Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Powerlifting USA Going Out of Business

POWERLIFTING USA Magazine | Powerlifting Watch

Quote:
To those with an interest in POWERLIFTING USA Magazine:
After exactly 35 years, and about 1/2 billion pages of printed matter distributed, the May 2012 issue will be the last edition of POWERLIFTING USA magazine produced by Mike Lambert.

We have been "bleeding out" financially and the future outlook for print magazines is bleak. We consider the marketplace to be a democracy, and we recognize that consumers vote with their dollars. When financial support for a given venture starts to slip away, it's like an election and-- like it or not--you have to "leave office," which I accept. We are making arrangements to fulfill our obligation to our subscribers with another publication in our field. We will maintain our website and Facebook presence for the time being. Someone may come out of the woodwork with a great idea on how to continue POWERLIFTING USA in some way, and we will let you know if that happens.

One of my mentors was the late Peary Rader, who published IRON MAN magazine for 50 years. I am not a fraction of the publisher and man that Peary was, but I used to think if POWERLIFTING USA could at least go for 37.5 years (75%) that would be great. Well, we made it to 70%, and that's still a fair run.

I thank God for blessing me with the best job I could have ever had, and for so long. I thank my wife In Joo and my daughter Laura and my son Curtis, as well as my brother Pat, and my late parents Jean and Wes for their love and encouragement over a span of 5 decades. I thank Kelly Lambert (my amazing new daughter-in-law), Priscilla Ramirez, and Butterfli O'Shea for their recent contributions, which we completely could not have done without, as well as everyone else who ever contributed to and/or worked for the magazine. I recognize and appreciate all the powerlifting organizations, all the advertisers, and Ö especiallyÖ all the powerlifters and fans who actually cracked open their wallets and paid money to read what we had to say in the magazine! (That still seems like a miracle to me!) THANK YOU!

Mike Lambert

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Doesn't surprise me really. Print media (books aside) as a whole is going to die out eventually and with such a niche topic as powerlifting it must have been difficult. Still, sad to hear about nonetheless.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
Doesn't surprise me really. Print media (books aside) as a whole is going to die out eventually and with such a niche topic as powerlifting it must have been difficult. Still, sad to hear about nonetheless.
They should at least try and modernise the whole deal though, online subscriptions for the magazine. Make some money off the website etc.

Would make things much more accessible to people outside of the US as well.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

A lot of these mags were slow to get on the ball. If PLUSA would have started an online community back in the day, and started posting regular web content...

Anyway, it's a shame.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
ricka182
Time to start over...
Max Brawn
Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45 Points: 5,008, Level: 45
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench & Deads
Fav Supp: VPX Power Shock & PLCAR
ricka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machinericka182 is a lifting machine

Sad. I hate technology sometimes.
ricka182 is offline   Reply With Quote