Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member
Default Biceps and Bench

What is it about benching that seems to aggravate one of your biceps? I'm seeing a theme from a lot of people's logs that benching does cause some bicep pains. That's my hypothesis.

Is everyone's pains similar? Mine's like an ache in the fat part of my left bicep. I also have some sharper pains from time to time at the very lowest part of the bicep connection just above my elbow. I assumed this was some tendinitis like thing that I get from always carrying my daughter/groceries/etc. in my left arm. I didn't necessarily connet it with benching. The ache I mentioned first is from benching though. And it's only in one arm, the other does not have any real pain, just normal soreness from working out.

So, what causes this?
- From what I notice: I lower the bar fairly quickly and I believe the pain stems from decelerating hard at my chest. I think it's in my left arm because that arm frequently is slightly lower than my right when I get to my chest. Now, this is not scientific, but that is the impression I get. I will also note, when I fail to lockout, it's always my right arm that does not lock out, never my left. Don't know if that means anything, though.
I'd like to hear if other people have other ideas.

Then somewhat more importantly, what should you do about it? Both after the fact and as preventative.
- For my part, I do not do curls and the only direct bicep stuff is some chinups. I know Muscle G and JB have both mentioned doing hammer curls on bench days, and Fazc has mentioned not doing straight chins, but neutral grip instead.
- What about after the fact? Should you get away from flat benching to some other form for a week or two to relieve the aches and work on the bicep? Other?

Anyway, something I'm noticing and interested in what other people think. Anything on this topic would be appreciated.

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96

Last edited by MikeM; 04-17-2012 at 07:56 AM.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
bwys61
Austin Simply Fit #1
Max Brawn
Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64 Points: 9,189, Level: 64
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 15+
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Caffeine
bwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machinebwys61 is a lifting machine

The better your technique is, the more biceps involvement. If you're pulling the bar down correctly, then you will naturally engage the biceps.

You are correct with deceleration. It's equivalent to a fast, hard negative.

Hammer curls are best, and I recommend working in some light, higher volume work to aid in some GPP.
bwys61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
The better your technique is, the more biceps involvement.
I like this guy

The biceps certainly support the arm and stabilise the bar, no question there. There *may* also be some residual pain from squatting as well, which manifests itself after the Bench.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
IronManlet
With apelike velocity
Max Brawn
Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47 Points: 5,468, Level: 47
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 2 years
Training Type: Heavy Duty
Fav Supp: Steak
IronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beastIronManlet is a lifting beast

Look at it this way: The barbell curl is like the squat for the arms.

Among other things, stronger biceps decrease the risk of bicep tears while deadlifting/pulling, can help increase chin-ups/rows/etc due to their involvement, stabilize the arms while pressing/benching/power cleaning/etc, and are also nice for the ladies to grab onto. Heavy barbell curls also help strengthen the grip and forearms.

It sounds to me like adding some in would be worth your while.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Well you know what I am going to say already! Add in a few sets of medium weight hammer curls. Will help with control in the bench. You never see a big bencher with little arms!!!!!

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwys61 View Post
The better your technique is, the more biceps involvement. If you're pulling the bar down correctly, then you will naturally engage the biceps.
Several years ago you mentioned the concept of rowing the bar down. It's helped my benching and I've been using it since. I have noticed an increase in stress placed upon my brachialis. When I bench heavy raw that's usually one of the areas that picks up a minor strain. I haven't been doing any form of hammer curl but have been thinking about adding it for this reason.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

I never get any bicept pain from benching. Haven't even heard of anyone experiencing that until now. I do hammer curls 1-2x/week though. I vary the dbs from 40's to 80's.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
I never get any bicept pain from benching. Haven't even heard of anyone experiencing that until now. I do hammer curls 1-2x/week though. I vary the dbs from 40's to 80's.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

I get pain in my right bicep, just above the elbow so I guess the brachialis area. I've never consistently included direct bicep work but have been trying too recently and by the sounds of it, it seems like a wise choice.

Also like Faz pointed out, I think squats were the root cause for me. Had some shoulder/elbow trouble with squats over the last few months and heavy bench can sometimes aggravate this.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
MikeM
Max Brawn
Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74 Points: 12,864, Level: 74
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Training Exp: in 3rd year
Fav Supp: Food
MikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite memberMikeM is an elite member

Yep JT, it was your log that tipped me into starting this thread. Seemed like another bench bicep casualty, so I thought I'd ask.

So, Hammer curls the way to go. Like 3 sets of 10 medium on volume bench day, and 3 sets 15 lighter on heavy bench day, if you bench twice a week? Or the reverse? Or doesn't matter?

Thanks for the help!

Best meet lifts: Sq 150 Kg (330 lb), Bench 120 Kg (264), DL 160 (352) @89 Kg (197)
Best gym lifts: Sq 375, Bench 280 (pause), DL 385 @205 or less
Goals: 3/4/5
Goals beyond my wildest dreams, 600 Kg raw total, 200/160/240

Hack away at anything which isn't essential. Do what you love, and do it often. Fazc.

Everything competes for recovery so more assistance is not always the best idea. miked96
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote