Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
wesrman
Max Brawn
Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41 Points: 4,311, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Chin Ups
wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I am picking about 6-8 exercises. I guess calling it a circuit would be a better term, since I will be including things like planks.
Nice! Dumbell swings will be great to add to your circuits. Id also recomend you get a heavy bag or a jump rope to make things more fun.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
wesrman
Max Brawn

wesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributorwesrman is a consistent contributor

You could always make a sandbag too.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

As you know I did 2-3 years of BB stuff prior to re-starting the heavy stuff last summer. I definitely think the higher rep stuff transfer over well to single rep stuff, a few thoughts from my experiences:

1) Time your rest between sets to get an accurate idea of progression. 45 second rest between sets works well.

2) High set/rep leg and back work is brutal. In my opinion far more brutal than one 20 rep set is 5 sets of 10 with 45 second rest between sets with a decent weight, that kind of torture is not fun in the slightest and will leave you with little else for the day. Weights will have to be decreased considerably at least at first, no shame in that. Or consider ramping up, or ramping down per set.

3) High rep/set stuff generally works better with full body stuff, for fat loss certainly I would consider your 'fat loss' week to be multiple full body sessions. After doing 5 sets of 10 Squats you won't have much left in the legs, so it's best not to do splits where you need a lot of volume per bodypart. Full body's work better.

4) A typical sunday for me would be this:

Bench Press 3 x 10
Dips 3 x 10
Chins 3 x 10
Bent Row 3 x 10
Squats 3 x 10 ramping
Sissy Squats 3 x 10
SLDL 3 x 10
GMs 3 x 10
Overhead Press 3 x 10
Laterals 3 x 10

30 sets done in less than 60 minutes. Very possible if you're restricting rest between sets and consider this to be one massive circuit.

By the end I was doing full bodys upto 6 days a week, fantastic for rapid fat loss. I know training for fat loss isn't well supported by most people but in my experience this is simply because most people just don't push the limits of how much work they can do in a given week. Obviously diet is important yadda yadda yadda... but training can make a massive difference and this type of stuff 6 days a week will transform you.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I have 50 pound bags of softener salt. We always have them around the house.

Thinking the following exercises, no order determined yet, for starters:

--Planks
--One arm dumbbell snatch - 5 reps
--Sand bag carry, garage and back
--Power clean and press - 5 reps
--Rock pick up and put, to the garage and back

Need a few other good movements...

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post

1) Time your rest between sets to get an accurate idea of progression. 45 second rest between sets works well.
That's how I've trained in the past. 30-45 seconds rest between sets.

Quote:
2) High set/rep leg and back work is brutal. In my opinion far more brutal than one 20 rep set is 5 sets of 10 with 45 second rest between sets with a decent weight, that kind of torture is not fun in the slightest and will leave you with little else for the day. Weights will have to be decreased considerably at least at first, no shame in that. Or consider ramping up, or ramping down per set.
Good thoughts. I handle barbell rows better than dumbbells. I also have T-bar access.

Squats will most likely be 5x5's.

Quote:
High rep/set stuff generally works better with full body stuff, for fat loss certainly I would consider your 'fat loss' week to be multiple full body sessions. After doing 5 sets of 10 Squats you won't have much left in the legs, so it's best not to do splits where you need a lot of volume per bodypart. Full body's work better.
I'll think this over more.

My main issue with fullbodies is time. I've ran fullbodies with more than 4-5 exercises in the past and the changing of weight and setups between exercises drags them out quite a bit for me.

It's an issue of finding a good setup each day so I am not constantly making huge, timely adjustments.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

I'll toss something more detailed out tonight and see what you guys think.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
Fazc
Max Brawn

Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
It's an issue of finding a good setup each day so I am not constantly making huge, timely adjustments.
Exactly yeah. My routines were very much dependant on what my gym set up was like, and how easily I could swing from exercise-to-exercise. Like yourself I mainly work with a simple set up.

Benches into Inclines for example may be better than benches to dips for example.

Squats to Sissy Squats works well, Chins to Chin Shrugs works well. Bent Rows to Bent Shrugs works well. Seated Press supersetted with Side Laterals works well. SLDL into Shrugs works well etc etc etc.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
wesrman
Max Brawn

Like i said dumbell swings. They're rougher than they look.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #19
Fazc
Max Brawn

Whatever you decide anyway, I'm in full support of the plan. It'll be great for your total and your health.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

If you want a full body workout for conditioning, you have the answer right on this site. I've used it in the past and I've recommended it many times. Instead of doing 1 set of 12 reps, you can do the first 4 exercises as a complex, then the next 4 as another complex, and use the last 4 as high rep finishers.

York Course #4

Warm-up…Light Power Snatch
1. Barbell Curls
2. Standing Behind Neck Barbell Presses
3. Upright Rowing
4. Standing Barbell Side Bend
5. Barbell Clean and Press
6. High Pulls (Clean or Snatch Grip)
7. Deep Knee Bend and Press Behind Neck
8. Power Snatches
9. Standing Barbell Press
10. Barbell Bent-Over Row