Muscle and Brawn Forums

Muscle and Brawn Forums (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting & Strength Training (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A/B Variations (http://www.muscleandbrawn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9258)

Max 03-08-2012 10:56 AM

A/B Variations

I was just wondering if anyone had a viable A/B/A combination for:

Squat
FSquat
Bench
Rows
DLift
OHP
CnP

.......Would OHP and CnP be too taxing on shoulders if combined? Or should they be rotated?

BigJosh 03-08-2012 11:02 AM

I used an A/B variation recently. Here is the log:http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/tra...sh-weight.html
It may help give you an idea. You could remove and add where desired.

BendtheBar 03-08-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 222771)

Squat
FSquat
Bench
Rows
DLift
OHP
CnP

.......Would OHP and CnP be too taxing on shoulders if combined? Or should they be rotated?

I personally would rotate them.

One possible option...

Workout A
Clean and Press
Squat
Bench Press
Rows

Workout B
Deadlift
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Dips/Pullups superset

Max 03-08-2012 11:22 AM

Thanks Josh, I had viewed yours last week and was trying to find it again,lol..will definately give it another look. And Steve did you put those in specific order? Thanks.

BendtheBar 03-08-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 222778)
Thanks Josh, I had viewed yours last week and was trying to find it again,lol..will definately give it another look. And Steve did you put those in specific order? Thanks.

Yes. In general my rules are:

--Olympic lifts/variations first
--Deadlifts and squats
--Heavy compound posterior chain movements (RDLs, good mornings, etc.)
--Presses and rows
--Everything else, compound and most taxing to isolation

Also, if I have 2 pressing movements in a training day I like to split them to allow the triceps to recover. This really doesn't come into play in your routine.

In some cases I will power the Olympic variation after squats and deadlifts. I do this often myself, especially if my lower back is feeling sub-par.

Off Road 03-08-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 222774)
Workout A
Clean and Press
Squat
Bench Press
Rows

Workout B
Deadlift
Front Squat
Overhead Press
Dips/Pullups superset

Exactly what I was thinking too.

Max 03-08-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BendtheBar (Post 222781)
Yes. In general my rules are:

--Deadlifts and squats
--Presses and rows

Also, if I have 2 pressing movements in a training day I like to split them to allow the triceps to recover. This really doesn't come into play in your routine.

In some cases I will power the Olympic variation after squats and deadlifts. I do this often myself, especially if my lower back is feeling sub-par.

Makes sense and thanks again...just don't want set myself up for epic failure!:(

BendtheBar 03-08-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 222847)
Makes sense and thanks again...just don't want set myself up for epic failure!:(

Questions are good. The more you learn, the more you can help others.

Max 03-08-2012 05:22 PM

Thanks man..Im glad you don't mind.I've always been a closet athlete cause unfortunately where I come from it was uncool to be healthy and take care of yourself,although I wrestled and played football. I fell prey to peer pressure and partying and I'd just like to give props to you ,the members and this site for helping rediscover my true passion in life. Im sure it's already had a positive impact on alot members and people!.....I just wish I'd found it 10 yrs ago. :(

MVP 03-08-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max (Post 222771)

Squat
FSquat
Bench
Rows
DLift
OHP
CnP

I would do OHP and CnP on different days personally. It would drain your CNS or anything, but it would potentially hinder your progress.

I would do your A/B/A schedules like this...

Workout A
Squat
Bench
Rows
CnP

Workout B
Deadlift
OHP
Front Squat
Pullup

Quote:

--Deadlifts and squats
--Presses and rows
You know this has always been my logic as well, but I guess I just completely let that slip. Yes, do your Olympic lifts (CnP) before your lifts on Workout A. Thanks for bringing this point up.