new to the forumJohnKFriday is new to the forum

Hey Bearded Beast,

Thanks for the great vids and the pages and pages of free advice. Here's another one for you: if you were going to build a routine based entirely around the Barbell Overhead Press, how would it look? Squats, deads, and bench would all be considered assistance work for this movement.

Cheers, JKF
JohnKFriday is offline   Reply With Quote