Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts
Default Cult of Rippetoe

I don't agree with everything on this list, but you have to give the guy credit because he packs a punch.

Are You Part Of The Rippetoe Cult | Rookiejournal.com

Quote:
If you think that the low-bar squat is the only way to go you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that low-bar squats work more muscle mass compared to the high-bar squat you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Cross-fit sucks but you found Rippetoe through Cross-fit you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that you are gaining muscle mass when you are on the GOMAD diet you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Starting Strength is the single best training program for beginners you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that bodybuilders are not strong you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that power cleans are better than barbell rows you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that dumbbells suck for beginners you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that you can gain 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months without steroids you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that split routines are not effective you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that you should bounce the bench press you are apart of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that the gains on Starting Strength are due to the phenomenal program you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that the leg press is gay you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Cross-fit hurt the reputation of Rippetoe you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you hate on people that want visible abs you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think squat is the only way to get big legs you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you buy every book of Rippetoe without personal evaluation you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think people need over 300 pages to learn squat, bench, press, deadlift, clean you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that the Front Squat is only for Olympic lifters you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that the advice of Rippetoe on his forum is that precious you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Rippetoe got affiliated with Cross-fit for no reason you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that squats and deadlifs build big arms you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that you need 6000 calories and 300 grams of protein to grow you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think the muscle gains on Starting Strength are accurate you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Rippetoe is a successful coach you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Rippetoe knows something about weightlifting you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you don't agree with me you are 100% part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Rippetoe knows something about nutrition you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that Rippetoe does not want to lose fat because he will also strength you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you are typing Rippetoe in Google you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think you should wear a belt for squats in order to lift more weight you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think ATG squats are stupid you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

NOTE: I don't care if you agree with me or not. Actually if you don't agree with me it's even better.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
If you think that you should bounce the bench press you are apart of the Rippetoe cult.
?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
If you think that Starting Strength is the single best training program for beginners you are part of the Rippetoe cult

If you think that split routines are not effective you are part of the Rippetoe cult.

If you think that squats and deadlifs build big arms you are part of the Rippetoe cult
I liked these gems. I've ran into d-bags on various forums that will argue these three things with you until they are blue in the face. To them these are written in stone tablets handed down by god.
Examples:
OP: What is a good routine for beginners
Level Headed Posters: there are are a few options....(goes on to list some reasonable options)
Rippetoe Cult: No. You are wrong LHP!! There is only starting strength, nothing else is good nothing, nothing!!!!!!!! Don't argue with me, I read starting strength once!!!!!!

OP: What should I do for bigger biceps?
Level Headed Poster: You should try doing 6-9 sets of a curls or curls variants a week..(goes on to give more explanation)
Rippetoe Cult: You should squat!! Squats build big biceps!! Curls are for pussies!!!!!!!!

Having said that, there is a lot of BS on this list. Some of the stuff posted is just flat out wrong.
I'm not a Rippetoe fanboy, but I do believe his exercise explanations are pretty top notch.

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.

Last edited by BigJosh; 04-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
If you think that Rippetoe knows something about nutrition you are part of the Rippetoe cult.
He knows enough to help a trainee maximize strength gains. Calories.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Violent Volume
Brawn
Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33 Points: 2,991, Level: 33

Violent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good postsViolent Volume has made some very good posts

I've typed Rippetoe into Google. Not sure what that means.
Violent Volume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
BigJosh
Max Brawn
Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70 Points: 11,344, Level: 70
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 7-8 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press and Curls Bro
Fav Supp: Opti-Men Multi Vit
BigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master memberBigJosh is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent Volume View Post
I've typed Rippetoe into Google. Not sure what that means.
I've read all of his books, so where does that leave me?

I am not a powerlifter nor am I a bodybuilder. I just want to be big and strong.
Quote:
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: Write that quote down
[Today 05:50 PM] BendtheBar: If I am going to be a bro, I am going to be the best
Make gains, not excuses.
BigJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +9 years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: ANIMAL PAK
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

The main thing I have against Rippetoe is his spoken hatred for barbell rowing. Power cleans are a ballistic movement pulled from the ground through utilization of the posterior chain muscles; the row and power cleans are not comparable.

Barbell rows retract the scapula and work muscles like the posterior deltoids, infraspinatus and teres minor. It's essential to work these muscles if you are bench pressing since bench presses are the antagonist.

If you protract the scapula, you retract the scapula for balance. He says cleans, optional pullups and deadlifts are enough and this isn't true. Cleans and deadlifts are both posterior chain dominant. Deadlifts work the lats hard and so do cleans, but the lats are part of the internal rotators of the humerus that would only contribute to the imbalance.

The best way to hit a muscle is by working its prime function. The prime function of the posterior deltoids is transverse extension - retraction of the scapula, as well as the rhomboids and trapeziums.

Starting strength is a great program. What Rippetoe has done a great job of is teaching novice lifters that they don't need hundreds of thousands of movements each week to grow. He's also done a good job of shutting the "squats are bad for your knees" gurus up for a while. What this has also done is convinced a lot of lifters there is no better way to train.

With this in mind, I'd rather listen to a starting strength guru than a bench and curl enthusiast abiding by the bro science.

I like Rippetoe myself, but I don't agree with every ounce of information he says. Too many people take his posts as the gospel and no other books or articles are worth reading if it doesn't agree solely with what Rippetoe says.

The "look down" while squatting principle is questionable, but I have heard Rippetoe say he doesn't mind his lifters to look straight ahead either. He seems to think looking up is wrong, and I'm not sure how you can make a statement like that considering some of the most successful squatters in the world look up.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
I've read all of his books, so where does that leave me?
Smarter.

Smart doesn't equate to dogmatic, that I can see.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
strkout35
Max Brawn
Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66 Points: 10,027, Level: 66

strkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machinestrkout35 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
?
I think it meant to be "apart from" like not part of it

_________Goals:__
Squat:______275
Deadlift:_____315
Bench:______185
Press:_______135

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe"
strkout35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Hazzard
Max Brawn
Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48 Points: 5,710, Level: 48
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%

Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
Fav Supp: Pizza
Hazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good postsHazzard has made some good posts

Not a massive fan of Rippetoe. He has some awesome videos and watching them essentially taught me how to dead and squat, but I don't like the way he comes across as presenting his idea as the only way to train.