Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Slingshot (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9370)

miked96 03-17-2012 07:24 AM

Slingshot

Quick question, before I buy one. Is there a big difference between benching with the slingshot and a reverse band bench?

Rich Knapp 03-17-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked96 (Post 225268)
Quick question, before I buy one. Is there a big difference between benching with the slingshot and a reverse band bench?

I could be wrong but I was always under the impression that they originally came out to hold the shoulders in the sockets besides help getting out of the hole.

I'm sure Steve and others with one will chime in on this.

Personally reverse band or chain work IMO would do the same for making gains past a sticky point, all depending on your tastes in how you like to lift, with gear or not, or if you like the look of extra plates vrs bands or chains.

muscle_g 03-17-2012 07:50 AM

Yeah there's a big difference. The slingshot doesn't feels like it takes away any of the weight. Say you do 400lbs with it, your gonna feel 400lbs of weight the entire way through and then have a little pop off of the chest.

BendtheBar 03-17-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked96 (Post 225268)

The Slingshot gives you about 30-40 pounds extra in the hole. It does work like a reverse band in the sense that you can overload, but it doesn't feel like it's pulling the weight up...it feels like it's all you.

Off Road 03-17-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 225275)
it feels like it's all you.

"It's All You Bro"...Sorry, I couldn't resist...Carry on.

miked96 03-17-2012 08:07 AM

Thanks guys. I would be using it after pause work to train my lockout so it sounds like its worth picking up.

BendtheBar 03-17-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miked96 (Post 225279)
Thanks guys. I would be using it after pause work to train my lockout so it sounds like its worth picking up.

It's worth having for shoulder health alone. Before a Slingshot I couldn't train over 80% without constant strains and pains. Now I could bench nearly every day if I wanted to.

Even if you use it for only a few sets it will help in that area as well.

LtL 03-17-2012 08:33 AM

I agree with Steve: slingshot feels more real than a reverse band press. Definitely worth getting.

LtL

J_Byrd 03-17-2012 08:46 AM

I dont use a sling shot, I use the Ram(titan version), but same idea. Nothing like a reverse band as you actually feel the weight. Worth the money, great training tool.

miked96 03-17-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Byrd (Post 225289)
I dont use a sling shot, I use the Ram(titan version), but same idea. Nothing like a reverse band as you actually feel the weight. Worth the money, great training tool.

Thanks, I was going to ask that. I like to order from liftinglarge and they carry titan.