Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
JTurner
Max Brawn
Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59 Points: 7,933, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 2+ Years
Fav Exercise: BTNPP
Fav Supp: Beef
JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast
Default Weightlifting or flat soled shoes for squatting

Just wanted to get some opinions on the use of weightlifting shoes for squatting. I've used them for the last 8 month but with my concentration switching to powerlifting and with less of a need to go ATG, is there any benefit over flat soled shoes or vice versa?

Interested to hear any different opinions and experiences.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

I squatted in a pair of boots with a slight heel for years. To me it seems that a small heel is good for a narrow stance and deeper squat. I use a pair of chucks now (which actually has a 1/4in heel) and squat a little wider than I was before. To me its all about preference.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
tank
Max Brawn
Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47 Points: 5,446, Level: 47
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: Rookie
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Supp: Food
tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
Just wanted to get some opinions on the use of weightlifting shoes for squatting. I've used them for the last 8 month but with my concentration switching to powerlifting and with less of a need to go ATG, is there any benefit over flat soled shoes or vice versa?

Interested to hear any different opinions and experiences.
firstly, "...and with less of a need to go ATG" is heresy. secondly, in my experience, and popular opinion seems to agree, that flat soled is the way to go for squatting. you benefit from weightlifting shoes during the deadlift for various reasons that are more technical than i'm qualified to explain.

20 JAN 12 at 200 (90) BW - 385/275/405 (175/125/184) SQ/B/D

29 MAY 12 at 206 (93) BW - 135/175 (61/79) SN/CJ
tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
JTurner
Max Brawn

JTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beastJTurner is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
firstly, "...and with less of a need to go ATG" is heresy. secondly, in my experience, and popular opinion seems to agree, that flat soled is the way to go for squatting. you benefit from weightlifting shoes during the deadlift for various reasons that are more technical than i'm qualified to explain.
I wouldn't say it heresy, I just mean that with max attempts there's no need to bury a squat so deep when an inch below parallel will suffice and could be the difference between making a lift and failing.

The deadlift point's interesting, I've read about it in the past but never used the oly shoes for them. Pretty interesting read where Rippetoe speaks a little about it http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...es-kantor.html
Old 03-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
tank
Max Brawn

tank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributortank is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
I wouldn't say it heresy, I just mean that with max attempts there's no need to bury a squat so deep when an inch below parallel will suffice and could be the difference between making a lift and failing.

The deadlift point's interesting, I've read about it in the past but never used the oly shoes for them. Pretty interesting read where Rippetoe speaks a little about it http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/art...es-kantor.html
yeah, you're right about the ATG, i was mostly kidding. what have you decided to do?

Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
JTurner
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
yeah, you're right about the ATG, i was mostly kidding. what have you decided to do?
I'm going to play around whenever I next squat and see what feels best, tempted to go get some light sets in now.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I tried a heeled shoe, Do-Wins. Ended up with some additional knee stress. It makes sense that the heel should work, but I could never get it right.

Perhaps I'll try it later today when I wrap up with high-bar.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
tank
Max Brawn

Quote:
I'm going to play around whenever I next squat and see what feels best, tempted to go get some light sets in now.
i know plenty of folks that preach squatting barefoot. don't know if you've tried it, but you could give it a try and have an idea of whether you prefer a flat or raised heel.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I have recently switched back from heeled shoe (adipower) to converse and feel I am better able to spread the floor and force my knees out. Worth noting I have also widened my stance to help load the suit. For close(r) stance raw squats I think heeled shoes are still good.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
JTurner
Max Brawn

Tried out my old flat squat shoes last night and it feels better, for now. Since going heavy with the heels I've picked up a few knee tweaks, probably through a form fault as I seem more prone to shift weight towards my toes with them. Filmed a light set of each and there is no difference in depth, just a more upright torso position with the heel.