Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member
Default Rack pulls

Pretty sure we all have done them or seen folks done them, what i want to know is YOUR opinion on them: overrated or underrated?

Reason I ask is because recently I was able to pull 700 at knee level for several reps, never done that much before but my sticking point is around knee level so i believe these may help out. But just want to hear others input.

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
gaspers04
Max Brawn
Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83 Points: 17,264, Level: 83
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 20 yrs.
Training Type: Westside
Fav Exercise: All of Them! Bench, hehe.
Fav Supp: Food
gaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master membergaspers04 is a master member

Im not much of a deadlifter but it sounds reasonable big fella. I do enjoy them, a chance to overload.

Supplements
M & S's Isofuel Chocolate, MGN's Dextrose,Universal's Beef Aminos and AAEFX's Kre-Alkalyn.
gaspers04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

I think they're a great exercise, but they dont mimic the top part of a deadlift. You're probably going to be a lot more bent over doing a pull from the floor than you will set up doing a rack pull. My experience anyway... i think they're a great exercise, just dont feel they really build actual deadlift lockout power that much...
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Disciple X
Max Brawn
Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50 Points: 6,017, Level: 50
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Disciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machineDisciple X is a lifting machine

But you deadlift more than me
Disciple X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Rack pulls at knee, or above the knee never carry over much for me. I've spent a lot of time with them, giving them long runs, and the return on investment was little to none. I think at that level I've experienced great rewards from doing heavy power shrugs than high rack deads. Mileage may vary of course, as this is just my experience.

On the other hand low rack deads have been gold for me. Using them about 4 inches off the ground has been paying off, and in addition, they are easier on my body than floor pulls. This last point is a big one for me. I am still experimenting with them, but with how well they are working for me right now, I plan on giving them a long, hard run the next year.

In the past 5 years 99% of my rack pulls were either a hair below knee or higher. So low rack deads are still a new venture.

The more I analyze the deadlift, though I am far from an expert, the more I notice that most people are strong off the floor. If you ask me man to man away from forums I would tell you I am not a fan of deficit pulls for this reason. Certainly they are beneficial, and can be beneficial, but I am starting to believe that a deadlifter's time might be better spent pulling low rack deads a few inches off the floor.

I hate to generalize, and that's not my intention here. Merely saying I think low racks should be given a good run.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

I like rack pulls purely because they permit me to pull heavier weight than in the deadlift, so they allow me to get the feel of the heavier weightload and my grip in relation to that load, even if only at the top end of a deadlift set-up.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Gonna try some low rack pulls tomorrow night. Let's see what happens.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I miss ALL my pulls off the floor, but that's due to an injury more than a weakness. My injury cannot take the low position.

I use a lot of rack pulls, but prefer pulling off blocks for several reasons. The two main reasons are: pulling off blocks feels more like a traditional pull and pulling off blocks doesn't bend bars.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

I enjoy doing them as they overload the CNS and strengthen the lower back and traps. But I've never really experienced any direct carryover to the deadlift itself. Don't really do them that often though, so who knows.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback View Post
Reason I ask is because recently I was able to pull 700 at knee level for several reps, never done that much before but my sticking point is around knee level so i believe these may help out. But just want to hear others input.
SB. I think if your sticking point is at knee level you really need to be doing rack pulls from *below* knee level. The reason being is that you have to distinguish between the point at which the bar slows down and the point it actually stops... they are two different things. The point at which the bar slows down is your actual sticking point *not* the point where it actually stops.

For me and a lot of people, rack pulls below the knees are the ones which have the greatest relationship to my actual pull. For the reasons stated above.

---

One decent way to incorporate rack pulls of different heights is to use one height to strengthen another and then work down. For example:

1) Over the course of a month or two build up to 300kg above the knee - 21inch height for example.
2) Over the next couple months lower the height and build back up to 300kg at knee level - 18inch height for example.

- At this point you still might not see a massive increase from the floor.

3) Final stage is to lower the height again and build up to 300kg below the knee, in the low rack position. - 12-15inch height for example

That should increase your pull quite a bit. This is pretty much all I was consistent with prior to my last Meet and netted me the 260kg pull. I do a similar thing with Partial Squats and it works really well.

Last edited by Fazc; 04-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote