Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #21
Mr.Silverback
Max Brawn
Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74 Points: 13,065, Level: 74
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 15+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat, Bench, Dead
Fav Supp: Chicken, Beef, water
Mr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master memberMr.Silverback is a master member

There are plenty valid options here, but the biggest thing I would suggest would to always listen to your body....but you already know that!

Silverback Barbell
CHECK OUT MY 1ST EBOOK
http://www.stronglife610.org
Mr.Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
I'm right there with you, unfortunately.

I was going to mention this in my log, but may as well note it here my right brachioradialis has been giving me a lot of trouble lately. I really need address some balance post-meet.

I think I'll be doing a lot more parallel grip chins, rather than direct bicep work.
I'm not really sure what I plan on doing. I think perhaps some general strengthening work like a 3x10 each bench workout initially just as a jumping off point.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #23
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
I would suggest getting some elbow sleeves and training with them now.
Thanks for the advice on the sleeves. I will check them out.

And thanks for the insights. I appreciate it.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #24
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I have mentioned to Fazc that right now I feel I could bench heavy 5-6 days per week if I wanted to. I have been benching 3x a week for the last 6 months, generally doing about 4-5 reps top reps per day, sometimes only a single if I am trashed, but this is rare.

Prior to the Slingshot all my main work was at 70-80%, with most of it being 70-75%. I did this for years, occasionally straying up to 85% but I would incur strains.

I was making no progress at 70-80. My bench was the same for at least 18 months. Most of my work now is supra-maximal, and while it paid off the first 2 months, I have fallen back into stagnation.

One area I have yet to hammer hard is the 85% range. With a Slingshot this would work out to about 365-375 pounds. It's not possible to train 85% without a Slingshot, as I pick up strains that linger for months. I have tried, and it's simply not possible to train about 80% raw anymore without penalties.

Regarding training sticking points - just too hard to do training alone. I have dabbled with board presses, belting the board on, but my bench catch racks are not friendly at these heights and I need spotters.

Thinking through the feedback and input, and processing my situation, I am pretty sure I am going to hammer the 85% range right now 3 days per week. I'll lay out a plan and see what you all think.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdLargest View Post
I would suggest Metal Militia.
I don't know a thing about it to be honest. If you guys have any info I am always up for learning a few new tricks.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
Star doing Hammer curls 3 sets of 12 and reverse BB curls 3 sets of 20 with light weights.

I feel these really help with elbow/bicep pain and helps prevent tendonitis. Don't think about building muscle with these movements, they are all about keeping the elbow tendons conditioned and strong.
Thanks. I'm not worried about muscle so no worries there. I just want them as strong as possible.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #27
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Going to try focusing on 2 workouts, alternating them A/B style while continuing to train bench 3x a week.

The focus of max day will be working up to a single, double, or triple paused bench max based on how I feel for that day.

The goal of volume day will be...more volume. I will be pushing each set for max reps, trying to beat my last performance. Focusing my training here a bit looking to climb up the rep ladder at every opportunity. I need a change, and this type of approach was was staple for a long time. Want to return to it, this time in the 85% range.

Max Day

--Paused Bench - Single, double or triple max attempt
--Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets, 20 rep goal*

* Working each set for max reps, will add weight when I hit 20 total reps for these sets.

"Volume" Day

--Bench Press - 5 sets, 20 rep goal* (Starting at 365 my first workout)
--Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets, 20 rep goal*

* Working each set for max reps, will add weight when I hit 20 total reps for these sets.

Extra Workout

Will also add the following each day:

--3 sets curl variation

Old 04-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

BTB, in my opinion, working with 70%-80% 1rm will get you nowhere. If you want strength gains, you need to go >%100. I overload over %100 almost every heavy bench day. I don't think your shoulders could handle this more than once a week. Mine won't.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
austin.j.taylor
Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

I am not one to give advice on bench, but for bicep pain and elbow tendonitis I recommend super high rep hammer curls. I do 3 sets of 25 with a weight that is stupidly light. Also elbow sleeves have helped a ton. I use the 5mm Rehbands.
Deadlift: 473
Push Press: 235X3
Clean and Strict Press: 175X3
12 inch Log Press: 250
Yoke: 650X18.5'
Atlas Stone: 300 over 48" bar
Hummer Tire Dead: 500X3
18" Deadlift: 550
Many more PR's to come
Youtube user name: Coachlefty
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
BTB, in my opinion, working with 70%-80% 1rm will get you nowhere. If you want strength gains, you need to go >%100. I overload over %100 almost every heavy bench day. I don't think your shoulders could handle this more than once a week. Mine won't.
That's insane.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote