Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Extreme Mini Golf Champion!Tournaments Won: 6

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Didn't mean to get off topic again, but I thought I read somewhere that decline benchpresses could be substituted or serve the same purpose?
Declines are ok. Depending on the lifter they can shorten the range of motion. I was always able to use more weight.

I haven't used them in 20 years so I don't remember much about them.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19 Points: 1,278, Level: 19
Activity: 61% Activity: 61% Activity: 61%

Training Exp: +8 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Syntha 6
MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Didn't mean to get off topic again, but I thought I read somewhere that decline benchpresses could be substituted or serve the same purpose?
Declines are just a shorter ROM bench press. It was designed for the amateurs that believe you can isolate your "lower pecs" and flat works the "middle" and incline works the "upper".

While there is somewhat truth to this scenario. There are two heads to the pectoralis major: clavicular and sternal. The sternal is the lower head to the pec and it stimulates predominantly more with bench presses, while the inclined angle targets the clavicular (upper head) more specifically.

With this in mind, the lower head gets plenty of work with flat bench pressing alone. Dips rely on triceps significantly more than a decline press would. Not to mention the core recruitment either. I'd never substitute dips for decline presses.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
markievicz
Max Brawn
Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74 Points: 12,998, Level: 74
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Training Exp: 2.5yrs
Fav Exercise: OHP
markievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master membermarkievicz is a master member

I'm with Gaspers on this.
Since I started doing more CGBP I saw an improvement in my bench.

That said , weighted dips are always my first port of call for assistance work
markievicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
MC
Six Million Dollar Man
Max Brawn
Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68 Points: 10,643, Level: 68
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 2-3
Training Type: General Fitness
Fav Exercise: Posing
MC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beastMC is a lifting beast

4 sets of 15 Dips every week has gone a long way to helping me grow bigger arms. I don't BB bench, so I have no idea of any carry over.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
SeventySeven
Max Brawn
Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48 Points: 5,586, Level: 48
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%

Tournaments Won: 1

Training Exp: 1 year+
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Xtend
SeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machineSeventySeven is a lifting machine

CGBP has shot my BB and DB bench up big time.
SeventySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

MVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributorMVP is a dedicated contributor

I guess if you have steak and lobster on the menu, and you have the cash, you could just order both.

I guess since the triceps make up 2/3rd of your upper arm it wouldn't hurt to train the triceps directly with two movements.

My decision is to just use both.

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Philippians 4:13"
Old 03-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
J_Byrd
Max Brawn
Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91 Points: 21,229, Level: 91
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Spider Solitare Four Suit Champion! Pick Up Sticks 3D Champion!
Tournaments Won: 3

Training Exp: 15
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Squat
J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!J_Byrd is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
I guess if you have steak and lobster on the menu, and you have the cash, you could just order both.

I guess since the triceps make up 2/3rd of your upper arm it wouldn't hurt to train the triceps directly with two movements.

My decision is to just use both.
Correct choice!

Also decline follows the bar path similar to an equipped bencher, I have used them from time to time. Not a big fan, would rather just use heavy board presses for Tri work.

Proudly sponsored by

http://muscleandbrawn.com

http://bigworkoutplan.com/

http://www.andersonpowerlifting.com/Default.asp

"This is about strength, not getting a 10.0 form score from the Russian judge" Steve Shaw
J_Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
Correct choice!

Also decline follows the bar path similar to an equipped bencher, I have used them from time to time. Not a big fan, would rather just use heavy board presses for Tri work.
I just looked at your signature and my jaw dropped you are one strong dude!

I'll be doing some board presses in the future whenever I am strong enough to need them. I have Westside's book of methods at my house and I'm not really sure right now how the bands, chains, etc. benefits strength training but I am definitely going to be doing that kind of stuff in the future!

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm just going to do both CGBP and dips. I got my bench up to 310 last year without any direct tricep work, so I guess with direct tricep work I might be able to really achieve some greatness!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #19
Ryano
Max Brawn
Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50 Points: 6,089, Level: 50
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Training Exp: 30
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Benchpress
Fav Supp: Buttweiser
Ryano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master memberRyano is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Declines are just a shorter ROM bench press. It was designed for the amateurs that believe you can isolate your "lower pecs" and flat works the "middle" and incline works the "upper".

While there is somewhat truth to this scenario. There are two heads to the pectoralis major: clavicular and sternal. The sternal is the lower head to the pec and it stimulates predominantly more with bench presses, while the inclined angle targets the clavicular (upper head) more specifically.

With this in mind, the lower head gets plenty of work with flat bench pressing alone. Dips rely on triceps significantly more than a decline press would. Not to mention the core recruitment either. I'd never substitute dips for decline presses.
Forgive me, but didn't you just answer your own original question?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
MVP
Liftin' heavy
Uber Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
Forgive me, but didn't you just answer your own original question?
No, my original question was close grip bench press vs. dips. My post you quoted was decline press vs. dips.