Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Powerbuilding question (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9786)

Violent Volume 04-27-2012 11:51 AM

Powerbuilding question

I've spent most of my adult life lifting for strength but have never messed around with hypertrophy. I put on size over the years but I know Jack skwat about the muscle building training.

I need a change for 6 months and want to add in some hypertrophy work. Any suggestions on how best to do this and still train for strength? Alternate weeks? Periodize blocks?

SeventySeven 04-27-2012 11:55 AM

Look into Layne Nortons PHAT routine or Joe Ohrablos NLP.

ruelisla 08-15-2013 01:08 PM

Powerbuilding -powerlifting style

Quote:

Originally Posted by Violent Volume (Post 236572)
I've spent most of my adult life lifting for strength but have never messed around with hypertrophy. I put on size over the years but I know Jack skwat about the muscle building training.

I need a change for 6 months and want to add in some hypertrophy work. Any suggestions on how best to do this and still train for strength? Alternate weeks? Periodize blocks?

Hi Violent Volume,

I just want to share my workout with you.

I am a competitive raw powerlifter, I love lifting heavy weights and even i do bodybuilding, I dont let my stregth lose.

What I do in my training, I do periodization.

I do squat, bench and deadlift. I spilt it into 3 day workout and i put assistance training for each muscle group for muscle building.

Ex. in Leg day
day1
Squat 6x6
my assisitance training
leg press
deads 1x15
calves

day2
bench 6x6
assistance trainign
neck press
dips

Behind the neck press
bentover lat raise

Closegrip bench press
french press
tricep ext

Day3
Deadlift
assistance training
BB row
Shrugs

Barbell curl
alternate DB curl
One arm DB curl.

Sometimes I also do HIT training 1 cycle
and powerlifting training 1 cycle and repeat the process.

Soldier 08-15-2013 02:57 PM

If you really want a change then periodization is probably the way to go. That will let you focus on hypertrophy for a while and go into maintenance mode for strength. I actually just shifted my focus from strength to size, and I've seen pretty awesome results. My legs and shoulders are noticeably larger, and I managed this while on a keto diet, and of course low carb diets are known for leaving muscles a little "deflated" looking.

My main focus has been on combining different rep ranges. I start with a compound movement and go for higher intensity, then move into the 8-15 rep range to get some good TUT, then finish with isolation movements and high reps past failure to get a big pump.

I've enjoyed the change. Other than the aesthetic rewards, I've also really enjoyed not having the achy joints I always had to deal with when I was training purely for strength.