Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Fat man master plan (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9388)

BendtheBar 03-19-2012 10:17 AM

Fat man master plan

After my meet I am on a mission to lose 50 pounds. My weight was in a good place last year, but I let it slip some chasing bigger numbers. Doing low rep work has also zapped my conditioning, so I want to get back in shape.

Been thinking about:

--Week 1 - Heavy work + complexes
--Week 2 - High Volume work in the 5-10 rep range
--Week 3 - Deload

Week 2 would basically be an upper/lower split, doing 5 sets for all major areas 3x a week. 6 total sessions.

A sample day:

--Dumbbell Bench Press 5 x 6-10
--Barbell Row 5 x 6-10
--Overhead Press 5 x 6-10
--Biceps and triceps

Goal with volume week is to push things in the same manner I am doing right now.

My next meet won't be until early 2013, for what it's worth. Trying to get into Raw Unity.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

5kgLifter 03-19-2012 10:23 AM

How are you going to approach the complexes, at the beginning whilst conditioining needs building up? Are you going for duration of a set length and then meet that target via smaller "sets" of a few minutes, until you hit the desired goal time as one complete set, or do you have a different approach?

Looks good though.

BendtheBar 03-19-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 225660)
How are you going to approach the complexes, at the beginning whilst conditioining needs building up? Are you going for duration of a set length and then meet that target via smaller "sets" of a few minutes, until you hit the desired goal time as one complete set, or do you have a different approach?

Looks good though.

I was thinking about building in reps. So if my goal is 10 reps for one lift, start with a couple and add when I can.

I am picking about 6-8 exercises. I guess calling it a circuit would be a better term, since I will be including things like planks.

5kgLifter 03-19-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 225661)
I was thinking about building in reps. So if my goal is 10 reps for one lift, start with a couple and add when I can.

I am picking about 6-8 exercises. I guess calling it a circuit would be a better term, since I will be including things like planks.

Sounds good. You could always swap from circuits to complexes after a few weeks for a change as well but still along the lines of conditioning.

Have you considered walking lunges with the weight (KB/DB/plate) held overhead at arms length? They're fun, I did some yesterday.

Off Road 03-19-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 225664)
Sounds good. You could always swap from circuits to complexes after a few weeks for a change as well.

I like this suggestion. I have found that sticking with one type of conditioning has limited effects after a while. Your body seems to get used to the exercise and becomes more efficient rather than getting more conditioned. Rotating or switching to different forms of conditioning has seemed to help me a lot.

BendtheBar 03-19-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5kgLifter (Post 225664)
Sounds good. You could always swap from circuits to complexes after a few weeks for a change as well but still along the lines of conditioning.

Have you considered walking lunges with the weight (KB/DB/plate) held overhead at arms length? They're fun, I did some yesterday.

I don't have many options indoors. :) Outdoors I could try torture like that.

BendtheBar 03-19-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Off Road (Post 225685)
I like this suggestion. I have found that sticking with one type of conditioning has limited effects after a while. Your body seems to get used to the exercise and becomes more efficient rather than getting more conditioned. Rotating or switching to different forms of conditioning has seemed to help me a lot.

I might rotate at some point, but to be honest I have a long way to go :march:

5kgLifter 03-19-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 225696)
I don't have many options indoors. :) Outdoors I could try torture like that.

If it's to do with distance, I have that problem as well and have to turn around and return to starting point after 4 lunges; then I have to watch that I don't hit the light bulb, halfway through the lunges :( So far, so good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 225697)
I might rotate at some point, but to be honest I have a long way to go :march:

Actually, conditioning usual improves pretty rapidly in the first 3-4 weeks :rockon:

big_swede 03-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

--Week 2 - High Volume work in the 5-10 rep range
This sounds very painfull, I like it.

Good call doing higher reps for a week too, the increased conditioning will surely benefit your strength in the long run.

BendtheBar 03-19-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_swede (Post 225717)
This sounds very painfull, I like it.

Good call doing higher reps for a week too, the increased conditioning will surely benefit your strength in the long run.

Painful and fun. Want to run it for 6 months, shed some fat, and look human again.