Muscle and Brawn Forums

Go Back   Muscle and Brawn Forums > Training > Powerlifting & Strength Training
Mark Forums Read
Register Articles Members List Search Today's Posts

Notices

Powerlifting & Strength Training Topics related to powerlifting and strength training.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Dimel Deadlifts for Lockout

One of the latest Power Project videos was talking about doing dimel deadlifts for sets of 20 to 25 reps using 20-40% of your deadlift max.

Jesse Burdick mentioned this was a prime factor in helping one of the members bump from 650 to a 710 deadlift.

Just thought I would post this for discussion.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

I'm gonna give these a go. Try to turn on the glutes and hips to firing properly.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100

BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I did dimels once but I tried to low rep, heavy weight them. This has peaked my interest. I'm up for trying anything that can help.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Well it's a no lose really. They're not heavy enough to do any damage so they can only be a good thing.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Info from Elite for anyone curious:

EliteFTS - Superior Products and Knowledge for Lifters, Athletes, Coaches, and Trainers

Quote:
Category: Supplemental and Accessory

Muscles Targeted: Hamstrings and Lower Back

Exercise Description: This exercise helped Matt Dimel increase his squat from the mid-800s to over 1000 pounds in a two year period. To perform this exercise, grab a barbell with an overhand grip, hands about shoulder-width apart. Pull the bar up to a standing position.

At this point, arch your back and get your abs tight. Keep the back as arched as possible, push the glutes out, and keep the knees slightly bent. Lower the bar by pushing your body weight back onto your heals while pushing your glutes out. Try to lower the barbell to a position just past the knees. At this point you should feel a tremendous stretch in the glutes and hamstrings.

Raise by contracting your glutes first. At the top of the movement, contract the glutes as hard as possible. Perform the exercise in a ballistic fashion. You want to drop to the midpoint position and explode back to the starting position. This is best trained with moderate weight for sets of 15-20 reps.

Training Mistakes

Going too low. Make sure to keep the tension on the hamstrings.

Not pushing the hips and glutes back. This is also to keep the stress on the hamstrings.

Rounding the back. Keep your back arched to help keep the stress on the hamstrings.

Using a slow tempo. This movement is designed to be trained fast. You'll begin with a slow tempo and build the speed up with each additional repetition.
Attached Thumbnails
Dimel-DL.jpg  

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

I used to do a variation which was more medium-heavy, with the same purpose.

I found I got very good results from a very, very strict RDL, shoulders shrugged right back with the same form as the pointers above. So it was quite a different perspective to doing them as a pure strength movement. I never did them for very high reps though, more like 5's with around 350-400lbs. The reps/weight make them sound quite different from Dimels but I don't think the number of reps are as important as the execution.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

The aspect that peaked my interest was the glute/high rep combination. Last year I focused a lot on high rep sumos which really taxed my glutes. It was during this time that my deadlift jumped quite a bit.

I think it was the first time in my lifting career that I actually focused on a glute intense exercise.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
The aspect that peaked my interest was the glute/high rep combination. Last year I focused a lot on high rep sumos which really taxed my glutes. It was during this time that my deadlift jumped quite a bit.

I think it was the first time in my lifting career that I actually focused on a glute intense exercise.
Right exactly, the hips/glutes are what will help to finish a conventional pull at the top. Pavel in his PTP Professional book (very good book by the by), say's that alternating between Conv and Sumo style Deadlifts generally offers good benefits to both. I know conventional wisdom says to train Conv style to benefit Sumo style but the opposite can also true.

I'd much rather do a heavy pull like Sumo's than Dimels and the like, but I guess that would reflect on your training style.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
miked96
Max Brawn
Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75 Points: 13,418, Level: 75
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

miked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master membermiked96 is a master member

I like them and used them a while back but went a little heavier than 225. I had a problem of leaving my hips back and making it very hard to lockout a weight. If it was a max attempt, I would sometime go brain dead and have the thing pulled over my knees and pull like hell but not push my hips through. Result was a missed lift. Not only was this a good exercise as far as targeting my hips and glutes, it helped fix a pretty common form issue.
A lot of times is not the lockout per say thats weak, its that people don't realize that once the bar clears the knees the pulling should really be over. Push your hips through violently and the weight will naturally lockout. This helped me do that.
miked96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked96 View Post
Push your hips through violently and the weight will naturally lockout. This helped me do that.
This is something I beat like a drum, though I call it "screwing the bar." (to translate from French)

I see far too many people pulling after the bar is above the knees. I don't pull. I thrust my hips forward and my head bar.