Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Some clarifying questions.... (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9481)

tank 03-28-2012 12:37 PM

Some clarifying questions....

...about some of the lifts in my new program, but for all intents and purposes this can be used for other lifts that anyone needs clearing up.

1) Push Jerk - is it the same as a Push Press?

2) Behind the Neck Press Snatch Grip - for training olympic lifts these should be done standing, no?

3) Vertical jump - done with bodyweight and no barbell?

4) Overhead Squats - are these done out of a rack, like a locked out press?

5) Jump Squats - i'm pretty much completely clueless on these. regular squat with a jump at the top??

6) Behind the Neck Press combined with Overhead Squats - simultaneously or Press at the top of the squat?

thanks guys!

Fazc 03-28-2012 01:19 PM

What, what I thought you were becoming a powerlifter?

1) Jerk means a double knee dip, (one prior to pull, one for catch). Push Press only allows one knee dip.

2) Probably.

3) Usually.

4) Yep, snatch grip.

5) Yep.

6) Use the momentum.

tank 03-28-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazc (Post 228096)
What, what I thought you were becoming a powerlifter?

LOL! i like to think of it as improving all facets of my strength. thanks fazc!

Hazzard 03-28-2012 04:23 PM

Behind the neck press snatch grip sounds like the worst thing ever...

Fazc has pretty much got you covered. Two questions - for jump squats are you using a barbell on your back? And when you say vertical jumps, do you have anything to measure progress?

tank 03-28-2012 04:31 PM

BTN Snatch grip Presses were surprisingly comfortable!

i assume i should have the barbell on my back, right?

i do not really have a method of measuring progress for vertical jump. i just figured if maximal effort was made, the effect would be accomplished.

Hazzard 03-28-2012 04:52 PM

Yeah. barbell on your back is fine, just be careful with it jumping up and hitting your vertebrae! You can also do it with a trap bar instead if you have one kicking around.

MikeM 03-28-2012 11:30 PM

Tank, do you have things of different heights to jump to? Stacking stepup thingys or whatever? You know do 20 jumps onto something 20 inches high, then move up to 20 jumps onto something 22 inches high, etc. etc.

I think you need something measurable as it's too easy to slack off when you're just saying "max effort" jump. Today, my "max effort" jump would mean some leprechaun would have had to work damn hard to slip a dime under my feet, but other days, well I actually jump for real. Just saying.

Also, on jump squats make sure your shoulder blades are back tight and bar is on your traps/muscle, not on bone! That would do you a mischief!

And don't listen to Fazc! He's a powerlifting snob! HA HA :)

I'd love to see how this transition goes for you. Seriously, power moves help you get the bar moving fast, helps you gain growth in the fast muscle fibers, which are bigger and grow easier. Hypothetically, this will raise all your lifts and I believe that. That's why I'm including them in my next routine.

Only downside is that olympic moves are damn hard on your joints, especially if you're not all that flexible. Work on flexibility more than weight at first! You won't make much progress if you're always nursing a bad wrist or elbow or shoulder or whatever.

My .02

Spartigus 03-29-2012 12:18 AM

BTNP with a snatch grip might be too hard on the shoulders, I did it standing and I was fine. But you could do it as a push press?

The push jerk as Fazc says has a double knee dip. First dip is like a push press, then the 2nd one is where you "catch" the bar as you dip under it.

With the BTNP press + overhead squat, did you mean the snatch balance?

tank 03-29-2012 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazzard (Post 228216)
Yeah. barbell on your back is fine, just be careful with it jumping up and hitting your vertebrae! You can also do it with a trap bar instead if you have one kicking around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeM (Post 228286)
Tank, do you have things of different heights to jump to? Stacking stepup thingys or whatever? You know do 20 jumps onto something 20 inches high, then move up to 20 jumps onto something 22 inches high, etc. etc.

I think you need something measurable as it's too easy to slack off when you're just saying "max effort" jump. Today, my "max effort" jump would mean some leprechaun would have had to work damn hard to slip a dime under my feet, but other days, well I actually jump for real. Just saying.

Also, on jump squats make sure your shoulder blades are back tight and bar is on your traps/muscle, not on bone! That would do you a mischief!

And don't listen to Fazc! He's a powerlifting snob! HA HA :)

I'd love to see how this transition goes for you. Seriously, power moves help you get the bar moving fast, helps you gain growth in the fast muscle fibers, which are bigger and grow easier. Hypothetically, this will raise all your lifts and I believe that. That's why I'm including them in my next routine.

Only downside is that olympic moves are damn hard on your joints, especially if you're not all that flexible. Work on flexibility more than weight at first! You won't make much progress if you're always nursing a bad wrist or elbow or shoulder or whatever.

My .02

thanks guys. i'll be sure to have a tight, meaty rack for the bar to rest on. that's a good idea to measure the vertical jump. i'll have to figure something out like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartigus (Post 228292)
BTNP with a snatch grip might be too hard on the shoulders, I did it standing and I was fine. But you could do it as a push press?

The push jerk as Fazc says has a double knee dip. First dip is like a push press, then the 2nd one is where you "catch" the bar as you dip under it.

With the BTNP press + overhead squat, did you mean the snatch balance?

i did the BTNP w/ snatch grip standing with surprising comfort and figured out the push jerk thanks to you guys. thanks for the video, i'll remember that when it comes time. thanks spart!

Spartigus 03-29-2012 05:00 AM

Thats good to hear! Are you wanting to get into the Oly movements?