Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Fat man master plan

After my meet I am on a mission to lose 50 pounds. My weight was in a good place last year, but I let it slip some chasing bigger numbers. Doing low rep work has also zapped my conditioning, so I want to get back in shape.

Been thinking about:

--Week 1 - Heavy work + complexes
--Week 2 - High Volume work in the 5-10 rep range
--Week 3 - Deload

Week 2 would basically be an upper/lower split, doing 5 sets for all major areas 3x a week. 6 total sessions.

A sample day:

--Dumbbell Bench Press 5 x 6-10
--Barbell Row 5 x 6-10
--Overhead Press 5 x 6-10
--Biceps and triceps

Goal with volume week is to push things in the same manner I am doing right now.

My next meet won't be until early 2013, for what it's worth. Trying to get into Raw Unity.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn
Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94 Points: 23,645, Level: 94
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%

Training Type: Other
5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

How are you going to approach the complexes, at the beginning whilst conditioining needs building up? Are you going for duration of a set length and then meet that target via smaller "sets" of a few minutes, until you hit the desired goal time as one complete set, or do you have a different approach?

Looks good though.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
How are you going to approach the complexes, at the beginning whilst conditioining needs building up? Are you going for duration of a set length and then meet that target via smaller "sets" of a few minutes, until you hit the desired goal time as one complete set, or do you have a different approach?

Looks good though.
I was thinking about building in reps. So if my goal is 10 reps for one lift, start with a couple and add when I can.

I am picking about 6-8 exercises. I guess calling it a circuit would be a better term, since I will be including things like planks.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!5kgLifter is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I was thinking about building in reps. So if my goal is 10 reps for one lift, start with a couple and add when I can.

I am picking about 6-8 exercises. I guess calling it a circuit would be a better term, since I will be including things like planks.
Sounds good. You could always swap from circuits to complexes after a few weeks for a change as well but still along the lines of conditioning.

Have you considered walking lunges with the weight (KB/DB/plate) held overhead at arms length? They're fun, I did some yesterday.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

Quote:
Sounds good. You could always swap from circuits to complexes after a few weeks for a change as well.
I like this suggestion. I have found that sticking with one type of conditioning has limited effects after a while. Your body seems to get used to the exercise and becomes more efficient rather than getting more conditioned. Rotating or switching to different forms of conditioning has seemed to help me a lot.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Sounds good. You could always swap from circuits to complexes after a few weeks for a change as well but still along the lines of conditioning.

Have you considered walking lunges with the weight (KB/DB/plate) held overhead at arms length? They're fun, I did some yesterday.
I don't have many options indoors. Outdoors I could try torture like that.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I like this suggestion. I have found that sticking with one type of conditioning has limited effects after a while. Your body seems to get used to the exercise and becomes more efficient rather than getting more conditioned. Rotating or switching to different forms of conditioning has seemed to help me a lot.
I might rotate at some point, but to be honest I have a long way to go

Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
5kgLifter
Kettlebells' Angel !!!!
Max Brawn

Quote:
I don't have many options indoors. Outdoors I could try torture like that.
If it's to do with distance, I have that problem as well and have to turn around and return to starting point after 4 lunges; then I have to watch that I don't hit the light bulb, halfway through the lunges So far, so good.

Quote:
I might rotate at some point, but to be honest I have a long way to go
Actually, conditioning usual improves pretty rapidly in the first 3-4 weeks
Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
big_swede
Max Brawn
Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100 Points: 34,215, Level: 100
Activity: 62% Activity: 62% Activity: 62%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Cable flyes
Fav Supp: Celltech
big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!big_swede is one with Crom!

Quote:
--Week 2 - High Volume work in the 5-10 rep range
This sounds very painfull, I like it.

Good call doing higher reps for a week too, the increased conditioning will surely benefit your strength in the long run.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_swede View Post
This sounds very painfull, I like it.

Good call doing higher reps for a week too, the increased conditioning will surely benefit your strength in the long run.
Painful and fun. Want to run it for 6 months, shed some fat, and look human again.