Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bend the Bench Press Bar (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9651)

BendtheBar 04-15-2012 10:29 AM

Bend the Bench Press Bar
 
Going to try a higher volume approach on bench post meet, training 3-4 times a week with more volume. Need to try a different avenue as my press is lagging compared to squats and deads.

Depending on the program I will deload every 2nd or third week.

Seeking any input, insights or feedback from someone who has tried a high volume, high frequency bench program.

I will post my program idea later today.

LtL 04-15-2012 10:48 AM

What about varying pressing with chains and bands alongside pressing from different heights using boards or pin presses or floor presses? Similar to how you and Fazc have treated the other lifts with their variations.

LtL

Mr.Silverback 04-15-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 233224)
What about varying pressing with chains and bands alongside pressing from different heights using boards or pin presses or floor presses? Similar to how you and Fazc have treated the other lifts with their variations.

LtL

I was going to say this, now in terms of high volume I know that I can on sustain it for a few sessions and then it begins to go backwards.

Might I suggest a scheme that a team member is using? I believe it goes this way

Week1:5x10@65-70%
Week2-3:5x5@75-85%
Week4:3x3@90-95%

I believe that's how its done and he benches 2-3/week...he's a 650+RAW benchers...LOL

Silverback Barbell

J_Byrd 04-15-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback (Post 233234)
I was going to say this, now in terms of high volume I know that I can on sustain it for a few sessions and then it begins goalgoaldavis go backwards.

Might I suggest a scheme that a team member is using? I believe it goes this way

Week1:5x10@65-70%
Week2-3:5x5@75-85%
Week4:3x3@90-95%

I believe that's how its done and he benches 2-3/week...he's a 650+RAW benchers...LOL

Silverback Barbell

Al Davis?

BendtheBar 04-15-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 233224)
What about varying pressing with chains and bands alongside pressing from different heights using boards or pin presses or floor presses? Similar to how you and Fazc have treated the other lifts with their variations.

LtL

I can do 2 board press and chain variations. Pin presses are rough on my shoulders.

BendtheBar 04-15-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Silverback (Post 233234)
I was going to say this, now in terms of high volume I know that I can on sustain it for a few sessions and then it begins to go backwards.

Might I suggest a scheme that a team member is using? I believe it goes this way

Week1:5x10@65-70%
Week2-3:5x5@75-85%
Week4:3x3@90-95%

I believe that's how its done and he benches 2-3/week...he's a 650+RAW benchers...LOL

Silverback Barbell

He does that multiple times each week?

That's along the lines of what I am thinking about. Something close to Smolov Jr for bench, or whatever it's called.

LtL 04-15-2012 12:28 PM

So I would work the variations that you have rather than just varying the volume on the three sessions because I would get bored to tears just benching the same weight for that long. That's just me and my ADD though :)

Have you ever tried speed benching? What about ballistic benching? Ballistic is where you do your speed reps as per usual but turn the bar around BEFORE it hits your chest. My shoulder has been too beat up to do this for a while but had some success with it before Christmas. Helps me stop sinking the bar into my chest and improving the stretch reflex.

LtL

BendtheBar 04-15-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtL (Post 233270)
So I would work the variations that you have rather than just varying the volume on the three sessions because I would get bored to tears just benching the same weight for that long. That's just me and my ADD though :)

Have you ever tried speed benching? What about ballistic benching? Ballistic is where you do your speed reps as per usual but turn the bar around BEFORE it hits your chest. My shoulder has been too beat up to do this for a while but had some success with it before Christmas. Helps me stop sinking the bar into my chest and improving the stretch reflex.

LtL

Varying the volume to me isn't as important as adding volume, so yes, I could work variations. I have 2 primary goals:

1) More volume at 85% ish.
2) A defined progression approach.

I need to know I am making progress with this system. So whether it be a rep goal system, or whatever I choose, it must have work where I am pushing things and can compare workouts for progress. I have ideas in my head right now and will share them in a bit.

I certainly can work variations with this.

5kgLifter 04-15-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 233264)
I can do 2 board press and chain variations. Pin presses are rough on my shoulders.

Slingshot pin presses? or would that defeat the purpose of the pin press entirely?

Disciple X 04-15-2012 12:50 PM

Pin presses always hurt my shoulders too... cant really figure out why...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.