Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Training Resources > Q&A
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Q&A Questions and answers with some of the top lifters on MAB.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #1031
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21 Points: 1,473, Level: 21
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Exp: about 3y (total combined)
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench
Fav Supp: goat milk
BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor
Default full body vs splits

This is my first post in one of these forums. Hope I'm doing it all right...

Hey Steve. You've basically become my new personal trainer and I just watched your youtube video about splits vs full-body workouts. I've just progressed from your beginner's full-body workout (muscleandstrength.com/workouts/strength-bulk-beginner-workout-linear-progression) and just started your recommended compound-only workout which is a split (muscleandstrength.com/workouts/21-compound-exercises-only-workout.html) as right now my goal is mass gain.

This all being said, it seems like, in your opinion, the first workout is more along the lines of what I should be doing due to everything you mentioned in your video. So now I'm planning to run this compound-only workout for a couple months (since I've already started it) and then switch back to a full-body workout. Does this sound like a good plan?
BobbyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #1032
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
This is my first post in one of these forums. Hope I'm doing it all right...
Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
You've basically become my new personal trainer and I just watched your youtube video about splits vs full-body workouts.
Thanks. Glad I am able to help in some way.

Quote:
So now I'm planning to run this compound-only workout for a couple months (since I've already started it) and then switch back to a full-body workout. Does this sound like a good plan?
They both are very good workout plans.

I would run the compound workout for 2 months, and if you are making gains, don't change a thing. You never want to make changes when gains are rolling along.

And, it's good to use a program that motivates you to lift. So if the compound workout appeals to you, it's good that you are sticking with it.

Let me know how things go, and good luck!

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #1033
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

BobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributorBobbyMac is a dedicated contributor

Ah... I probably should have stuck with the first one since I was still making gains on it. Anyway, I'll run this one like you said for a couple months or so and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1034
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

BBOD, I am thinking of doing Madcow 5x5. I was doing a sort of Texas Method hybrid for my bench and SS type thing for my legs ( as i have been squatting for under a year) and it was working well. However, I have been training for 4 months without a break which is fine normally except my strength seems to be regressing in my bench and upper body lifts.

This is due to some overreaching on my part and messing up the percentages on volume day- i was using over 90 per cent of my 5RM whereas Rip recommends 90%- but i was thinking that i could do the first 4 weeks of Madcow as a sort of semi-deload (as it will ramp up to my previous 5 RM). Do you think this is a good idea?

I really liked the article about natural bodybuilding and how big you can get. It really opened my eyes. All the physiques those guys have are pretty decent, I actually expected them to look a lot smaller, because my perspective was too low.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"

Last edited by TobesLCFC; 11-06-2013 at 01:56 PM.
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #1035
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobesLCFC View Post
but i was thinking that i could do the first 4 weeks of Madcow as a sort of semi-deload (as it will ramp up to my previous 5 RM). Do you think this is a good idea?
There are several Madcow programs. I'm not sure which one you are referencing.

You are planning on deloading for 4 weeks, is that correct? A deload is not working at full intensity or volume. I wouldn't deload for 4 weeks. One week off is plenty.

Quote:
However, I have been training for 4 months without a break which is fine normally except my strength seems to be regressing in my bench and upper body lifts.
How much volume for benches were you doing each week? Please detail a sample week.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1036
TobesLCFC
Max Brawn
Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27 Points: 2,065, Level: 27
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Greek Yoghurt with honey
TobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributorTobesLCFC is a dedicated contributor

Sorry I wasn't really planning a deload at all, it's just the Madcow intermediate program starts off easily. It's this one, the intermediate 5x5 http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/.

For benches I was doing
5x5 95 percent of 5 RM on Monday
Wednesday 3x5 OHP
1x5 new 5RM on Friday.

I threw in a few sets of dumbell presses as well. I think I may be just fatigued because I have set continuous PRs for a 2-3 months.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." – Socrates

"I never saved anything for the swim back."

"Compound exercises, kids! Compound exercises!"
TobesLCFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #1037
Shep
Brawn
Points: 1,315, Level: 20 Points: 1,315, Level: 20 Points: 1,315, Level: 20
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Fav Supp: Whey
Shep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good postsShep has made some very good posts

I've been watching a few CT Fletcher videos on YouTube and there's some decent lifting going on but he dismisses overtraining,saying it doesn't exist and advocates penitentiary style training which isn't always correct form or full ROM. Also he says he's 100% natural despite the fact,he's huge and very lean.
What's your thoughts on CT Fletcher and his advice/training methods?
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #1038
BobbyMac
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
I've been watching a few CT Fletcher videos on YouTube and there's some decent lifting going on but he dismisses overtraining,saying it doesn't exist and advocates penitentiary style training which isn't always correct form or full ROM. Also he says he's 100% natural despite the fact,he's huge and very lean.
What's your thoughts on CT Fletcher and his advice/training methods?
Been wondering about this myself (mostly the second part). [edit - just googled CT Fletcher and actually I was thinking of Kali Muscle]

Last edited by BobbyMac; 11-07-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #1039
Adamite1114
Uber Brawn
Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30 Points: 2,563, Level: 30
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Training Exp: on and off 7 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlift, Squats
Fav Supp: Phosflex
Adamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributorAdamite1114 is a dedicated contributor

Hey BTB in your opinion do circuits work to burn fat?
Adamite1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #1040
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamite1114 View Post
Hey BTB in your opinion do circuits work to burn fat?
If you mean more optimally than steady state cardio like treadmill, yes.

BUT, if you compared the differences in calories burned over the course of a year, you will see it doesn't matter much what form of cardio you do, as long as you do some.

If circuit work helps you burn 20 more calories per workout compared to a treadmill, that equates to only 3,120 calories per year burned if you do it 3x a week. That's less than a pound of fat per year.

Diet is a much better way of controlling fat. Do whatever form of cardio you enjoy for health, reduce fat with diet.

Unless you are dialing in for a show, then 20 calories per workout will matter.