Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #1081
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeL0L View Post
Thanks for help i tryed to fix my form and these are new vids? would like to hear opinion if i should edit some more stuff Thanks

Overall not bad. A few things to fix. The bar is moving forward during descents, and you are folding a bit instead of squatting.

From a rear view you can see your knee angle is inside your toe angle. This makes it hard to hit depth, so instead of squatting the body is folding over and the bar is moving forward.

I would bring your stance in an inch on each side and practice squatting with those knees more open.

Practice "picking up the quarter", then try it with a dumbbell against your chest:

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #1082
EasyTwoSix
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: 6 serious
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Weighted Dip
Fav Supp: Eggs
EasyTwoSix is new to the forumEasyTwoSix is new to the forumEasyTwoSix is new to the forum

BHUD,

Thank you for the insight. That article was actually a big help. Maybe my perspective is a result of always lifting with guys who are much bigger than me. I definitely feel better about my progress.

Now I have a better picture of what weights to set my sights on in the long term.
EasyTwoSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #1083
CaseyB1987
Max Brawn
Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29 Points: 2,318, Level: 29
Activity: 37% Activity: 37% Activity: 37%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: 4 Day Split
Fav Supp: Food
CaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributorCaseyB1987 is a dedicated contributor
Default Buying Used Equipment

Hey BHUD,

I just bought some used bars and plates from guy I work with. Their a little
rusty but rock solid. I asked him how old they were and he said that he
bought'em back in the 80's. And I swear the bars feel heavier than the ones at the gym. I just wanted to ask if you knew a good way to clean up the bars?
CaseyB1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #1084
connormw1
New Brawn
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

connormw1 is new to the forumconnormw1 is new to the forum

BHUD,
Could I send you a video of my deadlift for some pointers?
connormw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #1085
JoschaGER
New Brawn
Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10 Points: 522, Level: 10
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

JoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality postsJoschaGER has made some quality posts

Hey Bearded One,
first i want to thank you for answering my question so fast.
And since you seem to like to help people and since I have a high opinion of you after watching like half of your videos Ive got some more Questions.

To myself:
Lifting experience: 7 years
Goal: Muscle-Gain, Bodybuilding

Workout plan:

A)
1. Warm Up + Crunch
2. Squat
3. Bench Press
4. Chin Ups
5. Biceps Curl
6. Grip Work
7. Neck *1

B)
1. Warm Up + Crunch
2. Military Press
3. Partial stiff leg Deadlift
4. Parallel Bar Dip
5. Lateral Raise
6. L-Fly
7. Calve raise
8. Grip Work

I work all major exercises with 3-4 warm up sets, leading to 2 work sets, less warm up on the assistance exercises, but also 2 work sets.
Thanks to you and Stuart McRobert I'm finally progressing again, after over a year of just pushing weights ( for example not eating enough ).
I focus on progress on the major lifts, and gonna leave the assistance exercises out of my question.
For the past few weeks I could add about 2 lb/week to Bench Press and the Partial stiff leg Deadlift, and about 1 lb /week to Squat, Military Press.
I just started to experiment with higher frequency ( Chest included 2 times a week ) the last few months, before that I always used Splits and im positively surprised. Since I use way less weight in the Bench Press than in Squats for example, those 2 lb /week mean even more to me.

1. Now, after watching your videos on Protein Synthesis and Full Body Workouts, I was wondering if you think my other major lifts would benefit from a higher frequency as well, or if I should accept this gaining momentum and be happy with it since I've not made big gains in the past 1.5 years.

2. I'm also thinking about reducing exercise volume and adding a third workout per week, because after I've finished my major lifts, I'm usually already pretty exhausted. What scheme would you recommend? Maybe putting all the assistance exercises into one workout without big hitters?

3. I find it hard to monitor progress on the Chin Ups, because of the long way of motion and the related discrepancies in time under tension, is the Dumbbell Row going to be as effective as the Chin Up? ( I would keep the Biceps Curl. If I stick to the Chin Up, I will maybe drop it, since my Biceps gets a hard workout already )

4. In your video on Protein Synthesis, you state that a muscle is ready to be hit again after about 48 hours. In my case, after 48 hours of a workout my local soreness just hits its peak ( espeacially the lower body ). Whats your opinion on that? Wouldnt it be dangerous to train hard again, if my connective tissue has not recovered yet?

Im sorry to throw so many questions on you at once, and i hope you find the time to answer them. Thank you so much for helping all of us with your videos and your QnA.

Greetings from Berlin,
Joscha
JoschaGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #1086
MaxZavtur
Points: 390, Level: 7 Points: 390, Level: 7 Points: 390, Level: 7
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

MaxZavtur is new to the forumMaxZavtur is new to the forum
Default Hi, Bearded Beast

Do you think train one bodypart per week (heavy) is beneficial? 7 days is fine for reaching recovery and supercompensation? some sources says that after 72 hours you reaching supercompensation, other says that after 14 days. What is your opinion? thanks
MaxZavtur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #1087
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connormw1 View Post
BHUD,
Could I send you a video of my deadlift for some pointers?
I changed your post count. You can now either post the video here or PM me the link.

I'd be glad to help.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #1088
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyTwoSix View Post
BHUD,

Thank you for the insight. That article was actually a big help. Maybe my perspective is a result of always lifting with guys who are much bigger than me. I definitely feel better about my progress.

Now I have a better picture of what weights to set my sights on in the long term.
I think it's good you train with bigger guys. It forces you to not accept the status quo. You're doing great.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #1089
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxZavtur View Post
Do you think train one bodypart per week (heavy) is beneficial? 7 days is fine for reaching recovery and supercompensation? some sources says that after 72 hours you reaching supercompensation, other says that after 14 days. What is your opinion? thanks
I think you can make gains on nearly any system, split or full body. Full body appears to be more optimal, but over the course of 3-4-5 years I don't really think you're going to see much of a difference.

I say this because I know hundreds of natural bodybuilders have used splits and they are doing fine.

Protein synthesis levels return to normal typically after 48 hours. That is why full body routines and upper/lower splits are consider more optimal.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #1090
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB1987 View Post
Hey BHUD,

I just bought some used bars and plates from guy I work with. Their a little
rusty but rock solid. I asked him how old they were and he said that he
bought'em back in the 80's. And I swear the bars feel heavier than the ones at the gym. I just wanted to ask if you knew a good way to clean up the bars?
Use Coke. Get some rags, dip them in Coke, and try cleaning the barbell.