Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hooks vs. straps (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9449)

MVP 03-25-2012 09:45 AM

Hooks vs. straps

I don't know if I've mentioned it or not already, but I used to be an amateur boxer back in high school and college (3 years). I ended up with what they call a boxers fracture (broken metacarpals and stuff) from a brawl I had outside of the ring.

Today, my hand still kills me. My broken hand is actually one of the reasons I was medically discharged from the Army. My other hand is also messed up because I had a ganglion cyst removed from it when I was 14 and there is still a big scar there and it's sensitive.

I took the cast off when I had the boxers fracture after about 4 days (I was supposed to keep it on for 2 weeks) but I just couldn't stand it being on. I took the cast off early and it never recuperated. I know it was a dumb decision, but I hated that cast. I took it off and now I have to go the rest of my life with fracture pains or get surgery.

Here lately, it's been aggravating me in my sleep and extreme pain. I compete in archery, and it even hurts when I shoot my bow. I can deadlift with my hands up until about 245lbs then it starts really hurting. I have a set of hooks from Golds Gym I bought from WalMart a few years ago. Would I be better off using hooks or straps? The hooks kind of feel weird, but I've never used straps before. Is there a reason hooks aren't as particularly popular?

Rich Knapp 03-25-2012 09:57 AM

Hooks will releave your hand pain as it takes some weight off the hand were as straps just keep the bar from rolling out you still have to grip hard. Quadriplegic heavy lifters, with them having no hand grip use hooks for lifting for this reason.

I personaly know a Quad that does 150 Db shrugs thanks to hooks. He would never be able to do this with straps or VirsaGrip style straps because of having to use your grip.

MVP 03-25-2012 12:16 PM

Thanks Rich. Today was my body weight exercise day and I attempted some pullups and for some reason I couldn't even do one do to excruciating pain in my hand.

Here recently my hand has been giving me so much trouble that I can't even stand it. I woke up last night with it in pain twice and last night during the archery tournament it was hurting pretty bad.

Do you think there is anything to alleviate pain in my hand with pullups or chin-ups?

Rich Knapp 03-25-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVP (Post 227285)
Thanks Rich. Today was my body weight exercise day and I attempted some pullups and for some reason I couldn't even do one do to excruciating pain in my hand.

Here recently my hand has been giving me so much trouble that I can't even stand it. I woke up last night with it in pain twice and last night during the archery tournament it was hurting pretty bad.

Do you think there is anything to alleviate pain in my hand with pullups or chin-ups?

Hooks or VersaGrips. You are in my boat. Between my nerve damage in the arms and the carpel tunnel I have to use my VersaGrips for a lot more than I would like just for safety reasons.

I also take Nuproxin 2 times a day Doc orders.

MVP 03-25-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Knapp (Post 227314)
Hooks or VersaGrips. You are in my boat. Between my nerve damage in the arms and the carpel tunnel I have to use my VersaGrips for a lot more than I would like just for safety reasons.

I also take Nuproxin 2 times a day Doc orders.

Thanks Rich. Carpel tunnel runs through my family but I am not sure if I have it. Everyone was worried that I did a few years ago as every time I would drive I would get numbness in my arms. Some people told me it could have been circulatory problems and then some said I should get checked for carpel tunnel. I'm still not sure what it was, but I'll try hooks and pullups here in just a few minutes.